Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 10:14 PM

297 posts, read 1,300,428 times

Advertisements

Are the school decent here and can one live and commute easily to Huntsville or to Decatur? Also in Madison is it as scenic as some areas of Huntsville. Is there any mountain views here? Appreciate any info from someone that lives in this area.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 10:41 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
If you're working in Decatur, why not live in Decatur? Same for Huntsville. All three are fine places to live. What are your priorities? Sounds like you have some questions to ask of yourself before you ask others.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:28 PM

355 posts, read 964,259 times
No. J/k.

Madison is OK. I don't think its very scenic, but they constantly rate high as far as good places to live. Recommend you do some more homework by searching Google for "madison best places to live"

Old 07-05-2010, 02:23 PM

956 posts, read 2,501,490 times
Madison has a wonderful school system. Check GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community for school ratings in all areas. I live in Madison and feel overall, it's fairly flat. We DO have areas that are gorgeous with great views, however. Many of the older subdivisions have some amazing mountain views. For new construction, not much character in any price range honestly. Not trying to poo poo my fine city, but just speaking the truth, lol.

Easy commute to Decatur and Huntsville. Madison was awarded the "best place to grow up" and several other top 10 accolades. I love living in Madison myself.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:30 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth_G View Post
For new construction, not much character in any price range honestly. Not trying to poo poo my fine city, but just speaking the truth, lol.
Oh I don't know about that... I see many fine homes with characters in Cliff's Cove, Waterford, etc. subdivisions.

But if you want mountain "view", go to SE, Monte Sano, Hampton Cove or Gurly.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:57 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,268,242 times
Mountain views are definitely better in the east, around Hampton Cove, Monte Sano area. There are some new neighborhoods being built that are going to be fantastic when they are finished. But you are going to have a heck of a commute to Decatur...

We love living in Madison, but I also am becoming increasingly fond of the Hampton Cove area. I love Clearwater, and would love to build out there.... a neighborhood designed for water skiing...that's my kind of place! I am keeping my eye on a few lots there...

Old 07-05-2010, 03:42 PM

But hey, we have aligators in Madison now. Take that Hampton Cove !

Old 07-05-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
But hey, we have aligators in Madison now. Take that Hampton Cove !
What? Where have I been? Maybe we could catch them and have our own mini version of Fudpuckers here....you and I can sell bait to the kids and let them feed the gators, lol. Bet I could find a subidivison with a community lake that would let us set up shop, lol.

We do have some very nice subdivisions in the upper end in Madison. I stand corrected HB2HSV. I was not thinking of anything that high, lol. Clifts Cove is just about sold out now. Just a few lots left! Highland lakes only has 2 or 3. There is a new subdivision being cut in right now off of Kensington. I fell in love with the wooded lots until I found out they are starting at $200,000 per lot. Good luck with that, I say. They are gorgeous though!

Old 07-06-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth_G View Post
. There is a new subdivision being cut in right now off of Kensington. I fell in love with the wooded lots until I found out they are starting at $200,000 per lot. Good luck with that, I say. They are gorgeous though!
Howdy Elizabeth, What is $200K when you have a high income earning real estat business like yours? Plus your dependable income (though adimittedly modest) from that engineer husband of yours.

Here's a tutorial on Real Estate Investment 101 -- the principle of leveraging. Assuming the HSV area market appreciate at an average rate of 5% per year, 5% appreciation of a $1M home is a lot more than a $100K home. In 20 years, you'll have a $2M home as oppose to a $200K home. That's a capital gain of $1M vs. $100K.

So go ahead and put a $1M home on that $200K lot.

Last edited by HB2HSV; 07-06-2010 at 05:48 PM..

Old 07-06-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Howdy Elizabeth, What is $200,000K when you have a high income earning real estat business like yours? Plus your dependable income (though adimittedly modest) from that engineer husband of yours.
LOL. You have the best sense of humor. IF I would ever in my wildest dreams consider buying a lot that expensive, you know my engineer hubby would have a stroke! So, back to my alligator idea. You in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area