Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2007, 07:52 AM

81 posts, read 398,333 times

Advertisements

We were thinking of moving to the Calldwell (I think that's the name) area, but heard that many parts of the area have a big amount of gang related crimes and activities. (especially mexican gangs)

Is this true? We wanted to find a place near Boise (without being in the big city) where we would feel totally comfortable walking around the neighborhood...but by the way some people make it sound...it seems like a ghetto and we could get stabbed the second we wear the wrong colors or make the wrong gestures. :P

Can someone give me a REAL understanding of what the area is like? We are looking for housing for around $154k and under...and did find a few...just no idea if it's a good area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 11:45 AM

318 posts, read 1,316,867 times
First let me make it clear...I live in CA. But have researched the Boise area a lot. I get emails daily from Boise Realtors

Caldwell has a bad reputation for gang activity. I have met people from there and they confirm this as a problem area. Eagle is one of the most desirable areas...but also one of the most expensive. The cheaper homes in Boise itself and in a decent neighborhood are in what is called the "Boise Bench Area". Still not as cheap as you're looking for.

There is Kuna, Star and Emmett...these towns are on the cheaper side and from what I have been able to find out...very small towns.

Anyone from Boise want to jump in here and give their two cents.

Izzy

Old 09-14-2007, 01:44 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,884,600 times
You can safely live in Caldwell in a white area. I wouldn't move into a mexican area. Nampa seems safer than Caldwell, but if you in the burbs of Boise you don't really feel like your in a big city necassarily, but it can be spendy.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:43 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
I too have heard about the gangs of Caldwell. I asked about this with realtors in Meridian and Boise and they say everything is blown out of proportion and it is fine. There are simply some parts better than others. Obviously if you can swing living in Meridian and good parts of Boise, it's probably nicer than caldwell, but a bit pricier.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:32 AM

27 posts, read 148,197 times
I live in southeast Boise. There are affordable and nice 70's era homes (many remodeled like mine) in Boise its self. Boise is on the east side of the Boise-Nampa Metropolitan Area (and close to most jobs) and the slight Mexican gang activity that exists is on the west side of the metro area (Nampa and Caldwell).

You would have to see for your self how things are laid out, but Boise has a small downtown area (as it is a small city of 200,000) and most of the city is nice residential areas. You're definitely not living in an urban environment just by living within Boise city limits, lol.

So if preceived safety is a concern, I would recommened against the Caldwell side.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:49 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostPoet View Post
We were thinking of moving to the Calldwell (I think that's the name) area, but heard that many parts of the area have a big amount of gang related crimes and activities. (especially mexican gangs)

Is this true? We wanted to find a place near Boise (without being in the big city) where we would feel totally comfortable walking around the neighborhood...but by the way some people make it sound...it seems like a ghetto and we could get stabbed the second we wear the wrong colors or make the wrong gestures. :P

Can someone give me a REAL understanding of what the area is like? We are looking for housing for around $154k and under...and did find a few...just no idea if it's a good area.
a lot of caldwell is a crime hole. don't get me wrong, it does have it's good parts, but there are some places you just don't want to go. to play devils advocate. a lot of the gang activity that goes on is between the gangs, they usually don't have much interest in you.

nampa is somewhat the same, but it's a little bigger, so there are more good parts and more bad parts. either nampa or caldwell will have their areas that are pretty mellow, but it will cost you more to live there.

boise on the other hand probably has the best mix, there are some gangs and things of that sort, absolutely nothing compared to nampa caldwell

Old 09-29-2007, 01:10 PM
TFG

4 posts, read 50,692 times
Don't move there. Caldwell and the area around it is bad.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,180 times
Default Caldwell

I have lived in Caldwell for a while now it is fine, i am from England i am not used to gangs or any kinda of crime if there was any here do you think i would live here.My kids go to caldwell schools its great,Just make sure you check out the subdavisions really good before you buy but other than that trust me its a hidden secret.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:03 PM

18 posts, read 97,784 times
I would consider Caldwell North of I-84 and E of 20/26 to be a safe and quiet area. Deleware Park is a great sub in that part of Caldwell, and is in the price-range you specified.

Thanks,
John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho