Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 10:01 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,013,770 times

Advertisements

My friend is looking to buy a genesis to tune somewhat but not to heavy but he's willing to go more then bolt-ons...

Hes shooting for 400hp and not really looking to spend too much money on mods.

Which genesis is the better deal??? The v6 3.8l or the 2.0T? I heard the 2.0T comes with only 210 hp but has greater potential then the v6 which comes with 306hp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 10:38 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
I've got a 2011 2.0T RSPEC (with Brembo brakes) and if you're looking to tune the 2.0T is by far the better value. If you're going for stock, go for the V6. My 2.0T with full exhaust, 550cc injectors, upsized intercooler, an intake and a tune is putting down more power than the V6. Another $500 for an upgraded turbo (the oem turbo, extrude honed with upgraded turbines) will put down about 340whp. If you take the commonly used 15% drivetrain loss that works out to 400hp at the crank. If you're looking for higher horsepower figures the turbos are already on the market, all it takes is cash.

I looked specifically for an RSPEC because I wanted the Brembo's, suspension/LSD, 19" wheels and interior upgrades but if you're going strictly for value, get a base 2.0T and get to work. With cash spent on mods taken into account, I still spent less on my 2.0T RSPEC over a stock V6 RSPEC for a faster car with more potential.

I will say without question that I'm really digging the car. It pulls harder than my modded Infiniti G35 every did and looks nicer inside and out (material quality is better too).

If I had to list some negatives it would be the following:

-The RSPEC suspension rides very rough. This is something I actually like, but others may complain. If a softer ride is more important go for the base with the smaller wheels and softer suspension setup.

-The manual transmission is not the best. It's far from the worse (I've driven many) but its not silky smooth like a Honda 6spd. It more than gets the job done but don't expect a fully polished unit. I'd say its no worse than the G35's 6 speed unit.

-Once the car starts producing over 300wtq (which is accomplished with just bolt on's and a tune) the clutch is known to start ice skating. This varies greatly from driver to driver. Some of the guys on my forum had to replace the clutch within 10k miles with Stage 2 mods while others are rolling along for 30k miles without issue. Just something to look out for.

Last edited by iTsLiKeAnEgG; 02-01-2012 at 10:56 PM..

Old 02-01-2012, 11:05 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Just to wrap things up, if he's shooting for 400hp there is no question that the 2.0T is the route he wants to take. Although a tune will get you a decent amount of horsepower with the V6, every horsepower after that will take a lot of expensive work. I'm much more familiar with the 2.0T but there aren't very many guys running around with V6's pushing more than 300whp without going to forced induction which gets very expensive with a factory naturally aspirated setup versus factory turbo.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I've got a 2011 2.0T RSPEC (with Brembo brakes) and if you're looking to tune the 2.0T is by far the better value. If you're going for stock, go for the V6. My 2.0T with full exhaust, 550cc injectors, upsized intercooler, an intake and a tune is putting down more power than the V6. Another $500 for an upgraded turbo (the oem turbo, extrude honed with upgraded turbines) will put down about 340whp. If you take the commonly used 15% drivetrain loss that works out to 400hp at the crank. If you're looking for higher horsepower figures the turbos are already on the market, all it takes is cash.

I looked specifically for an RSPEC because I wanted the Brembo's, suspension/LSD, 19" wheels and interior upgrades but if you're going strictly for value, get a base 2.0T and get to work. With cash spent on mods taken into account, I still spent less on my 2.0T RSPEC over a stock V6 RSPEC for a faster car with more potential.

I will say without question that I'm really digging the car. It pulls harder than my modded Infiniti G35 every did and looks nicer inside and out (material quality is better too).

If I had to list some negatives it would be the following:

-The RSPEC suspension rides very rough. This is something I actually like, but others may complain. If a softer ride is more important go for the base with the smaller wheels and softer suspension setup.

-The manual transmission is not the best. It's far from the worse (I've driven many) but its not silky smooth like a Honda 6spd. It more than gets the job done but don't expect a fully polished unit. I'd say its no worse than the G35's 6 speed unit.

-Once the car starts producing over 300wtq (which is accomplished with just bolt on's and a tune) the clutch is known to start ice skating. This varies greatly from driver to driver. Some of the guys on my forum had to replace the clutch within 10k miles with Stage 2 mods while others are rolling along for 30k miles without issue. Just something to look out for.
Thanks...Its not letting me add rep for some reason.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:50 PM

774 posts, read 2,600,871 times
2.0 turbo all the way. Some tuners are already offering bolt on packages that will put 265 to the tires for not a lot of money. We did an intercooler, CAI, down pipe, exhaust and a tune on my buddies car about a year ago. Stock the car was slow. With the mods it's a stout car and won't embarrass you at the stop light.

The 2.0 is also a much more balanced car without the weight of th V6 hanging out in front. Stick the car was predictable. Modded it becomes tail happy when the boost comes in but that's part of the fun.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:28 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
wow 400RWHP on a turbo 4 with stock internals is pushing it IMO tho'

But then again if the motor blow you can re-build it to take that kind of power but like all Hi-Perfomance enfgines it will take a fair bit of $$$ to make that power and still have some daily driver/long term Reliablity to it..

BTW to get a 2.0 turbo to 400RWHP kills all the factory warranty you would be SOL if the tranny goes or some other issue comes up you would be liable to fix it at 100% your expense.

I mean if you want 400RWP and to save some money and is already put of it's factory warranty might as well pick up a 03-04 Ford Mustang Cobra AKA the Terminator Mustang.

SVT Cobra. Terminator. Solo Steez - YouTube
Know it may not be a Hyundai Genesis Coupe but man does that sound like one badass car Esp that Super Charger and V-8 Rumble is music to my ears

Old 02-07-2012, 09:31 AM

774 posts, read 2,600,871 times
The 2.0 in the genesis is more than up to the task of 400hp. The motor was build to be beat on and survive. Doing just about anything to a turbo car these days voids the warranty. As long as you understand that then no harm no foul.

A buddy of mine swapped the down pipe and cat back on his WRX. A few months later the front diff started making noise. 3 dealers refused service because the car was modded. One of the dealers took pics of the car and flagged it in subarus system as modded. The 4th dealer agreed to do the work.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:42 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,530,789 times
Genesis coupe is a really good car but 400hp from it? Good luck.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:33 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
Get a used a 2006 GTO with a blower already on it for less than $18k. Easy 500HP and mid 11 second car with supporting mods.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Get a used a 2006 GTO with a blower already on it for less than $18k. Easy 500HP and mid 11 second car with supporting mods.
I was honestly thinking about it but I hate the exterior styling with a passion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia