Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 07:36 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,210,706 times

Advertisements

Models are looking pretty good for a dangerous situation for most of central AL through middle TN for all of Saturday. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up in case you had outdoor plans for Saturday. From the Birmingham Wx office:

Quote:
THIS WILL CREATE AN ENVIRONMENT ACROSS CENTRAL ALABAMA THAT WILL BE NOTHING SHORT OF A CLASSIC SEVERE WEATHER OUTBREAK. EXPECT OUR OLD WARM FRONT TO LIFT RAPIDLY NORTHWARD THROUGH THE MORNING HOURS ON SATURDAY...LEAVING THE AREA IN A HIGHLY UNSTABLE AND FAVORABLY SHEARED AIRMASS FOR MUCH OF SATURDAY AFTERNOON....EVENING...AND AT LEAST THE FIRST HALF OF THE OVERNIGHT HOURS. WHILE THE INSTABILITY PARAMETERS REMAIN SOMEWHAT MARGINAL...BUT SIGNIFICANT ENOUGH TO SUPPORT LONG-LIVED SUPERCELLS...THE BACKING SURFACE WINDS AND MID AND UPPER JET WILL CERTAINLY BE CONDUCIVE FOR TORNADOES...SOME OF WHICH WILL BE STRONG AND LONG-LIVED. NOT TO MENTION THE THREAT OF HEAVY RAIN...LARGE HAIL...AND DAMAGING SURFACE WINDS WHICH WILL ACCOMPANY THESE CELLS. THE DANGER WILL CONTINUE INTO THE EVENING HOURS AS THE STEEP UPPER LAPSE RATES AND SOME MID LEVEL DRY AIR WILL KEEP THE THREAT GOING UNTIL IT EXITS NORTH AND EAST THROUGH THE OVERNIGHT HOURS.

THIS IS A HIGHLY DANGEROUS SITUATION THAT LOOMS FOR SATURDAY...
If this sort of thing interests you and you want to follow the thread from a WX forum...Severe threat through Sunday - Eastern US Weather Forums - Page 18

Stay safe everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 07:58 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
I've been watching this for about three days. I definitely will be watching for this. It looks like the biggest risk is not in the middle of the night so hopefully no 3AM tornado sirens. I prefer my tornado sirens between lunch and dinner and not during the Laker game.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I've been watching this for about three days. I definitely will be watching for this. It looks like the biggest risk is not in the middle of the night so hopefully no 3AM tornado sirens. I prefer my tornado sirens between lunch and dinner and not during the Laker game.
Agreed...I'd rather be able see what's out there.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:50 AM

956 posts, read 2,502,346 times
Great...I finally get a day off to clean the garage and it has to be that day. Hubby will be thrilled, lol. Oh well, as Charles said, let's hope it's not in the middle of the night. May just turn out to be a great day of doing nothing I can do that!

Old 04-23-2010, 11:08 AM

39 posts, read 123,110 times
This is without a doubt something everyone needs to keep an eye on. Make sure your storm shelters (if you have one) are ready to go and be sure to go over your severe weather preparedness plan with your family. Wouldn't surprise me if the Storm Prediction Center upgraded our area to a high risk for tomorrow. Any outdoor events scheduled for tomorrow should be planned for another day.

To paraphrase a bit of this mornings forecast discussion from the Huntsville WFO... any storms that do develop tomorrow have a good chance of producing tornadoes, large hail and damaging winds.

Some of my coworkers at UAHuntsville took all of our equipment (MAX Radar, MIPS fleet, etc) out to Oklahoma yesterday and will be following this system as it tracks toward our area. Some will also be running the ARMOR dual-pol radar... from a research perspective, I hope there is a good data set to work with.... but those storms need to occur away from population.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:14 AM

956 posts, read 2,502,346 times
tam314: Getting a bit nervous here. Sounds like it is really going to be bad. My elderly mother lives alone...if you really think it's going to be serious I'm going to get her tonight. What are your thoughts?

Old 04-23-2010, 11:35 AM

We made CNN.

"The areas most likely to see tornadoes tomorrow are:

* Northwestern Louisiana

* Extreme eastern Arkansas

* Most of Tennessee, including Memphis and Nashville

* Most of Mississippi

* Most of Alabama, including Birmingham and Huntsville

* Extreme northwestern Georgia."

from

Substantial risk of severe storms Friday, Saturday – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

Old 04-23-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth_G View Post
Getting a bit nervous here. Sounds like it is really going to be bad.
When locals get nervous, I get really nervous.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:41 AM

39 posts, read 123,110 times
Everything tomorrow is lining up for a prolonged outbreak of long-track supercells/tornadoes. The only thing that may get in the way is rain/clouds from tonight that lingers into tomorrow morning and early afternoon. If that happens, the boundary layer (lowest few hundred meters of our atmosphere) won't be able to destabilize as much... so storms won't be as bad. If the sun is able to come out for a good period tomorrow, that's where we start worrying.

Some models up to now have been a mixed bag trying to depict that scenario... but it's looking more likely that there will be some clearing, allowing plenty of available energy to develop. Most of the tornado/shear parameters are very high... meaning that if the storms get going, they will start to spin, and tornadoes will develop. Now the chances that a tornado hits one particular spot/house/neighborhood/etc is pretty low and that's something we just can't predict (yet, maybe one day?). But chances are good now that there will be some tornadoes tomorrow somewhere.

Some of the area forecast discussions issued by the local WFOs (Jackson, MS in particular) have been downright alarming in what they expect. There is a fine line as a meteorologist that we have to walk trying to disseminate information to the public... you don't want to overhype an event... because even though everything looks like what you expect, all the models line up, everything is ready to go... the clouds linger tomorrow and nothing happens. Now faith is lost. Heck, most people already don't believe us anyway and a bust due to an overhyped forecast only strengthens their disbelief. The opposite is also true.

To get to your original question... depending on where your mother lives and how difficult it is transport her from place to place... I would wait until tomorrow morning and just keep an eye on the situation.

Now there should be storms tonight... but the severe stuff isn't expected until tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Last edited by tam314; 04-23-2010 at 11:54 AM..

Old 04-23-2010, 11:56 AM

Thanks for the insight tam314...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area