Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:13 AM

144 posts, read 433,258 times

Advertisements

I haven’t had a firearm class of any kind in quite some time, and would like to take a refresher course, and plan on applying for a conceal carry permit here soon in Madison County. I did a quick search on the NRA website which directs you to several classes offered in the area. My question is, has anyone taken any of these classes and if so, at which location or instructor? I noticed there’s Gander Mtn. and a place in Athens, and I know that Last Resort is working on a class curriculum and indoor range.

Aside from handgun training, I have a shotgun that I’d like to shoot but understand that I’d have to get some sort of hunting license and can only shoot it at Swan Creek?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 10:35 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoo Shin View Post
I haven’t had a firearm class of any kind in quite some time, and would like to take a refresher course, and plan on applying for a conceal carry permit here soon in Madison County. I did a quick search on the NRA website which directs you to several classes offered in the area. My question is, has anyone taken any of these classes and if so, at which location or instructor? I noticed there’s Gander Mtn. and a place in Athens, and I know that Last Resort is working on a class curriculum and indoor range.

Aside from handgun training, I have a shotgun that I’d like to shoot but understand that I’d have to get some sort of hunting license and can only shoot it at Swan Creek?
You can shot at Swan Creek, but you don't need a hunting license, just a $10.60 "conservation license" you can print that license from here:

http://www.outdooralabama.com/huntin...creekrange.cfm

You must have that license to shoot anything at the range....not just a shotgun, all guns....

The ranges are great, you see some crazy stuff though....

I have never taken a NRA class, however, I see the guy at "The Last Resort" out at Swan Creek very often....

Old 02-05-2013, 12:58 PM

230 posts, read 388,227 times
Swan Creek makes me VERY nervous if there are more than a few people there. No rangemasters, and a public that ranges from knows well what it is doing to no clue about firearms safety. I have had guns "accidentally" pointed at me numerous times there, and regularly hear reports of folks walking out on a "cold" range only to have someone further down the line start shooting. I *really* don't like having guns pointed at me by folks with poor muzzle discipline, or being shot at by idiots who don't understand they're sharing a public space with others and rules apply.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:18 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
I'm not swearing to it but I thought in another thread some time ago, someone said something about NRA certified instructors out near Sharon Johnston park... anyone (?)

Old 02-05-2013, 08:21 PM

Found it... Madison County Shooting Sports Association - MCSSA - Home

Old 02-06-2013, 02:15 PM

41 posts, read 67,632 times
Im not sure about NRA instructors at the Sharon Johnson park , but the range is pretty good for the price. It also has skeet shooting there as well. I live out that way , so its great for me.

As far as a class , I'm pretty sure that Larry's pistol and pawn has a certified NRA instrucor and they do a couple different classes there. I'd give them a call.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:12 AM

329 posts, read 512,017 times
I like Swan Creek. It's close by, no 3 second rule and you can shoot full auto.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,301 times
Here is the place you need to go for all your NRA firearms instruction. It's called North Alabama Firearms Training (NAFT). Check out our website. [url=http://www.naft-llc.com]North Alabama Firearms Training | Athens, AL 35613[/url] for more information and to sign up for class.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:00 PM

Thanks for that link Skibert
here it is active... North Alabama Firearms Training | Athens, AL 35613

Old 02-17-2013, 09:30 AM

144 posts, read 433,258 times
Excellent that's excactly what I was looking for and the prices look pretty good. I'm going to try and sign up for the shotgun, pistol and home classes. I'll follow up with my thoughts once I complete them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area