Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2015, 01:54 PM

13 posts, read 35,417 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I recently relocated to Huntsville due to my husband's job, however I'm having a terrible time with the job search. It appears every job opening ends with 'engineer', IT related or occasionally has the 'supply chain' title. Please tell me that other employment opportunities exist here besides rocket scientist or engineer! My background is in advertising and marketing yet I've scoured every job board, employment agency and company website only to come up empty handed. I've searched LinkedIN, USAJobs, Chamber of Commerce, etc., and found nothing that slightly fits my background. It's only been a month, but discouragement and despair are starting to sit in (okay...I'm being a bit dramatic).

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 02:24 PM

12 posts, read 16,464 times
Also sign up for Indeed and Career Builder. Craigslist may be another avenue. St John's Church in Madison has a networking job club that may be of help. St Joseph Job Club. They may have suggestions and can have someone review your resume. It's a different job market here. It will take you awhile to get settled and adjusted to the area. It's also summer and we just had a holiday which slows everything down. Good luck with your search.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:22 PM

13 posts, read 35,417 times
Thank you! I've been on Indeed and Careerbuilder but will continue to look. I'll check out the church group as well. Thanks again!

Old 07-15-2015, 09:19 AM

183 posts, read 229,567 times
I've always taken a different approach and it has served me well. I pick out the companies I like, learn as much as I can about them, and then write a letter to the appropriate division/department head, and HR, that gives a little info about me and my expertise and how I might help them. I include a resume as well. At the very least, even if they aren't hiring, I usually get an interview, and I have received offers. As well, they have kept my resume and called me months later when they have an opening.

Since you have a background in marketing and advertising, if that is what you want to do, then study the companies that appeal to you, whether they be creative or engineering firms. Find out what you can from the local news and their own PR and website and then put your creative juices to work and figure out how you might be helpful.

Just as an example, I've attended many events at the civic center where they hand you a little printed guide or play-bill when you enter. Usually some local companies have purchased advertisements. Usually, several could be improved. If I were you, I might re-do a couple of the ads and send a note to the company explaining how their ad could make more of an impact with these "few" changes, and how you'd love to discuss how you could help them even more.

Good luck.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:55 AM

53 posts, read 54,919 times
May be a foot in the door: Administrative Xtra Assistant

Old 07-15-2015, 01:09 PM

705 posts, read 939,929 times
I was told it takes 7 to 8 Months in Huntsville and I believe it. I accepted a job in Germany after 7 Months there and only then did the Huntsville offers start rolling in.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:03 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,226,705 times
https://joblink.alabama.gov/ada/skil...us+is+included.

You can check here too

Old 07-15-2015, 05:17 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,983,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y8tiger View Post
I was told it takes 7 to 8 Months in Huntsville and I believe it. I accepted a job in Germany after 7 Months there and only then did the Huntsville offers start rolling in.
Many years ago I was told that it takes 30 days per $10K of your annual salary to find a job on average.

This means if you are making $70K per year, then on average it will take you 7 months to find that job.

Be patient. Have a plan. Multi-task. But most importantly, be kind to yourself. Nobody wants to hire a frustrated & desperate applicant. Learn to come across as a confident, pleasant, person. Fake it if you must
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
View detailed profiles of: