Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 09:56 AM

31 posts, read 88,993 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I read couple of posts concerning Coeur d'Alene, IDon theinternetwhich I found interesting and strict, but I will like people in the forum to tell me if it's good and safe for me a Black man with family to live and work in Coeur d'Alene, ID. Am not trying to call you guys racists or rude, but some articles I read online wrote the population of black family in Coeur d'Alene, ID is 0.20% and people are rude to Blacks and Hispanics, while some articles praise Coeur d'Alene, ID for good friendly behaviors towards every human. Please I need a good and wise counsel from anyone who lives, lived in or been to Coeur d'Alene, ID. Hope to read from you guys.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 10:56 AM

271 posts, read 390,427 times
I would first decide if CDA is where you want to live leaving race aside and there is plenty of information out there about considerations to make. Once you have done that, I would make a personal assessment as to whether the demographics of the area are appealing to you.

In my opinion, racism in the USA today is all about what you make of it. If you want to make it a centerpiece of your life, then you will. If you want to live your life how you want and be successful irregardless of how other people feel about you, then you will. If the question is whether or not you will be safe living in CDA as a black man, then I would say for sure. You would be way safer living in CDA than most places in the USA, especially the ones that are a majority black. I think race relations in the USA are worse than they have been in decades thanks to the Obama administration. Mostly though, I think it is Blacks and Hispanics being more racist towards whites as a result of this ridiculous race circus of late. The whole issue is just retarded to me anyway. I grew up in an area of the country that is/was extremely diverse and culture/character to me is what is important. Color of skin is not unless you are calculating whether or not you will tan or burn if you go outside without sunscreen on a given day.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple1975 View Post
I would first decide if CDA is where you want to live leaving race aside and there is plenty of information out there about considerations to make. Once you have done that, I would make a personal assessment as to whether the demographics of the area are appealing to you.

In my opinion, racism in the USA today is all about what you make of it. If you want to make it a centerpiece of your life, then you will. If you want to live your life how you want and be successful irregardless of how other people feel about you, then you will. If the question is whether or not you will be safe living in CDA as a black man, then I would say for sure. You would be way safer living in CDA than most places in the USA, especially the ones that are a majority black. I think race relations in the USA are worse than they have been in decades thanks to the Obama administration. Mostly though, I think it is Blacks and Hispanics being more racist towards whites as a result of this ridiculous race circus of late. The whole issue is just retarded to me anyway. I grew up in an area of the country that is/was extremely diverse and culture/character to me is what is important. Color of skin is not unless you are calculating whether or not you will tan or burn if you go outside without sunscreen on a given day.

Thanks for your wise word of advise, I really appreciate. I do not live my life on race or what people around me say. I believe our character depends how people treat us. Thanks one more time for that advice. The cold weather won't be a problem for me because l live in Nebraska and I have seen a lot of it. Employment opportunities is what I and my wife want at this moment in other to provide the needs of our children.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:39 AM

820 posts, read 1,740,155 times
You live in the whitest, corn-husk park of the country and your worried about here? Like said, racism is what you make of it. The only black dude I know who has a problem here is the dude who anytime someone looks at him in a way that displeases him, he starts screaming racism.

Come here with the attitude that everyone is clear and you will be fine. Will you get **** from time to time? Yes, but there are morons everywhere and you cant avoid them unfortunately. Good Luck

Old 07-23-2015, 11:41 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,013,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifemmak View Post
Employment opportunities is what I and my wife want at this moment in other to provide the needs of our children.
I the end this may be your biggest challenge. The CdA area probably has the most job opportunities of anywhere else in north Idaho, but still it's not an area that is rich with career opportunities. The general advice is to have a job in hand before you make the move.

Best of luck to you.

Dave

Old 07-23-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifemmak View Post
Thanks for your wise word of advise, I really appreciate. I do not live my life on race or what people around me say. I believe our character depends how people treat us. Thanks one more time for that advice. The cold weather won't be a problem for me because l live in Nebraska and I have seen a lot of it. Employment opportunities is what I and my wife want at this moment in other to provide the needs of our children.
FWIW - The job situation could be real good or bad depending on what type of work you are in, regardless of your race. Many people commute to Spokane for work if they are business professionals. CDA seems to have lots of jobs, but mostly in the service industry and small businesses.

Also, pretty much everyone not-white I've seen or come across here seem to be doing just fine and looked plenty happy to be here. Any exchanges I've had with them were positive and friendly. The fact that there are so few non-whites here will absolutely mean a non-white will stand out, but that does not have to be taken as a negative in any way.

I visited the Philippines a couple of times in the last decade and was an even bigger minority than a black man in CDA. I was not with some organization or even in Manila very much but rather was with my family and in rural areas where we were immersed in the regular population. I think people stared at us the whole time everywhere we went and the looks on peoples face were a mix of awe, amicable, and also unpleasant. It really didn't bother me and was mostly something I noticed in hindsight. I think I could live there just fine under those circumstance but I'm not sure I'd want to, given other alternatives without that aspect. I imagine it would be that way for a non-white in CDA, although to a much less extreme degree.

In my opinion, all of that racist, neo-nazi, Aryan Nation BS is a false stigma attributed to Idaho in the past and now. Even when those idiots made the headlines, it was a mountain being made out of a tiny ant hill. The media and special interest groups have an uncanny ability to make that happen. Just because an area has a population is 95, 98, or even 100 percent white does not make them inherently racist but sprinkle a few idiots and pump it up in the national spotlight and with special interest groups and all of the sudden the whole state is considered racist forever (unless the govt. supposedly spends hundreds of thousands or more taxpayer dollars on a marketing campaign to change that stigma). Personally, I'd rather keep my tax dollars or have them spent on something important rather than try to beat back a stigma that I had no part in creating.

I hope this helps...

Old 07-23-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner View Post
You live in the whitest, corn-husk park of the country and your worried about here? Like said, racism is what you make of it. The only black dude I know who has a problem here is the dude who anytime someone looks at him in a way that displeases him, he starts screaming racism.

Come here with the attitude that everyone is clear and you will be fine. Will you get **** from time to time? Yes, but there are morons everywhere and you cant avoid them unfortunately. Good Luck

Hahaha, Well spoken Shaner. Thanks for the advice. If I may ask, how is the housing for 3-4bdr like (cheap, moderate or expensive)?

Old 07-23-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
I the end this may be your biggest challenge. The CdA area probably has the most job opportunities of anywhere else in north Idaho, but still it's not an area that is rich with career opportunities. The general advice is to have a job in hand before you make the move.

Best of luck to you.

Dave

Thanks man

Old 07-23-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner View Post

I thought that was Iowa!?!?!

Old 07-23-2015, 12:20 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,013,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple1975 View Post
I thought that was Iowa!?!?!
Just as a side note, I travel to Iowa regularly (our corporate HQ is there). I think people would be surprised at the diversity of the population there. It's much different than what I've seen in north Idaho.

I have never been to Nebraska, so I don't know what that's like.

Dave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho