Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 08:55 AM

561 posts, read 1,512,528 times

Advertisements

Being WAY OUTSIDE the broadcast areas of local Huntsville stations, we rely on satellite, currently Dish Network. We lost CBS/Ch. 19 around the first of June because, apparently, the owners of CH. 19 and Dish cannot come to an agreement -- so both "children" remain in their on-going disagreement while rural customers suffer.

Now the same appears to be happening with NBC/Ch. 48, so I'm guessing we're gonna lose that channel too! I suppose both are trying to get their hands into the other's pockets, but they only come across as nothing more than greedy corporations IMHO.

While living in the sticks has some advantages, we don't have much choice for TV viewing -- cable isn't here (choosing not to service this area), internet isn't good enough for live streaming, antenna can't pick up broadcast signals (no matter what you have) because too many miles and hills between it and the broadcast.

Message to Huntsville broadcast TV stations and Dish Network -- c'mon kids, work out your problems and get back to broadcasting your signal to the customer because, duh....customers are the reason you're in business!

SHEESH!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 12:11 PM

23,596 posts, read 70,391,434 times
You could switch to Directv. The owner of Dish is a real piece of work and it grates my sense of fairness that anyone gives him money.

If you are in the shadow of a hill, you may be out of luck with OTA. I found a couple spots on my property that have signal, and use a yagi and amplifier to bring the stations in. The subchannels of the stations get watched more than the main channels. I never even saw them with either Dish or Directv.

I use Exede for internet. There are issues, but streaming is usually possible, although it eats up bandwidth.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:56 PM

266 posts, read 396,790 times
You can try a website like tvfool.com to see if they can give you any insight into why you are not picking up any of the over the air channels. You might have to go with on of those attic mount antenna. I doubt you will be able to get anything with a flat style OTA antenna.

I live in Madison and I had to install an OTA antenna on the second floor and had to point the antenna East in order to pick up NBC.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:53 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,592,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
Being WAY OUTSIDE the broadcast areas of local Huntsville stations, we rely on satellite, currently Dish Network. We lost CBS/Ch. 19 around the first of June because, apparently, the owners of CH. 19 and Dish cannot come to an agreement -- so both "children" remain in their on-going disagreement while rural customers suffer.

Now the same appears to be happening with NBC/Ch. 48, so I'm guessing we're gonna lose that channel too! I suppose both are trying to get their hands into the other's pockets, but they only come across as nothing more than greedy corporations IMHO.

While living in the sticks has some advantages, we don't have much choice for TV viewing -- cable isn't here (choosing not to service this area), internet isn't good enough for live streaming, antenna can't pick up broadcast signals (no matter what you have) because too many miles and hills between it and the broadcast.

Message to Huntsville broadcast TV stations and Dish Network -- c'mon kids, work out your problems and get back to broadcasting your signal to the customer because, duh....customers are the reason you're in business!

SHEESH!!!
Don't blame Huntsville's WHNT/Ch 19 station. They have no say in this. The problem is with WHNT's owner Tribune Broadcasting. Contracts broke down between Tribune Broadcasting and Dish on June 12. At that time all of Tribune Broadcasting's 42 stations including WGN America were dropped by Dish.

As far as WAFF/Ch 48 goes it is up to its owner Raycom Media. I have seen nothing in the news regarding any negotiations between it and Dish except those that happened in 2013.

Tribune's 42 Local Stations and Cable Net WGN America Forced Off Dish
Tribune's 42 Local Stations and Cable Net WGN America Forced Off Dish - KCTV5

Dish Totally Unresponsive in Negotiations with Tribune Broadcasting
Dish Totally Unresponsive in Negotiations with Tribune Broadcasting - KFDA - NewsChannel 10 / Amarillo News, Weather, Sports

Tribune Broadcasting Stations
Tribune Media | Our Brands

Raycom Media Television Stations
Raycom Media - Companies

Old 07-30-2016, 05:21 PM

I appreciate the input. @MisterEd51, I know it's not the specific channels per se, but their owners. I really wish the FCC could step in to put an end to Dish's non-negotiation tactics--DISH will be losing our business for sure one way or another. We didn't install satellite for the their umpteen stupid channels, but for the local news and weather (albeit, as local as I can get in our area.) In the meantime, we'll look into DirecTV and hope they don't run the same game on their customers. Thanks for the help!

Old 07-30-2016, 10:06 PM

3,662 posts, read 2,943,593 times
Don't give another penny to that Jerk that owns Dish Network. Read some of his antics.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:09 AM

640 posts, read 697,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
I appreciate the input. @MisterEd51, I know it's not the specific channels per se, but their owners. I really wish the FCC could step in to put an end to Dish's non-negotiation tactics--DISH will be losing our business for sure one way or another. We didn't install satellite for the their umpteen stupid channels, but for the local news and weather (albeit, as local as I can get in our area.) In the meantime, we'll look into DirecTV and hope they don't run the same game on their customers. Thanks for the help!
Actually I applaud Dish for trying to hold the line against the local stations and their increasing demands. Those stations get to use the public airwaves for free, and yet we still have to pay again to receive them. Wow breaks out the charges for local stations - if it is accurate, I am paying nearly $10 a month.

Charlie Ergen is not a nice person, but you can credit him for breaking up the DirecTV monopoly and bringing the price of satellite equipment and service down to a more affordable level.

And with the Deathstar now owning DirecTV, you can bet the only thing holding down DT prices is Dish.

Both Dish and DirecTv had to pay for their airwaves, which our local stations got for free.

David

Old 07-31-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Don't give another penny to that Jerk that owns Dish Network. Read some of his antics.
Where????

Old 07-31-2016, 03:45 PM

90 posts, read 187,848 times
If you're really desperate for CBS you can call Dish to change your local channels to Nashville. I've done this in the past. It may take a couple tries to convince a Dish Rep to change it.

Last edited by JJ270; 07-31-2016 at 04:14 PM..

Old 07-31-2016, 04:05 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,214,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
Actually I applaud Dish for trying to hold the line against the local stations and their increasing demands. Those stations get to use the public airwaves for free, and yet we still have to pay again to receive them. Wow breaks out the charges for local stations - if it is accurate, I am paying nearly $10 a month.
This. It is pure greed on the part of the locals / parent companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area