Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2021, 06:18 AM

11 posts, read 10,098 times

Advertisements

How bad is "the bug problem" in the summer in Alabama?

I wonder if having a lot of large trees around the house has something to do with the number of these?

Considering a move to Madison, just wondering how it is over there compared to heavily infested states like SC or GA.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2021, 07:15 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,921,266 times
I just moved to Alabama recently so what do I really know?! Madison is quite developed so I bet there isn't a big bug problem like where I live, Arab a small town 35 miles southeast of Madison. Tons of trees, dense forest, ponds and fields. Lots of bugs. Mostly stink bugs that come in the house. They hang out on the ceilings and walls and then drop to the floor dead if you don't get them first without them emitting their stink. Apparently they're pretty harmless as they don't have pincers to bite human flesh with (from what I've read).

But Madison is fairly near the Tennessee River and even though they are developing that area like crazy (Triana, etc.) I think there's still going to be a fair amount of bugs, but not like SC or GA, IMO. There are some beautiful neighborhoods out that way (just north of Triana), but I bet they get a lot of bugs.

Old 05-08-2021, 11:11 AM

23,612 posts, read 70,493,499 times
Palmetto bugs don't do well when there is a cold winter. When I lived in south Florida, they were a fact of life. I rarely see one here. What I do see are fire ants, Asian ladybugs, and stinkbugs. Seasonally, there will be June bugs, lightning bugs, carpenter bees, and wasps.

Old 05-08-2021, 11:56 AM

11 posts, read 10,098 times
Oh, that's great! To be honest, I'm not a big fan of palmetto bugs (nobody is, right?).

Old 05-09-2021, 06:16 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,135,401 times
Well.. I've lived in N. Alabama for about 40 yrs. I never saw them until where I live now in S. Hsv. My back yard butts up against the back of Green Mtn. If I go behind my shed and pick up plant pots (or really anything else that has been sitting for a while) I can guarantee you some will crawl out from under. Last week I was pulling weeds from the mulch out by the curb and there were some in there. In garden mulch is where I most frequently see them. I HATE them and one does occasionally get into the house. The brown recluse might be happy about that. lol.

Oh.. I take that back... in the late 70s I lived in a small rental house off of Governor's. RR tracks ran thru the backyard. And I mean.. right thru the backyard. When a train came by all sorts of things moved toward the house, including palmettos.

Old 05-09-2021, 10:20 AM

656 posts, read 593,474 times
Harry's assessment is spot on.
I would also add spiders. Wolf spiders are very common and can get into the house. A craw space or water shutoff valve cubby is always a good place to find them too.

https://www.al.com/outdoors/2016/06/...f_alabama.html

Old 05-09-2021, 11:39 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,225,709 times
The worst are the Love Bugs. They don't harm you but man they are brutal to get off your car

Old 05-09-2021, 03:19 PM

13,029 posts, read 9,555,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
The worst are the Love Bugs. They don't harm you but man they are brutal to get off your car
We don't have love bugs this far north. They're a huge issue on the coast and in Florida though. There are plenty of bugs hitting your windshield in the summer though, that's the case everywhere.

Old 05-10-2021, 12:02 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,225,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
We don't have love bugs this far north. They're a huge issue on the coast and in Florida though. There are plenty of bugs hitting your windshield in the summer though, that's the case everywhere.

Man I thought they were common throughout the state

Old 05-10-2021, 06:16 AM

13,029 posts, read 9,555,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
Man I thought they were common throughout the state
Went to see a Shuttle launch sometime back in the 80s and stayed in a hotel near the cape. The hotel gave free coupons for a car wash because of the love bugs. I'd never heard of them before then.

There are cockroaches here but I don't know if they're the palmetto bug variety. Regardless, plenty of bugs of some variety in the spring and summer months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area