Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 05:10 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.McClure View Post
...... near the mountains away from all the rain of the coast, ......
I know that people with juniper allergies really suffer during juniper pollen season. I even benefited from it when my neighbor bought 3 cords of juniper firewood and had a reaction to the smoke, so I ended up with their firewood. Juniper makes excellent firewood, by the way,

Here's your issue, OP. You don't want rain and you don't want juniper. But you can tell how many inches of rain a place gets by the type of wild tree that grows there. You don't like rain and neither does the wild growing juniper. So, dry places in the Pacific Northwest have juniper growing.

If you find a place where the wild trees are pine, then there is enough rain to keep the pine trees happy and too much rain for the juniper. Fir trees appear to want even more rain and there won't be juniper growing among the fir trees.

I suspect that if you have severe allergies, that domestic juniper might bother you, and juniper is extensively used for landscaping. If that is the case, then you would need to actually drive around and look at gardens in your area of choice.

I know several people who take the allergy shots for juniper and it seems to help a little bit, but not to make it go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 12:37 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I know that people with juniper allergies really suffer during juniper pollen season. I even benefited from it when my neighbor bought 3 cords of juniper firewood and had a reaction to the smoke, so I ended up with their firewood. Juniper makes excellent firewood, by the way,

Here's your issue, OP. You don't want rain and you don't want juniper. But you can tell how many inches of rain a place gets by the type of wild tree that grows there. You don't like rain and neither does the wild growing juniper. So, dry places in the Pacific Northwest have juniper growing.

If you find a place where the wild trees are pine, then there is enough rain to keep the pine trees happy and too much rain for the juniper. Fir trees appear to want even more rain and there won't be juniper growing among the fir trees.

I suspect that if you have severe allergies, that domestic juniper might bother you, and juniper is extensively used for landscaping. If that is the case, then you would need to actually drive around and look at gardens in your area of choice.

I know several people who take the allergy shots for juniper and it seems to help a little bit, but not to make it go away.
Yup. Spruce needs even more water than pine. The Sitka spruce depends on heavy rain and a damp atmosphere to survive, and the Englemann spruce also needs high moisture. The only stands of Englemann in Idaho are only found where there's a lot of ground moisture year round. The Englemann can grow in a drier climate, but won't flourish without lots of water.

This topic has made me wonder if other pine pollen can irritate people's allergies. I've seen the air in a lot of pine forests turn yellow with pollen when a wind gust comes along this time of year, but tree pollen has never bothered me; ragweed does it for me, but few others, and no trees I'm aware of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho