Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2018, 04:40 AM

66 posts, read 41,900 times

Advertisements

I'm so afraid of how powerful all this is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 05:06 AM

30,433 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot ho View Post
I'm so afraid of how powerful all this is.
The worst part is after the storm norm and no power or A/C for weeks.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:07 AM

30,433 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I got gas yesterday morning (I needed it - not hoarding, I swear!) and when I went out yesterday pm there were lines at all the stations. Even the hidden little gas station close to my house that only people who live nearby seem to know about! Two that my husband went to were out. However, they had a guy from Gas Buddy on the news this am and he said replenishing the stations should not be an issue right now and should not be until the storm hits and getting gas afterward should be ok as no refineries will be affected. Still it was craziness here yesterday during the evening rush.
Gas will go up for everyone in all states for no reason.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:24 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Just showing where the latest NAM model says landfall will be. It's NAM's long range so it doesn't typically do well.

Landfall Friday afternoon around Morehead City. Anything NE of that center will be flooded and probably devastated if remains a Cat 4. new Inlets will form.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:26 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I got gas yesterday morning (I needed it - not hoarding, I swear!) and when I went out yesterday pm there were lines at all the stations. Even the hidden little gas station close to my house that only people who live nearby seem to know about! Two that my husband went to were out. However, they had a guy from Gas Buddy on the news this am and he said replenishing the stations should not be an issue right now and should not be until the storm hits and getting gas afterward should be ok as no refineries will be affected. Still it was craziness here yesterday during the evening rush.
It's eerie when it happens. It's like you can sense the tension and fear. Good luck.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:36 AM

7,259 posts, read 4,629,838 times
11Sept18 5aEDT - Winds 140mph, moving WNW 15mph, pressure 944mb. Holding at a Cat4 still currently.

Short version:
-Storm should stay level in intensity a few hours, then go up a little more.
-Hurricane and Surge Watches up.
-Good news: its possible but maybe not in time to help too much, that wind shear shows up at last minute and starts to weaken storm but powerful one expected still.
-Bad news: still uncertainty in landfall point.
-Good/Bad news: Storm may stall right at/near the coast. Good because that means strong winds would only go so far inland, bad because prolonged experience for those who do get it.

Long version:

Hurricane Watch for Edisto Beach, SC to NC/VA border (winds 74+mph possible within 48hours or less). This will change to a Warning once we're about 24hours from landfall and hopefully narrow down more as we get closer to event start. Hurricane force winds(74+mph) now reach up to 40miles from the storm center, Tropical Storm force winds (39+mph) up to 150miles.
Atlantic - Florence forms September 1, 2018-winds2.jpg

When could winds start to arrive? Here are when 39mph or higher could start and this is your cut-off to be prepared, evacuated if going to do so, or at what ever location you'll be at for the duration of the storm if you need something to go by time frame wise:
Atlantic - Florence forms September 1, 2018-windsarvl.jpg

Storm Surge Watch for Edisto Beach, SC to NC/VA border including the Albemarle and Pamlico Sounds, Neuse and Pamlico Rivers.
Atlantic - Florence forms September 1, 2018-surge-watch.jpg

Interactive Storm Surge map is out: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/gra...ation#contents This represents the plan for this, hope for less amount of surge from Florence. Surge is the rise in water above normal tide levels so if hits at high tide then worst case scenario if hits at low tide then not quite as high but near. Think of surge like a high high tide, its the entire body of water rising like a tide with waves on top and is always highest on the NE corner of the eyewall and less as you head away from that point.

**These graphics assume storm comes in between Wilmington, NC and Morehead City NC** (again subject to shift left or right as usual):
Atlantic - Florence forms September 1, 2018-sl.jpg
Atlantic - Florence forms September 1, 2018-s1.jpg

And a selected few for closeups:
Atlantic - Florence forms September 1, 2018-s2.jpg
Atlantic - Florence forms September 1, 2018-s3.jpg
Atlantic - Florence forms September 1, 2018-s4.jpg
Atlantic - Florence forms September 1, 2018-s5.jpg

Florence has leveled off for the time being (winds). Pressure and winds holding for at least a few hours. It's undergoing an ERC (Eyewall replacement cycle), typical in Cat3 or larger storms. It's a few hour to day long process where the storm recharges it's batteries so to speak then goes back to trying to maintain itself or become stronger again. These are hard to predict when they will occur but radar and hurricane hunter aircraft flying directly into the storm taking readings can tell us if one is occurring. When an ERC occurs the winds either stay level or come down some even for those few hours.

Expected to restart it's strengthening process after the ERC (See above) is complete and NHC is calling for a border line Cat4/5 storm within 24-36 hours. But in 48 hours near landfall NHC says shear may come back into play and we could see Florence begin to weaken. Intensity guidance shows this too, but still expecting a powerful Cat4-ish storm into the coast somewhere at this time still.

Atlantic - Florence forms September 1, 2018-winds.jpg

The official cone map although has tightened until near the coast then still spreads considerably right at landfall. Hopefully more clarity on that today. There is still uncertainty on where it will come ashore. Please be careful watching the weather channel that continues to show a specific track and related graphics to that effect and just every now and then says it could move left or right. You also see this with the WPC NOAA group because they are providing rainfall estimates but that typically coincides with the GFS model which is more towards the right side of the 'cone' compared to the Euro which is more towards the left side of the cone. And we clearly see this with the surge maps above! Uncertainty remains unfortunately. Landfall location has NOT been called for by the NHC yet and anywhere in the cone is where the center/eye could go. I do fear that focusing on a specific graphics scenario now may result in large number of people deciding to stay instead of heed officials instructions.

Atlantic - Florence forms September 1, 2018-cone.jpg

But I will say one of the main hurricane models and several members takes this into Morehead City NC which is probably why the surge graphics reflect that outcome at this time. Really hope the models come more in line today so we can yea or nay here. But we shall see. Wilmington NC and Morehead City NC have several models showing that way.

Atlantic - Florence forms September 1, 2018-models.jpg

And here's the Euro 'ensembles' (the models that make up the Euro) once again about half it's members come into SC coast still:
Atlantic - Florence forms September 1, 2018-eureeps.jpg

This also means the affects felt may move around until we know where it will go.
Euro rain map:
Atlantic - Florence forms September 1, 2018-eurorains.jpg

and GFS rain map:
Atlantic - Florence forms September 1, 2018-img-3510.png

Guidance still at odds. Still what we can take from this is that heavy rains, very likely inland flooding as well, is coming. They agree on that at least. NHC says 15-20inches, isolated 30inches somewhere inland.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:47 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times
Woke up to being under a hurricane watch here in Wayne County, NC.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:52 AM

29,533 posts, read 19,620,154 times
https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/1039460496557174785

Old 09-11-2018, 05:52 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
It's eerie when it happens. It's like you can sense the tension and fear. Good luck.
Yup - drove into the Walmart neighborhood store parking lot and drove right back out again. Not worth it.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:30 AM

7,259 posts, read 4,629,838 times
With Watches and soon to be Warnings now posted along the coast, this means official NHC updates will now also come out at 2 & 8am/pmEDT, in addition to the main updates at 5 & 11am/pmEDT. Not all NHC products are updated with the 2 & 8 update like the surge maps which are only updated about 30-90 minutes after the 5 & 11 updates.

10Sept18 8aEDT - Winds 130mph, moving WNW 15mph, pressure 950mb. Slightly weaker with the previous mentioned ERC (eyewall replacement cycle) ongoing. Once complete sometime today expected to continue strengthening run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes