Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 01:34 AM

12 posts, read 46,587 times

Advertisements

I'm a physician looking to set up shop in the near future and have always dreamed of living in the Mountain West. This desire stems primarily from a love of flyfishing, hiking, backpacking, and camping. In my dreamworld, I wake up on a Saturday morning--perhaps as the sun is rising--and take off with my sons into the wildnerness to get lost.

Unfortunately, my practice is such that I'm going to have to be closer to a population center, and thus Coeur d'Alene or Bozeman it is, I think, at least from my reading.

I'm looking for a more conservative locale with easy access to the outdoors. While I enjoy a good meal or mingling with friends, I couldn't care less about how hip or "cool" the vibe of a place is. I'd ideally find a location with good parochial schools (seems to me that Bozeman does a bit better than CDA here; not a big fan of government schools).

Taxes seem a bit more brutal in Idaho than Montana, but overall seem comparable when it's all said and done.

-- Which location offers best access to outdoor pursuits on a weekend? I'm not necessarily thinking any particular pursuit, though I admittedly love backpacking and cross-country skiing and snowshoing. I'd also enjoy getting back into hunting and teaching the youngsters over time and as they're ready.

From my impressions:

C'DA - Obviously nestled on a beautiful lake with a city beach, ample fishing opportunities, public access to the fishing holes. More green and lush than Bozeman. Seems more congested and more built up. Probably a more diversified of an economy. My guess is that it probably draws in more tourists given the lake being there and the proximity to Spokane. Probably a lot of empty homes on the water. A bit more crime. Beautiful location. Still affordable homes but becoming less so. Maybe a bit more cloudy in the winter.

For those with experience, I've explored the area to a degree, but it honestly seems most of the better outdoor pursuits in the area are in Sandpoint and further north, particularly if you're looking to go on some longer hikes. In many respects, I like Sandpoint a lot more than CDA, but I don't think I can set up a practice there with the population base. Fill me in where I'm ignorant. Is there a great site or book for exploring the CDA National Forest?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bozeman - Colder winters with more sun (I'm not sure this is a bad thing, having lived in Wisconsin; just more clothes). It honestly seems to have easier access to cross country skiing trails and hikes than does CDA. Jobs tend to pay lower wages--even more white collar jobs--given than 45% or so of the population has a college degree. This is no doubt in part fueled by the university, which also probably creates a slightly more liberal atmosphere than in CDA. Maybe a bit more hip. It's a bit more dry. No big bodies of water, but there's some mighty fine flyfishing in the Gallatin River.

It seems pretty difficult to acquire much land in either location, though it seems you're more apt to be able to do this in Bozeman. At least scenic land.

-------------------------------

I've also looked at Kalispell and am open to thoughts in this regad, too. Probably more cloud cover in the winter than either location and deeper snow. Probably not doing as well economically as either CDA or Bozeman. More along the lines of where I stand politically but also fewer parochiial school options if you're not Catholic. Maybe what I'm looking for, as well, from the extreme ease of access to some very beautiful backcountry--some of it national park and some national forest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 11:13 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,044,753 times
I think you have it pretty much covered.

Advantage to CDA is Spokane. From Bozeman you will probably spend more time in Billings. Both are fine towns, but I prefer Spokane. Spokane is the medical center for a very large region.

Schools are much better in Montana. Montana has some of the best public schools in the country. Does the Catholic school system cover high school in Bozeman.

Weather is real bad in Kalispell.

My preference would be Bozeman, Sandpoint, CDA, then Kalispell. I lived in CDA in the late 70's and worked for stretches in the other communities mostly in the last century.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:42 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
CaspariNorth,

Welcome to the Idaho forum

I've read your post twice and am confused by several things.
Maybe if I list a few you might be able to better clarify.

1. Your proposed choices of where you would live/practice clearly need a large enough patient base for you to earn the income you want/need. What is the demand for your specialty in CDA metro and Bozeman? What are the referral patterns? Knowing a lot about healthcare chains in the Intermountain States, I'm not certain what is the draw for you to only those locations.

I did read about your desire to hike and enjoy the beautiful scenery.

2. Are you restricted by a no-competition clause from other locations?

3. Have you explored other areas in Idaho, such as Eastern ID where Leaders from around the world have fly fished and hiked and very-established Parochial schools do well? Every sporting activity exists south of Bozeman that exists in Bozeman.

4. Depending on your specialty is there a greater need at one of the cities you've mentioned?
5. What would be your call in each of the two areas?
6. Will you join an established practice, obtain one from someone leaving the area, retiring etc.? Or will you be paying those costs yourself or hoping to be a hospital employee?
7. What is your malpractice insurance cost in each location?
8. Do you have existing offers from CDA and Bozeman or are you thinking ahead of where the majority of your wants/ desires for you, your family and your practice could exist?

Bozeman is more liberal than the CDA area and it probably is more likely due to those in major east coast media and related occupations who own property there, not only the University being there. That being said, I'll never forget the concert I attended in Bozeman where the weed in the flowers hadn't been removed on purpose. I don't know how often one sees MJ growing in the flowers, greenery at a University.

Hopefully, some of my questions will help you think a little about other factors in pursuing where to relocate.

I do realize I've asked what could be some very sensitive questions. You don't need to answer them for me but for yourself. You are welcome to send me a PM if you want. There are sensitive subjects I won't answer on an open post.

Good luck with the next step

MSR

Old 07-11-2013, 01:59 PM

294 posts, read 544,434 times
I have lived in both towns. The OP has it described right.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:19 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by javatom View Post
I have lived in both towns. The OP has it described right.
Has described what correctly? The OP also didn't factor in a few other factors. Even a primary care physician faces realities about medical practice in Bozeman. if s/he has a speciality medical practice, how would the populations of each location factor in?

I think the OP had a lot of info and questions in the post. It appears to me the OP does understand a lot about both areas; the questions weren't quite as obvious as the summary of other specifics for each area.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho