Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2017, 07:03 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMagliola View Post
Pretty sure we all know sharks dont wave flags
The flag might be considered "added evidence" but when it was posted online during Houston's flooding (and the freeways even were flooded enough for a shark to swim in the waters) there were hundreds or thousands of people who believed there were sharks swimming in the waters of Houston's streets...

Most people in my experience are always ready to believe what fits their preconceived ideas of what is possible...
Whether it is photographi evidence doctored or faux news stories...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I'm not seeing that westward shift.
Irma went almost due north vs NW after she came into Naples...my husband had an app that tracked her on his phone and it just rode N vs NW

Why did so many models say she was going NW--
That made huge difference in the coastal flooding -- at least IMO--didn't it?

Old 09-11-2017, 07:28 PM

7,260 posts, read 4,631,272 times
59 hour radar loop of Irma:

https://twitter.com/nwseastern/statu...70604634034176

Old 09-11-2017, 07:41 PM

Thanks---I watched the video--and I see that there was drift to the NW--but what we saw on his tracking app showed N heading from Naples...
We were mainly interested in path up to our area around Sarasota
And it looked like it was tracking N vs NW
Once we knew our kids were safe and the surge was less than expected we called it a night and went to bed
And haven't been following today either--

Guess that sounds callous but we had family and friends and property at risk in Harvey's attack on Texas and then Irma blows up and threatens FL...
The uncertainty and not being there for our daughter made me a basket case
I hate having no control over situations like this

So I stand corrected...
Just glad Irma did not go so far west my daughter was on the "dirty" side...

Old 09-11-2017, 07:42 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Stormy night from Alabama to South Carolina. Looks like some nasty storms in South Carolina.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:57 PM

Ya it did look North all the way to at least Tampa while trying to follow it on radar during the storm, maybe even wobbled slightly to the left and right along the way, but then it got so disorganized and nothing on the bottom half really so became difficult to tell where the storm was actually going with radar!

Old 09-11-2017, 08:01 PM

The surge in the Charleston, Savannah, & Jacksonville areas may have been slightly higher due to waves from Jose arriving as well:

Old 09-11-2017, 08:54 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,801,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
My area in north Nokomis came through relatively unscathed
No flooding in any of our homes---seems like our storm drains worked very well
The reduced strength of Irma undoubtedly was a blessing to many west of the eye
The scariest thing was having a queen Palm in front yard fall parallel to house--not on roof...
Sideline fence is somewhat pushed sideways but kept our pool cage w/o any lost screening or bent sections
Our daughter's house in good shape as well

We were definitely on the right (left) side of the eye...seeing what is going on along the east coast I am just incredibly grateful not to be dealing with that flooding...

I can't thank those of you who followed this storm for so long and gave so unselfishly of your time and analysis enough...
I felt that I got much better info about what was going to happen than from almost any other source-and without knowing ANY of you I could trust your opinions...
So thank you who obviously are staying with Irma in the last days of her passage--
pbMaise, Cambium, Psychoma---you are the best IMO...
While I hope I don't need to return to this forum in the future (kind of unlikely with homes in TX and Florida), I hope you are still around --- doing your thing---cause you are top-notch in my book!!
Thanks V

It was nice to follow something more closely than dang politics for a change.

Still haven't purchased tickets to fly back to US via Korean and worried about different kinds of wind.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:55 PM

11pEST Monday 11Sept 2017: Downgraded to a Tropical Depression with winds of 35mph, moving NW 15mph, pressure 988mb. "Center" located near GA/AL border.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:00 PM

696 posts, read 905,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Here is link to Tampa level station

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/st...tml?id=8726520

Yes it rose above normal level by about 2 ft at peak.

It is still about 1.5 ft above normal at time of this post.
They had predicated 5 feet of storm surge for tampa, how did they get the forecast so wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes