Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 08:33 AM

54 posts, read 75,278 times

Advertisements

I have been doing research since our last visit to Spokane/Coeur D'Alene area. We are coming back up from Texas in Sept. or October, trying to find out best time for Autumn color. I have been comparing property tax between Spokane and Coeur D'Alene/Post Falls/Hayden and from what I can see the property tax appears to be considerably less on the Idaho side. We are downsizing and attempting a early retirement. I would love to know from locals your thoughts on property tax from both areas. I love Idaho, it feels right to me. Money has to be a huge consideration so I have to look at the entire taxation. I am very excited for our second visit. If someone could throw in the best time for fall color that would be wonderful, I am getting ready to book the trip. We will be buying in the $250,000 range.

Thanks this forum has been so helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 09:16 AM

7,383 posts, read 12,675,598 times
No real fall color until around 2nd week in October if you want to catch the tamaracks turning yellow (right, NID'ers?). Sorry, can't help with WA property tax info. Best of luck!

Old 06-20-2017, 09:37 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,013,901 times
I've only spent one complete fall here so far, but I agree with CFF's estimate that you need to be into mid-October before there is much fall color. in the past we've visited in the fall earlier than mid-October and not seen any fall color. Obviously, that can vary from year to year based on the weather.

As far as taxes go there are several resources on the web that allow you to compare total taxation in one state vs. another. The Tax Foundation is one site I've used in the past, but you can find others if you don't like that one.

I don't know the specifics of property taxes in WA vs. ID, but you probably know that WA has no state income tax, whereas ID does. The revenue to fund the state and local governments needs to come from somewhere, so I would not be at all surprised if property taxes in WA are somewhat higher than in ID. I think in the end you are going to pay one way or the other, but it can make a difference depending on your personal financial situation.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:19 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
A couple of reasons on the taxes. Washington has no income tax and money has to come from somewhere to pay for services.

Idaho is a balanced budget state and also a conservative state. Washington is a "progressive" state that has a lot of tax and spend entitlement programs that have to be paid for.

I don't think you are going to be seeing a lot of fall color in Northern Idaho. Forests are conifer that do not change color in the fall. Fall color will be mostly in people's gardens where gardeners might have chosen a few trees specifically for fall color.

I don't think property taxes in Idaho are all that low, but I guess, coming from Texas where the reputation is for extreme high property taxes, Idaho must seem low by comparison.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:58 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,013,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't think you are going to be seeing a lot of fall color in Northern Idaho. Forests are conifer that do not change color in the fall. Fall color will be mostly in people's gardens where gardeners might have chosen a few trees specifically for fall color.
We have plenty of Tamarack (really, Western Larch) here in north Idaho. The Tamarack is one of the few coniferous trees that turns color and drops their needles in the fall. They are a beautiful golden color in the fall which contrasts nicely with the other green conifers that hold their needles all year.

There are also birch and aspen that turn color.

It's not New England, but very pretty nonetheless.

Dave

Old 06-20-2017, 11:09 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,773,028 times
Quote:
I don't think property taxes in Idaho are all that low, but I guess, coming from Texas where the reputation is for extreme high property taxes, Idaho must seem low by comparison.
Even without the homeowners exemption, the property tax on my new Idaho home is less than half what the Prop 13 controlled property tax is on my CA home. Once I sell my SoCal house, then I can apply for the ID homeowners exemption and it will go down approximately half the current amount.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 06-20-2017, 02:15 PM

820 posts, read 1,740,425 times
Kootenai county atleast has many different taxing districts, with varying dependants like where the water supply is coming from and if you are close to to the river or a lake. You can always go to the Kootenai County Assessors site and do some reading there.

Chris - Here is fall colors downtown.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:20 PM

54 posts, read 75,278 times
Thanks everyone, so helpful, I will be booking the 2nd week in October. Yes, Texas has crazy property tax. I have read several comparisons and Idaho is the winner where taxes are concerned. WA is a Medicaid state and is one of the highest taxation states in the country. Living on retirement income our income will be so small that paying state income tax will not matter. The big tax consideration for most people is property. Very excited to call Idaho home!!

Old 06-20-2017, 04:26 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,675,598 times
Quote:
A couple of reasons on the taxes. Washington has no income tax and money has to come from somewhere to pay for services.

Idaho is a balanced budget state and also a conservative state. Washington is a "progressive" state that has a lot of tax and spend entitlement programs that have to be paid for.

You're in for a surprise if you've made North Idaho your home by next fall! Everywhere there's a creek or a river you'll find groves of deciduous trees such as aspen and birch. Along Lake Pend Oreille there are also groves of sycamore. In the towns there are lots of glorious chestnut trees and other ornamental shade trees. And then there are the tamaracks = western larches, in-between the conifers of the forest.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:00 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,747,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
You're in for a surprise if you've made North Idaho your home by next fall! Everywhere there's a creek or a river you'll find groves of deciduous trees such as aspen and birch. Along Lake Pend Oreille there are also groves of sycamore. In the towns there are lots of glorious chestnut trees and other ornamental shade trees. And then there are the tamaracks = western larches, in-between the conifers of the forest.
I didn't think sycamores grew in Idaho unless they were planted by someone. Are you maybe thinking of cottonwood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho