Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2006, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 4,401 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

My husband is taking a job in Hollywood. We're worried about the tropical storms and hurricanes. I can't find a recent storm history past 2000 yet, anywhere. Can anyone tell me how many strong tropical storms and hurricanes of all levels have hit Hollywood from 2002-2005? Or refer me to a website that has this info? It would make a difference regarding where we relocate to: coastal vs. inland. Thank you. ProfessionalFamily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2006, 01:26 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,194,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessionalFamily
Hello Everyone,

My husband is taking a job in Hollywood. We're worried about the tropical storms and hurricanes. I can't find a recent storm history past 2000 yet, anywhere. Can anyone tell me how many strong tropical storms and hurricanes of all levels have hit Hollywood from 2002-2005? Or refer me to a website that has this info? It would make a difference regarding where we relocate to: coastal vs. inland. Thank you. ProfessionalFamily.
Go to
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
and you can get a look at every storm for many years. If you are buying your homeowhers insurence will be very high and going up. Mine just jumped from $2400 to $4500. a year. and it will only get higher. They also have a 2% deductable so on my home there is like a $10,000 deductable. Add that to the premimum and I need almost $15,000 worth of damage before I get the first penny. I am looking to get out of here and move to north Florida. This place is a crime ridden hell hole and I have lived here 55 years but enough is enough. We are looking in the Alford area if anyone has any advice. We want a few acres we can build on rather then the postage stamp size lots they have down here. Anyone here from that area?

Last edited by macguy; 02-02-2006 at 01:42 PM..

Old 02-06-2006, 06:12 AM

8 posts, read 28,661 times
I don't know that looking inland is going to be that much different in terms of hurricanes. Most of the areas that have taken the biggest hit over the last few years of hurricanes have been toward the center of the state. Hurricanes are just a way of life here. We've been pretty lucky in the Tampa/St Pete area, but that's no guarantee.

Old 02-06-2006, 04:33 PM

5 posts, read 22,830 times
If I were you, I'd steer clear of South Florida....the real estate market is tragically over priced and the salaries are much lower than the national average. I am all for diversity, but unless you are fluent in Spanish, you will not flourish professionally.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:11 AM

5 posts, read 44,321 times
i've been here almost 3 years. the 2004 'season' produced 2 Hurricanes: Ivan & Charley--minor damage/minimal flooding @ the beach/loss of trees & landscaping pretty low. the 2005 season was worse! Katrina hit here first, but nowhere near the damage it smacked the Gulf Coast with! here Katrina cause lots of tree & vegetation damage. no major flooding @ the beach, some structural damage to local houses & businesses--we were lucky! now Wilma was a different story: power was out for 10 days--'land-line' telephones were out, too--heavy tree damage--not too much rain accompanied Wilma, so water damage wasn't that bad...but winds of over 110MPH did hit here & a good amount of structural damage was evident--it took almost 2 weeks to get traffic lights working. lots of damage to cars & boats--trailer parks(as usual everywhere)were demolished!
personally, i'm not too affected by storms--they're kind of exciting(i don't have kids or property to worry about), in an odd way...in my way of thinking: Hurricanes are Mother Nature's way of "cleaning house"!

Old 03-02-2006, 10:20 AM

5 posts, read 44,321 times
Default Storms in Hollywood, FL

didn't mention it in my earlier 'reply', but i'm in Hollywood,FL....for the 2004 Hurricane season i was right on the Beach in H'wood...for the 2005 season(Katrina & Wilma)about a mile & a half inland in Downtown H'wood. i did NOT move away from the Beach for safety, i moved 'cause i couldn't renew my lease...

Old 01-10-2007, 07:52 PM

41 posts, read 249,635 times
have to remember Ivan. Everyone forgets that one. so is 2007 going to a bad year?

Old 01-27-2009, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,799 times
From Connecticut to Florida?????????? I'm planning to move this year, and I need a little help, I'm just thinking to move to Hollywood, Fla. I need some good opinions. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes