Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2016, 03:00 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,983 times

Advertisements

Been looking at Ririe, it looks like a nice clean small town. The population is within a whisker of where I grew up, and I love that type of town. While we are not likely to live in town limits, we may well attempt to settle close to such a town.

Anybody familiar with Ririe? The town looks clean and peaceful. I see that it is majority Mormon(a lot of towns in that area appear to be), and to tell the truth, I have zero issue with that. Mormons I have known are generally fine, moral, clean, upstanding folks. We are looking at it as a good base from which to work in the Idaho Falls area and still be out of town a bit. It's nice to be close enough to a small town to enjoy breakfast at a good cafe, maybe go to a chili supper at the community center, or watch a small parade or rodeo occasionally. A place where one can get to know people and help in the community as needed. I am curious to hear from folks familiar with the place about their experiences there. Or nearby towns as well, we are certainly not stuck on one just yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 01:59 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
Been looking at Ririe, it looks like a nice clean small town. The population is within a whisker of where I grew up, and I love that type of town. While we are not likely to live in town limits, we may well attempt to settle close to such a town.

Anybody familiar with Ririe? The town looks clean and peaceful. I see that it is majority Mormon(a lot of towns in that area appear to be), and to tell the truth, I have zero issue with that. Mormons I have known are generally fine, moral, clean, upstanding folks. We are looking at it as a good base from which to work in the Idaho Falls area and still be out of town a bit. It's nice to be close enough to a small town to enjoy breakfast at a good cafe, maybe go to a chili supper at the community center, or watch a small parade or rodeo occasionally. A place where one can get to know people and help in the community as needed. I am curious to hear from folks familiar with the place about their experiences there. Or nearby towns as well, we are certainly not stuck on one just yet.
Hi countryboy,

Ririe is on the road to Jackson Hole and the Teton National Park. Because of that there are a couple of combo gas stations and C stores. There is also a favorite place for many called Heist Hot Springs. Heise has grown from an indoor water facility with hot springs to a favorite seasonal camping destination of many. They have a Zip Line and various accommodations for guests. I mention it because that might be a little more commercial than you want: South Fork River Guided Fly Fishing Trips - Heise Expeditions Or you may like having those amenities so close. Read and click the connections at the bottom of the page.

There are beautiful views of the Snake River not far away. Not as many people know about them as the river is at the bottom of a canyon.

There is also another cool place to do fun, laid back seasonal things. It looks like the website there are more RV sites and camping sites than special events listed. 7N Ranch Resort - About Us. IDK if they are changing or if they simply don't advertise to all what they do with outdoor hay rides, hot cider etc. for Halloween themed activities. Also at Christmas-time, perhaps all their events are now private, IDK. They will take people in an old fashioned sleigh with lots of blankets over them to have a horse drawn, ca rolling sleigh take guests to special Christmas and New Years dinners and other activities.

What else do you want to know about the towns around Idaho Falls? Ririe is on the N. Side of Highway 26 to the Tetons, Driggs and Swan Valley. I won't be surprised when it starts to grow more. The RV spots at Heise and 7NRanch, plus tents and cabins weren't there 10 years ago. Many residents farm but some are involved in tourist-related services. South of the road are thousands of acres of farmland.

Let us know what specific questions you have so we can answer them. If you want small, there is no place closer than Ririe. Shelley is south of Idaho Falls by about eight miles. Firth is about six miles south of Shelley. Firth and Ririe would be comparable for small towns, but Firth doesn't have the tourists.

MSR

Old 10-17-2016, 08:08 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,983 times
Thanks, MSR. We will have to check it out next spring. The tourism can be a positive or a negative, depending on your point of view. Do I like being around tourists much? I confess I generally do not. But the only time I deal with them is either when I myself am a tourist, or when I must drive through the local trout hatchery/park to get to town several times a week. Were I to make a slug of money annually from their visiting, I might find myself eagerly anticipating their arrival, almost as much as I would enjoy the quiet when they all went home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls