Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2012, 01:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,923 times

Advertisements

My daughter is considering transferring to Huntsville to play sports at UofA,Huntsville. I have been on line a number of times trying to find the safest area to rent an apartment for her which is close to the University. Can anyone help me with suggestions of good areas or streets, names of safe apartment complexes would also be very helpful. I have looked at many apartment review sites and so far have not found what I would consider the perfect off campus safe apartment complex. I would appreciate any help anyone might have. Thanks so much, Stressed mom from California !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 02:20 PM

282 posts, read 687,902 times
Will she have a car?

Old 01-26-2012, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,923 times
Yes pyro4ik she will have her car with her.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:18 PM

430 posts, read 1,059,741 times
When I was at UAH, I lived in 2 complexes. One was Ashford Terrace and a whole lot of that complex was college age people. The other was the Reserve. It is right behind Target shopping center off University Drive. I did not have any safety issues at either one of those complexes. I heard about occasional car break ins, but I guess my car was never nice enough to break into it.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:52 PM

31 posts, read 65,645 times
I second the Reserve. She can cut through Research Park and avoid the University traffic. Not that the research park traffic is the greatest LOL. But she'll be close to eating/shopping etc. Even if her car broke down she can get her necessities by walking. I've had friends stay there for years. It's a nice place with a mixture of college students and adults.

Nothing off Sparkman Drive

Maybe the few apartments on zeirdt. Unfortunately I can't remember the names at this time. But the commute to school won't be bad from there.

That's all for now. A long day and that's all I can spew out.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:42 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,445,095 times
The on campus housing at UAH is fairly new and very safe. None of the nearby (Sparkman Drive) apartments are nice, don't know about the Reserve but the Zierdt Road apartments are nice and I've known some UAH students who lived there.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:26 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,291,008 times
I agree about the on campus housing at UA Huntsville. It is very nice. I stayed there when I attended Space Camp and the accomadations were excellent.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:11 PM

230 posts, read 388,502 times
We lived at The Reserve for the first few months after we moved up here. I guess it can be something of a mixed bag; there are older and newer buildings. We didn't know better, so to get a flat of the size we wanted we ended up in one of the older buildings. There was nothing really physically wrong with the place, but our neighbors were animals. I should have known we weren't in the best of places when, the day we were moving in, we had to call maintenance to come and remove a used condom on the ground 2 feet off the sidewalk leading up to our unit. It took several days for them to get to it. The people living upstairs were a nightmare from the regard of nighttime noise. It was 2 adults, 2 small kids, and a dog. Seems the adults would go out until very late at night (often 3 - 5 AM) and leave the kids alone...so they'd be running around at all hours of the night (and the d%$#*ed dog dragging a chain across the floor) making all kinds of noise. It got to the point that we would go beat on the door after midnight, the monsters would clam up for a few minutes, then go back to whatever they were doing, keeping us up all night. In retrospect we probably should have informed both apartment management and the police of the situation simultaneously (the chlidren were pretty young, definitely too young to be left alone especially until very late in the night). I certainly recognize that there can be bad tenants everywhere, but when we moved out we did inform management about the neighbors and they didn't seem to care; they were more interested in making sure we paid the penalty for breaking the lease early (3 or 4 months into a 7-month lease, I'd have paid the whole 7 months just to get out of there...buying our house couldn't have come soon enough). I guess the lesson is any place can be hit or miss depending on who is adjacent to you, but the particular building we were in also transmitted noise from neighboring units pretty well. Perhaps newer building (with higher rents?) have better clients, and less noise? I will also add we specifically requested a ground-floor apartment so our daughter (almost 4 at the time) wouldn't disturb the neighbors below us jumping around on the floor...if only the animals above us had shown the same courtesy.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:29 PM

29 posts, read 47,232 times
I can tell you specific stories about the Reserve from when I lived there, and there's no way I would let a family member live there. But rather than bad mouth them with anecdotal stuff:

January 25th, 2012
Quote:
Huntsville police are now saying there were three men shot today around 2:30 p.m. on Rime Village (Apartments) Drive.
Source: Three Huntsville men shot at Rime Village Apartments (updated) | al.com

Want your daughter around that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area