Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 12:33 PM

30 posts, read 31,918 times

Advertisements

I want to move somewhere in the west near the mountains away from all the rain of the coast, but I'm severely allergic to juniper. Are there many juniper forests around the Palouse and nearby mountains? What about further north around Spokane and CDA? I know there are quite a few in eastern Oregon and southern Idaho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 01:19 PM

820 posts, read 1,740,155 times
Yes, they are everywhere in CDA. Easy to care for and drought resistant, they are very popular up here. I think you are going to have a hard time finding an area without them.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:50 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Shaner's right.

Junipers are native to the state, and most of the intermountain west. There are several different species that are native. Junipers are sort of evergreen pioneers; they are usually the first to re-seed soil that has been contaminated, like dry areas, and thrive where other evergreens won't.

The ones Shaner mentioned are popular for shrubbery here and are found almost everywhere throughout the state.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:33 PM

I not talking about decorative trees in yards. I mean natural trees out in the wild.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:29 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,013,254 times
While the Rocky mountain juniper (Juniperis scopulorum) is found in north Idaho, it is not widely distributed in natural areas.

I don't think I've seen one on our property (20 heavily treed acres). In the northern panhandle we mostly have Western red cedar, Western larch, Douglas fir, and Grand Fir.

Dave

Old 06-03-2017, 09:09 PM

Redcedar or red cedar? One is a tall sequoia looking tree and the other is an asparagus shaped juniper.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:43 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Idaho has mostly red cedar. We have the biggest cedar in the west here- 18 feet around, 177 feet high. It's called The King.

The World´s Tree Species: Giant Cedar near Elk River Idaho

Here's a big grove of Mountain Cedar:

The Cedar Grove - Outdoor Idaho's Palouse Paradise (Idaho Public Television)

Here's a list of our commercially harvested native woods. This site has extensive info on our forests.

Trees of The Idaho Forest

Old 06-04-2017, 10:29 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,013,254 times
Eastern redcedar (Juniperus virginiana) is not a true cedar, which is why the common name is spelled as one word. It isn't found in Idaho.

Western Red cedar (Thuja plicata) is found in many areas of north Idaho, particularly in areas that have more moisture than average.

Dave

Old 06-05-2017, 08:41 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,373,915 times
I've never seen natural junipers around CdA. Plenty of juniper bushes in yards, but it's not juniper forests like you'd see in the arid high desert areas. I have stumbled across cedars in the forests south of CdA around Moscow & Saint Maries.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:08 PM

448 posts, read 813,474 times
Distribution map for Rocky Mountain Juniper

There's also a few stands of Western or Sierra Juniper to the south.

Those are the two main species. Most others are endemic to other areas. Besides the man-planted varieties, there aren't a ton out in the wild, so it would depend on just how allergic you are as to whether the level of pollen would bother your allergies or not. They exist nearby - If you look at the first map, you can see how the edge of the range correlates with what Dave said about the areas south and east of CdA. Best thing to do is wait until the height of allergy season for those suckers and spend some time outside around Spokane-CdA and see if it affects you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho