Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 12:05 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,460,110 times

Advertisements

Thanksgiving is less than a week away. In the Idaho forum we sometimes discuss subjects that interest us. We spend a lot of time answering questions from those who want to know more about Idaho. Sometimes our discussions get intense, some are always friendly, some can become comical due to the surprises auto correct leaves behind and others just happen with the ebb and flow of our lives.

Through all the discussions, I've learned to appreciate new aspects of some forum members who have posted for years, as well as newer members. I've also learned those who post do so because they care about this state and their future here.

This is NOT being written to create tension or to escalate anything. Those are elements I don't want in this thread. I think we'd all have to agree there are many things we all benefit from in our lives from being in the US and living, having lived or planning to live in Idaho. Too often, IMO, we focus on the negative. Let's focus on the positive here and what we're each thankful for this Thanksgiving.

From my perspective current residents, those planning to move here, former residents and others who want to express their thanks and good wishes for others are welcome to post here. I feel this is really important to do this year partly given how strained some of the threads have been. I suspect we all have a lot to be thankful for.

Please post what you're thankful for this Thanksgiving. Post as many times as you would like to as you think of what you are grateful for this year. Somewhere in your post, please include something you appreciate or like about Idaho and/or this forum.

I'll start by saying I'm thankful for many things and people this year. I appreciated our blue skies and fresh scents we get in the spring. I'm grateful for my family members that live in Idaho. Also, I'm thankful for living in a state and community where so many give of themselves to make life better for others.

Who is next?

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 12:23 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,260,831 times
Here is wishing everyone in Idaho a Happy Thanksgiving. Hope the hosue is full of family and friends, the way it should be, watching the parades and football.
Hope you are feeling better MSR.
Scott

Old 11-21-2015, 12:37 AM

29,220 posts, read 22,424,843 times
My family is going through some big stresses and strains right now. It may be possible that we won't all be at Thanksgiving dinner together this year, in part due to them.
But for me, I'm so thankful that we are all still vertical and suckin' wind that the dinner was optional anyway. it's the knowing that we will still be around the day after to keep working on our differences that counts, and I'm very thankful for that too. Small blessings or large blessings. I'll take all of both that I can get!

Old 11-21-2015, 01:17 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,460,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Here is wishing everyone in Idaho a Happy Thanksgiving. Hope the hosue is full of family and friends, the way it should be, watching the parades and football.
Hope you are feeling better MSR.
Scott
Thanks Scott. You just focus on you and everything in your life. Some people really do assume too much. I hope you remember all the wonderful Thanksgiving you've had in other years

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 11-21-2015 at 01:53 AM..

Old 11-21-2015, 07:06 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,851,328 times
Like Mike, we're going through some real difficulties right now (health-related). Fortunately, our kids are going to be doing the whole thing this year in our kitchen, so we don't have anything to worry about preparing. So the biggest thing we are thankful for is friends and family who have really stepped up to take care of us in our time of need, and who have been praying and encouraging us.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:13 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,019,906 times
I am very thankful for a very rewarding career that is soon coming to a close. Over the years I was fortunate to work with a lot of brilliant people who provided a lot of intellectual stimulation and helped me to grow in ways I could not have imagined as a young engineer at the dawn of my career 38 years ago. It's because of them that on most days I was glad to head in to work, and IMO there's nothing more important than that in a career.

We are thankful that we've reached this milestone with our health still with us, and hope that will continue for many years and allow us to enjoy north Idaho to the fullest.

We're thankful we have found "our place" in north Idaho. Every time we visit north Idaho it feels like we are meant to be there. It's hard to explain, and more than a little touchy-feely for this engineer, but the feelings are there and can't be denied.

We are thankful for our soon-to-be neighbors in Idaho who are looking after our home during this winter. They are stand up folks, and we look forward to our developing friendship in the coming years.

Finally, we're thankful that this will be our last Thanksgiving spent in California.

Dave

Old 11-22-2015, 11:18 AM

199 posts, read 316,713 times
I hope everyone up there in Idaho has a great Thanksgiving...!!!!

I am so thankful that we were able find a property/home up in NID that had almost all of what we were looking for and at a price that was within our range and will be even more thankful when we finally get up there. In my lifetime I've lived in Arizona, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts and California (top to bottom) and Idaho will be my last stop in life.

Thankful that even though it is California we have been able to live the rural life up here in the Sierra's for the last 21 years, it's quite different than living down the hill, just could not handle living in a city or a regular residential area.

And last but not least thankful for all my life experiences, good and bad, it's what made me who I am today.

Old 11-22-2015, 01:54 PM

235 posts, read 376,260 times
Well, I am sorry to hear that some forum members are having difficult times because I want good things for all of you. I'm also sorry that we are not up there permanently yet. We have, however, created our 10-year exit strategy and will probably be doing serious house-hunting in about 7-ish years. In the meantime, we will simply be happy with our once or twice a year trips up.

What am I thankful for? My husband and I both have really great jobs. Sure there is occasion stress, but for the most part, we are doing well. Strangely enough, I am also in the middle of a health issue, but hopefully an appointment on 12-1 will confirm that everything is all well again. Otherwise, we are healthy folk. Hubby has a great family who we enjoy spending holidays with. I made pumpkin muffins this a.m. with my first ever home-grown and processed pumpkin and they turned out really good. (an incredible surprise) My co-workers will enjoy tomorrow!

For those who are struggling with family/health/financial/whathaveyou issues, I'm sincerely sorry and hope you find joy in some fashion during the holiday season.

Michelle

Old 11-22-2015, 07:36 PM

445 posts, read 1,330,324 times
Happy Thanksgiving to all my C-D friends.

Every Thanksgiving I remember the knowing words of the author, Erma Bombeck:

Thanksgiving dinners take eighteen hours to prepare. They are consumed in twelve minutes. Football half-times take twelve minutes. This is not coincidence.

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 11-22-2015, 09:50 PM

209 posts, read 317,264 times
I am grateful for all the great information provided on this site. (Although, just like at my sister's house on Thanksgiving, I have to do quite a bit of ignoring of political views. ) I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving and that all your troubles are resolved soon. A special thanks to the native Idahoans for sharing their in-depth and valuable knowledge with us newcomers.

I'm also grateful for the great tenants taking care of our Boise house until we can get up there.

Happy Thanksgiving, all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: