Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 09:13 PM

6 posts, read 25,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawoods View Post
Neighborhoods backing up to commercial was a problem for us in MAdison. We had lived there a few years ago and this time we wanted the scenery and the mountains. McMullen Cove has strict covenants which we like and the scenery and the community ammenities are great. It is also gated and will be strict about that soon. I watched hawks in their nest fledge this spring on Bluebell Creek. How cool is that? Our area of the development has homes that are historically influenced. WE really do love it.
Are there alot of young (I'm not sure we exactly fall into the "young" category) but how about alot of families/kids??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 09:26 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,868,107 times
McMullen Cove is def the premium on this side of town. For what you want, that or Hampton Cove is probably your best bet.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:17 PM

60 posts, read 141,986 times
Just to comment on Deford Mill -- while the homes are a little older than the brand new neighborhoods, what it does have going for it is its proximity to the grocery, hardware stores, Walmart, greenway, and elementary/middle school. I think that is part of the reason the prices are a little bit higher - location! I've found that there are a mix of older folks, young married couples, people with teenagers, and people with young kids. It is not as "young" as some of the new neighborhoods, but at the same time you wouldn't be at a loss to meet people.

Side note - one of the reasons we opted not to live in Madison - traffic!!! Before you buy anywhere in Madison, you need to drive your commute at your designated commute time on those roads and make sure you're not sitting in a parking lot. I know there are plans to expand some of the roads over there, but it is something to keep in mind.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:55 PM

Just an fyi - no one should get offended by our ranking of the neighborhoods... we ranked them according to what we found most important and according to our perspective. Everyone is going to value things differently.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:50 PM

55 posts, read 229,593 times
If you are at all interested in building, you should take a look at Clearwater. It is sort of next to both Hidden Lake and Hampton Ridge. There are still some nice lots left on Shortline Circle. We have a mix of families with children as well as families with grown children.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:59 AM

103 posts, read 278,285 times
I just wanted to thank the posters on this thread, especially dvls, as it was a nice little summary of the many neighborhoods we've been looking at for the last couple of months. It helped keep all the neighborhoods from running together. We don't have 300 or 400k to spend but for our price point of 250, Highland Park was the one neighborhood we both really loved.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirat_cat View Post
I just wanted to thank the posters on this thread, especially dvls, as it was a nice little summary of the many neighborhoods we've been looking at for the last couple of months. It helped keep all the neighborhoods from running together. We don't have 300 or 400k to spend but for our price point of 250, Highland Park was the one neighborhood we both really loved.
Great! We really liked some of the hills in Highland Park as well as the diversity in construction, but want of trees led us to River Ridge.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:12 AM

Yes, I think the hills were what really made Highland Park stand out. You can plant more trees but you can't grow hills! Heh.

River Ridge looks like it is probably going to be an awesome neighborhood, especially the Retreat, but all we could afford was "The Haven" and it just didn't work for us.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:28 AM

We're in the Haven, but we got in just in time to get one of the large lots at the end of a cul de sac. Our lot backs to trees and the walking trail. Do you have any kids? Our first will be entering elementary school round about the time that the new elementary school off Taylor is built (Big Cove Elementary I think its going to be called).

Old 05-12-2009, 11:18 AM

No, no kids! I'm only 24, and I'm definitely not ready yet! I feel like kids are a couple of years away, but we wanted a house we could stay in for a while and not be forced to move because we outgrew the space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area