Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 07:06 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,443,857 times

Advertisements

Food banks always need more donations. I honestly don't know how they make the donations go as far as they do.

In the Idaho Falls area, residents in the following counties: Lemhi (Salmon), Clark (Dubois),
Custer (Challis), Fremont (St. Anthony and Ashton), Madison (Rexburg and Sugar City), Teton (Driggs and Victor), Jefferson (Rigby, Roberts, Ririe and more) and of course Bonneville (Ucon, Iona, Swan Valley, Ammon and Idaho Falls) all depend on the I. F. Food Bank. While Shelley and N. Bingham as well as Butte County (Arco and more towns) technically are in the Pocatello service area, I've never know anyone from those areas to be turned away.

Events and drives are ongoing now to help fill the shelves.

Local Ice Bowl Disc Golf held to benefit.
Ice Bowl Disc Golf Event to Benefit Food Bank - KPVI News 6

Here's the links for the Idaho Falls Food Bank for either Facebook and the website.

The Idaho Foodbank-Leading the effort to end hunger in Idaho

https://m.facebook.com/pages/Idaho-F...246679430&_rdr

Also, here is a pod cast from Sand Hill Media about "Dump Hunger" https://m.soundcloud.com/sandhillrad...nnection-9-6th

Dump Hunger Food Drive 2014. (Click Dump Hunger)...it's cool.

Perhaps two of those who post here who work with companies teaming up for "Dumping Hunger," would like to add more. And posts from everyone are welcome.

Somehow, until I heard Sand Hill Media address cereal as a non- perishable that hadn't dawned on me. I always thought more about canned and bottled food as well as pasta and rice etc.

How about listing items that can be donated here? I've come up with some new ones but am always far more interested in what my neighbors are thinking.

Thanks for thinking about our neighbors...

msr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 01:51 PM

Default Other Ideas

Along with the non - perishable items I referenced above, I have a question and two suggestions for those working on Food Drives or Sponsorship.

1. For media, is it possible to have a downloadable list of items? Specific name brands are not needed. To illustrate my question how about this hypothetical situation: If I get Pasta, would the Food Bank accept a Sealed Jar of Mariana Sauce etc. too? Or do they just want the basics like Pasta, Hamburger Helper and the things I've heard to date? I tend to think of food in what is needed for a meal. I understand for the $, basics like Pasta and Rice can go to more people.

If others have questions about specific foods that won't spoil, this is an opportunity to ask. I believe we have one of our "neighbors" - another poster here who has volunteered at the Food Bank. That poster may be able to give us some tips.

I also have two other suggestions:

1. In my life I've worked with a lot of stressed kids and parents. When things go wrong, they tend to fall apart in many areas of a family's lives. Consequently, it relieves a lot of pressure for a parent to know there is food at home which their family can enjoy. That helps return a little more normalcy into the family's life.

Because I've worked with hundreds or more kids, I always think what would make them smile and feel nurtured a bit. In other words, comfort and"fun" food. I have no problem with cereal and it's best for some ages. However, when I shopped for my donations instead of getting several boxes of cereal I altered that part of my list so instant Oatmeal was included in the variety boxes (different flavors) as well as some cereal/fruit bars. I think kids and parents feel a little more in better if they have some choices just like we all do.

Perhaps a just fantasy for me but I would like to think a child could smile seeing PB also with some jam of jelly on toast or smile because there was a can of fruit cocktail with cherries for desert after dinner and cherries are their favorite.

I've shared those examples as I've had kids tell me those specific examples of how great their day was. I can never get food for any food drive that I don't buy some of those items given how happy the kids were when they told me .

A child late for school can take an Oatmeal or other grain/fruit bar with him/her as they are getting jackets on and running to the bus. Probably not what an R.D. would recommend but I'm talking about the real world where parents may be headed to work as kids are getting some nutrition, compared to none, before trying to learn at school. No offense to any R.D.'s.

Take home point - think out of the box. What do kids like? And parents can do the same as they head to work.

My second suggestion, and NO OFFENSE meant to Albertsons in the Dump Hunger food collection going on until next week, I think. Maybe somebody who knows the dates can list them.

If you don't shop at Albertsons, don't worry about it. Food from Walmart, Winco, Broulims and the Kroger stores (Smith's and Fred Meyers) or a different store is appreciated by someone who otherwise wouldn't have that meal. If you shop at Albertsons you know where everything is and can get food quicker.

Please list any suggestions or ideas you have as well as questions. Let's make sure lur neighbors have food in what will be dropping temps again.

I know anything anyone can donate is appreciated by one person or more.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 02-03-2014 at 02:27 PM..

Old 02-03-2014, 09:04 PM

432 posts, read 534,387 times
You can donate to dump hunger until February 20th, however don't be afraid to donate to the I.F. Food Bank anytime.

Don't forget the Souper Bowl between IF High School and Skyline.

And as far as shopping at Albertsons, there is always a great deal on non perishable food items and non perishable, think toothpaste and toilet paper.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:53 PM

Default Good Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFGuy View Post
You can donate to dump hunger until February 20th, however don't be afraid to donate to the I.F. Food Bank anytime.

Don't forget the Souper Bowl between IF High School and Skyline.

And as far as shopping at Albertsons, there is always a great deal on non perishable food items and non perishable, think toothpaste and toilet paper.
Very good ideas, IFGuy. I know we all think of non - perishables differently. Sounds like checking Albertsons might reveal some surprises. I'll have to look. Albertsons is such a great ID company and helps where they can.

I don't know about the Souper Bowl between I.F. and Skyline. Can you tell us more?

Thanks again for your good ideas.

MSR

Old 02-03-2014, 10:55 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,255,802 times
Do not forget the Salvation Army Food drives also help. I donate all the time their food drives every year. Or the Food kitchens.
Scott

Old 02-04-2014, 02:05 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,717,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Along with the non - perishable items I referenced above, I have a question and two suggestions for those working on Food Drives or Sponsorship.

1. For media, is it possible to have a downloadable list of items? Specific name brands are not needed. To illustrate my question how about this hypothetical situation: If I get Pasta, would the Food Bank accept a Sealed Jar of Mariana Sauce etc. too? Or do they just want the basics like Pasta, Hamburger Helper and the things I've heard to date? I tend to think of food in what is needed for a meal. I understand for the $, basics like Pasta and Rice can go to more people.

If others have questions about specific foods that won't spoil, this is an opportunity to ask. I believe we have one of our "neighbors" - another poster here who has volunteered at the Food Bank. That poster may be able to give us some tips.

I also have two other suggestions:

1. In my life I've worked with a lot of stressed kids and parents. When things go wrong, they tend to fall apart in many areas of a family's lives. Consequently, it relieves a lot of pressure for a parent to know there is food at home which their family can enjoy. That helps return a little more normalcy into the family's life.

Because I've worked with hundreds or more kids, I always think what would make them smile and feel nurtured a bit. In other words, comfort and"fun" food. I have no problem with cereal and it's best for some ages. However, when I shopped for my donations instead of getting several boxes of cereal I altered that part of my list so instant Oatmeal was included in the variety boxes (different flavors) as well as some cereal/fruit bars. I think kids and parents feel a little more in better if they have some choices just like we all do.

Perhaps a just fantasy for me but I would like to think a child could smile seeing PB also with some jam of jelly on toast or smile because there was a can of fruit cocktail with cherries for desert after dinner and cherries are their favorite.

I've shared those examples as I've had kids tell me those specific examples of how great their day was. I can never get food for any food drive that I don't buy some of those items given how happy the kids were when they told me .

A child late for school can take an Oatmeal or other grain/fruit bar with him/her as they are getting jackets on and running to the bus. Probably not what an R.D. would recommend but I'm talking about the real world where parents may be headed to work as kids are getting some nutrition, compared to none, before trying to learn at school. No offense to any R.D.'s.

Take home point - think out of the box. What do kids like? And parents can do the same as they head to work.

My second suggestion, and NO OFFENSE meant to Albertsons in the Dump Hunger food collection going on until next week, I think. Maybe somebody who knows the dates can list them.

If you don't shop at Albertsons, don't worry about it. Food from Walmart, Winco, Broulims and the Kroger stores (Smith's and Fred Meyers) or a different store is appreciated by someone who otherwise wouldn't have that meal. If you shop at Albertsons you know where everything is and can get food quicker.

Please list any suggestions or ideas you have as well as questions. Let's make sure lur neighbors have food in what will be dropping temps again.

I know anything anyone can donate is appreciated by one person or more.

MSR
MSR, you have a good heart. God bless you.

It's interesting that I've been reading a relatively new book entitled The Spirit Level which points out that INCOME DIFFERENCES between the highest and lowest social strata is the biggest contributor to social discordance. The book is written by two British researchers who compare and contrast nations, and when it come to the United States, they do it between states. Whether between nations or states, stress levels are higher, violence more prevalent, people less healthy, and individuals less happy the greater the difference in income between the top 20% and the lower 20% of the population. They said the data worked out the same if you reduced the gap to the top and lower 10% of population.

Now how does this affect Idaho? Well, their list of states actually has Idaho as one of the better states in the nation for LESS inequality among incomes--and that kind of surprised me because I know overall Idaho is very low on the pay scale. I suppose the data means there are not as many super-rich living in Idaho.

It's also interesting that their historical studies appear to bear out the same kinds of problems in decades past. That when INCOME LEVELS are MORE even, we seem to be more satisfied as a people. And, no, the U.S. was not the worst among the developed nations--Portugal got that dubious honor. We were third or fourth. Who was best? Japan.

The point was that where there is more equality in pay, then people TRUST one another more, rely on one another more, and identify with one another more--all leading to decreased levels of stress and violence. And strangely enough things are better for both the richest strata as well as the poorest strata. The increasing political polarity is also a phenomena connected to income disparity.

Anyway, you might want to get a copy--not a lot were produced (I think they are trying to raise money to produce a documentary)--and see the charts for yourself.

The expression of your concern for your neighbors exemplifies that where income levels are on a better parity among all folks, people care more about one another.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:50 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,273,163 times
I do know (or at least they used to) the Food Bank also accepts donations of dog and cat foods. Many folks that find a rough spot in their life also have pets and having to give them up can be a dismal thing to an already challenging time I believe they must still be factory sealed for safety concerns.

Often right before Christmas many pet related businesses participate in a pet food drive. I know at AmeriPet Hotel & Pet Center donations are accepted year round and get to the rescue organizations.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:26 PM

Default Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Do not forget the Salvation Army Food drives also help. I donate all the time their food drives every year. Or the Food kitchens.
Scott
Scott,

I appreciate your post. Yes the Salvation Army is involved, I believe, with food for the soup kitchen. As the saying goes, "Hunger knows no season," referencing the traditional holiday campaign. Especially with the frigid cold we had last night and probably again tonight,
some adults and families may well be paying extra for heating. Food might much harder for some to buy this month.

These are not usual temps!!! And it's important food is available for all.

I'm sure they are going to miss you in HI when you decide if eastern ID will be your new home.
I know this is off-topic but I want to tell you Scott and anyone else who is seriously looking at the area to call home, that after you have your visit scheduled, like Warden did, and I think you've got yours planned, Scott. I think participating in community discussions for Idaho Falls and elsewhere like you've done (and Warden did and continues to do too) is probably one of the most accurate ways to judge for yourself how neighbors treat each other in an area and what they value.

I think I'll recommend getting involved in discussions to others in the future. Future residents need to decide for him/herself what they can also contribute to an area. Few people are happy when they can't use natural talents in their new home. I see it as a two-way street... what does the area have I need or must have to relocate and where can I help? Sometimes ideas that start out as volunteering become businesses or more volunteering to make new friends. Good ideas can come from anyone at any location.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 02-05-2014 at 02:10 PM..

Old 02-05-2014, 01:35 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
MSR, you have a good heart. God bless you.

It's interesting that I've been reading a relatively new book entitled The Spirit Level which points out that INCOME DIFFERENCES between the highest and lowest social strata is the biggest contributor to social discordance. The book is written by two British researchers who compare and contrast nations, and when it come to the United States, they do it between states. Whether between nations or states, stress levels are higher, violence more prevalent, people less healthy, and individuals less happy the greater the difference in income between the top 20% and the lower 20% of the population. They said the data worked out the same if you reduced the gap to the top and lower 10% of population.

Now how does this affect Idaho? Well, their list of states actually has Idaho as one of the better states in the nation for LESS inequality among incomes--and that kind of surprised me because I know overall Idaho is very low on the pay scale. I suppose the data means there are not as many super-rich living in Idaho.

It's also interesting that their historical studies appear to bear out the same kinds of problems in decades past. That when INCOME LEVELS are MORE even, we seem to be more satisfied as a people. And, no, the U.S. was not the worst among the developed nations--Portugal got that dubious honor. We were third or fourth. Who was best? Japan.

The point was that where there is more equality in pay, then people TRUST one another more, rely on one another more, and identify with one another more--all leading to decreased levels of stress and violence. And strangely enough things are better for both the richest strata as well as the poorest strata. The increasing political polarity is also a phenomena connected to income disparity.

Anyway, you might want to get a copy--not a lot were produced (I think they are trying to raise money to produce a documentary)--and see the charts for yourself.

The expression of your concern for your neighbors exemplifies that where income levels are on a better parity among all folks, people care more about one another.
Glad you are keeping track of us, Warden. Thanks for your kind words. I'll have to tell you I didn't know about this Food Dump until someone else here told me about it. I just redistribute information sometimes

I learned about the Food Dump from, pw72, written elsewhere. So along with others, pw72, deserves a lot of credit for sacrifices he's made that I doubt many will ever know that are far beyond the obvious. Bad enough I couldn't spell Sandhill correctly when I started this thread.

Let me share your kind remark and wish with all that help. Cleosmom always has to remind me about Pet Food and until IFGuy mentioned Albertsons prices on items like toothpaste I didn't know. And I clearly recall Banjomike's post from around Christmas about the mom with young children in line where he was and let's just say when she couldn't get everything she had hoped and her distress. Darned if Banjomike didn't find some of his money paying for toys he didn't take home to play with, rather they went to an unknown home with small children. Tmp4 asked how to volunteer.

If anything I'm kind of the deadbeat of this bunch. I may know some resources or people but it is truly the acts of others who inspire me, including Scott and you, Warden. You're checking up on us to make sure we're on task as we focus on our daily work and our lives.

Take care and hopefully Dallas won't get the bad storms other areas of TX have.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 02-05-2014 at 02:14 PM..

Old 02-05-2014, 02:04 PM

Default Pets Need Food Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I do know (or at least they used to) the Food Bank also accepts donations of dog and cat foods. Many folks that find a rough spot in their life also have pets and having to give them up can be a dismal thing to an already challenging time I believe they must still be factory sealed for safety concerns.

Often right before Christmas many pet related businesses participate in a pet food drive. I know at AmeriPet Hotel & Pet Center donations are accepted year round and get to the rescue organizations.
Cleosmom, How did you know I was going to send you a note about pet food etc. donations? Great minds.......if you find mine, please send it back to me. But you addressed such an important subject....our furball friends.

So many families and adults don't know how to make their budgets stretch far enough to cover what their pets need.

Pets need extra food in these brutal temps, right? Maybe a little refresher course of how much extra food to feed would be a big help.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls