Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2022, 01:35 AM

130 posts, read 106,333 times

Advertisements

Thought I would start a thread to list some eyesores in Madison. There is one I drive by everyday and I still don't understand what the heck that is all about.

800 block of Slaughter Rd, almost across from St Andrews Anglican Mission Church-there is shack, with overgrown brush all around it- if I had to guess, it has probably been sitting there for 30 years untouched.

I don't understand how the city can allow a structure like that to just sit untouched-what exactly are they waiting for before they demolish it?

If that property has any historical significance, they need to fix it. Otherwise, I don't understand what purpose that serves.

Last edited by HSVAeroEngineer; 09-01-2022 at 01:46 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2022, 07:22 AM

765 posts, read 1,111,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVAeroEngineer View Post
Thought I would start a thread to list some eyesores in Madison. There is one I drive by everyday and I still don't understand what the heck that is all about.

800 block of Slaughter Rd, almost across from St Andrews Anglican Mission Church-there is shack, with overgrown brush all around it- if I had to guess, it has probably been sitting there for 30 years untouched.

I don't understand how the city can allow a structure like that to just sit untouched-what exactly are they waiting for before they demolish it?

If that property has any historical significance, they need to fix it. Otherwise, I don't understand what purpose that serves.
The property you speak of is actually in the City of Huntsville. May don't realize that Slaughter Rd is in three jurisdictions - the City of Huntsville (mostly on the eastern side), the City of Madison (mostly on the western side) and unincorporated Madison County (primarily in the center portion and on the northern end near U.S. 72). Because there are three governments involved, it takes a good bit of coordination just to get the road repaved. There is actually a neighborhood on the eastern side of Slaughter Rd. off Kannon Dr. which is in the City of Madison. The other neighborhoods on the eastern side are in the City of Huntsville but have a Madison 35758 address.

Where it really gets confusing is the neighborhood just north of the intersection with Old Madison Pike (called Skyline Acres) where it is literally lot by lot where some lots are in unincorporated Madison County, and some are in the City of Madison. The reason for this is that originally, all of the neighborhood was in the County (not annexed into Madison) and the kids were zoned for Madison County Schools which were located in Madison. However, in the early 1990's, the residents of the City of Madison voted to create their own City School System and it was only for City residents - they took over all of the Madison County Schools located within their city limits. This meant that neighborhoods that were not in the City of Madison but had been zoned for those schools could no longer attend them, but now had to go to Madison County Schools north of US 72. However, some of those residents who were geographically adjacent to the Madison City limits have chosen over time ot be annexed to Madison in order to attend Madison City Schools. However, you have to be geographically adjacent to a property already in the City of Madison to be able to do this. SO, over the past thirty years, as some homes have been annexed, mor homes in that neighborhood have also annexed, whereas others have not.

In summary, there is a real hodge-podge of neighborhoods which are in the City of Huntsville, or Madison or the unincorporated County all over the western areas. This is especially true north of 72 where Huntsville has annexed many neighborhoods and even parts of some neighborhoods, so it gets confusing to know who is providing services and which school district you are in. You have to look at the Madison County Tax Assessors Map and at each parcel to find out which tax district the property is in.

Old 09-01-2022, 08:04 AM

2,454 posts, read 3,221,064 times
Quote:

What city ordinance is being violated? If none, then what can the city do? As a Republican, I'm a bit surprised that you would want government to come and dictate what someone can or cannot do with their property. If it bothers you, you could buy it and take care of it. Here's the details for that property.

https://madisonproperty.countygovser...4&taxyear=2022

Make them an offer. Or, being the altruistic kind of person you are, contact them and offer to clean it up for them.

BTW, this particular "eyesore" is in Huntsville, not Madison, so you are off topic on your own thread.

Old 09-01-2022, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
What city ordinance is being violated? If none, then what can the city do? As a Republican, I'm a bit surprised that you would want government to come and dictate what someone can or cannot do with their property. If it bothers you, you could buy it and take care of it. Here's the details for that property.

https://madisonproperty.countygovser...4&taxyear=2022

Make them an offer. Or, being the altruistic kind of person you are, contact them and offer to clean it up for them.

BTW, this particular "eyesore" is in Huntsville, not Madison, so you are off topic on your own thread.
Thanks for doing your homework on this. Does anybody know Anna Ossip? I would like to meet her and have a conversation just to get a glimpse of how her mind works. That home is currently appraised at $0

Old 09-01-2022, 04:25 PM

295 posts, read 237,199 times
Probably just waiting for a builder to offer her big bucks for her 5.7 acres on Slaughter Road with the intent of building a small development or a business and who will tear down the house themselves... no reason for her to spend a lot of her money to do it if it is not violating the law.

Old 09-01-2022, 04:29 PM

610 posts, read 531,133 times
Quote:
Thanks for doing your homework on this. Does anybody know Anna Ossip? I would like to meet her and have a conversation just to get a glimpse of how her mind works. That home is currently appraised at $0
Her mailing address is 128 Eastview and it looks like she runs a daycare at that address. This link includes a phone number so give her a call or drop by. Let us know how that conversation goes.

https://www.daycare.com/php/showlist...D=00403917&p=0

Old 09-01-2022, 04:57 PM

13,018 posts, read 9,541,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhisent View Post
Probably just waiting for a builder to offer her big bucks for her 5.7 acres on Slaughter Road with the intent of building a small development or a business and who will tear down the house themselves... no reason for her to spend a lot of her money to do it if it is not violating the law.
Slaughter Rd is scheduled for widening, supposedly fairly soon but in reality, it'll probably be like Zierdt Rd was - about 15 years from conception to completion. The referenced building might bite the dust when the road project actually happens.

Old 09-01-2022, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Slaughter Rd is scheduled for widening, supposedly fairly soon but in reality, it'll probably be like Zierdt Rd was - about 15 years from conception to completion. The referenced building might bite the dust when the road project actually happens.
It does not take a genius to realize that Slaughter, Wall Triana and other North-South roads here were never meant to handle the amount of traffic we are seeing right now- I can only imagine what is going to be like in 5 years.

They are all dangerous roads-usually there is no lane divider, no shoulder, no sidewalk in some areas- I came close to rear ending someone at least twice-I have seen more than a few accidents where someone rear ended somebody due to not paying attention when the traffic all of the sudden stops.

Old 09-01-2022, 05:15 PM

13,018 posts, read 9,541,871 times
Quote:
It does not take a genius to realize that Slaughter, Wall Triana and other North-South roads here were never meant to handle the amount of traffic we are seeing right now- I can only imagine what is going to be like in 5 years.

They are all dangerous roads-usually there is no lane divider, no shoulder, no sidewalk in some areas- I came close to rear ending someone at least twice-I have seen more than a few accidents where someone rear ended somebody due to not paying attention when the traffic all of the sudden stops.
Yep, no doubt you're right about that. Slaughter Rd has the additional hazard of having deep, open ditches on the sides in places, with very little shoulder. It should be a top priority, but when the road goes through Huntsville, Madison, and Madison County there are lots of political squabbles. I'm in favor of a metro government, or at least for some functions (e.g., police, fire) but nobody seems to want something like that. Too many feelings get hurt, and even job losses result from consolidation. Nashville did it many years ago (maybe 40 or 50) and they have thrived and have a beautiful city. Madison might have to be an island since nobody wants to give up one of the best school systems in the state, understandably.

Old 09-02-2022, 09:47 PM

493 posts, read 714,457 times
Quote:
Probably longer than that. Back in the late 90's it looked about the same as it does now and that was over 20 years ago. I used to be able to see that it was heaped with furniture and other objects inside because there has not been a front door on it for many years. Most recently it has not very visible from the road because brush has grown up around it. I agree with you, someone needs to tear that thing down and haul the debris away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area