Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2009, 09:40 PM

35 posts, read 88,140 times

Advertisements

Hi, my fiance and I just visited Huntsville and picked out a nice little house in 5 points to rent out when we move there in July. I had a question about gangs in HSV. My fiance and I were staying at the La Quinta on University and when we walked from the hotel to the mall some guys in a "pimped out/retarted" car were hanging out the window and hollering at her and yelling at me as they drove by. Is this a normal thing? I know at a gas station in Alabama when I was inside some guys hollered at her, but wouldn't even look over at us when I was getting in the car (she is a very pretty woman, but she's strong and would kick them in the crouch or gouge their eyes out if they came near her).

So my point, should I be concerned. I mean my reaction is to beat these guys up, but should I be prepared that if I reacted harshly to the incident that these people would pull a knife or a gun? I've lived in San Antonio for 4 years (near downtown) and even though they can have high crime, no one has ever hung out of a car and yelled at either of us or been disrespectful to her.

The whole experience had me a little on edge. Are there places in HSV to avoid or times we should not be out past? Should she carry pepper spray or a tazar (she wants a gun, but she will have to take some time to learn how to use them and maintain them first, then acquire a premit to carry)? 5 points seemed awesome, but I would hate it if d-bags like that came into my neighborhood.

Thanks,
Derek
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 09:58 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,198,803 times
No, it's not a normal thing. Like anywhere, we have our share of fools.

Should you be prepared that if you react harshly they may pull a gun or knife? Sure. But, I look nothing like a gang-banger (I'm fat, old, non-tattooed), and I just might pull one, too!
My daughters are in their early 20s, my wife in her late 40s; they carry.

Don't know about times not to be out. Northwest Huntsville, some areas downtown, and some areas around Governors have a bad rep.

Check out the following link for a more objective, statistical view...

Reports from The Huntsville Times - al.com: CrimeTrack

Old 05-22-2009, 10:54 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,454,372 times
University Drive has deteriorated rapidly over the past few years - the La Quinta and the hotels around it (roughly from Parkway to Sparkman) are known drug and prostitution areas. Plus, that area is pretty much in the hood. Your problem is that you WALKED - the women who walk around there are usually working...

That said, coarse behavior has become rather common and it is inexcusable. However, shooting the animals would mean a lot of paperwork...

Old 05-23-2009, 07:20 AM

48 posts, read 147,997 times
Yeah, you happened to be in a surprisingly cruddy area. A new person to HSV wouldn't think that area is bad but it is. Had you driven a few miles down the road you would have seen some projects...oddly not too long after you pass the Porsche/BMW dealership!

Personally I've never seen any area in HSV where I was that worried about my safety. However, I'm an athletic guy and used to live in CA literally next to Bloods, so I'm a bit immune to such things. They're basically like dogs...if you ignore them and don't dangle figurative pieces of meat out in front of them, they don't bother you.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:45 PM

298 posts, read 716,834 times
You need to be on your guard in parts of north huntsville (north of university) and also areas west of the parkway (until you hit martin road driving south, then the areas start to get better again.) Just use common sense and also maybe get a hotel in a different area of town. She should always be aware of who is around her, keep her doors locked, and try to stay in populated areas if possible (ie with other people in the vicinity.) But then again, those are just useful tips in general. Other than that try to stay in other areas of town if possible, especially at night.

Last edited by HSVbulldawg; 05-23-2009 at 05:04 PM..

Old 05-23-2009, 06:07 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,822,244 times
I wonder what percent of people who (are technologically savvy enough to) read and post on City-Data would ever consider these unsavory places mentioned above. It seems that 95% percent of people who are asking questions or posting on this forum refer to Madison, south and southeast Huntsville, one of the historical districts (like Twickenham or Five Points), or one of the outlier communities like New Market.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:01 PM

6 posts, read 28,775 times
back in the late eighties gangs in huntsville reached their peak, and it seems to be heading there again. There's gang bangers on every side of huntsville. I think that the curfew at madison square, and the spike in home invasions is good example. huntsville police would not even respond when more than a half dozen cars were spray painted with gang graffiti. but the city of huntsville forces the owners to clean up the graffiti imediatly or pay them. Its not really about the gangs here yet, its about the ones coming here.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:09 AM

889 posts, read 2,401,323 times
Man, having lived in LA, Baltimore, and Denver, the idea of "gangbangers" is a bit of a joke to me here. Not that there aren't some petty thugs out there, but not nearly as organized as I've seen in other places. That being said, stay away from my hood over in SW Huntsville I WILL JACK YOU UP! (I live in one of those areas west of the Parkway and north of Martin and seriously...it's not so bad)

Old 05-25-2009, 09:20 AM

168 posts, read 560,396 times
If Deesonic don't colecock ya, mos def I will, yo! Merrimack, represent! Westside!!!!!

Old 05-26-2009, 08:36 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,454,372 times
West Side Story up in here... Do you guys dance too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area