Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 12:28 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
It may not happen as much as you think, as I.F. recovered from the Great Recession with a housing surplus and was already building lots of new homes before the next wave will roll in.

Idaho Falls has never been hit by the huge waves that affected CDA and Boise, but it has continued to grow steadily along with those other 2 cities without getting their attention. I'm sure it's day is coming, but there won't be a huge shortage of housing, I think.

All my life, the contractor's mentality has been different here. They have always build ahead of the curve. This has caused many of them to go broke, but it's also caused many to become very wealthy.

I.F. has always been speculative and full of risk-takers since its beginnings. This makes it different from all the others in southern Idaho.

I'm not boostering here- just facts.
You'd surprise. Portland, Ore was this way back in the 80's and 90's, thinking that only Seattle would be hit with influx of Californians and high prices. They felt there were way too many cheap apartments available. The same has happened to Boise. As Boise becomes more expensive, the flocks will look at Idaho Falls probably sooner than we think: two years maybe or even less. So enjoy it and the innocence while they last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 12:38 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,874 times
They're so many people contemplating leaving the Bay Area and L.A/Orange county areas as we speak. They're probably be moving in eastern Idaho direction within a year, if not months from now. They're being choke by rapidly escalating prices in California and realizing that Portland and Seattle are not much relief for them. They're now flocking to Boise with sky high rents that just hit the valley earlier this year. It's just the beginning. It will most likely spread to eastern Idaho early next spring as another wave of fed up Californians/western Washing and Oregon flock to cheaper areas for housing.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:44 AM

25 posts, read 71,942 times
I hope not and only time will tell. Your assessment makes sense. It does seem so many cities are growing so fast, even expensive places here in the OC. Hopefully those that come to Idaho will embrace the deep culture of the state and do not try to change it. I know the lifestyle is worth more than the cost of living, though the cost of living is important. Once the lifestyle is gone, it is gone.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:56 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
It's a spooky thing for me to contemplate. But you guys have a clearer picture than mine, for sure.

But I do know one thing that I believe is still true; Old Mother Idaho chooses her children. Many will come, but some will leave again. That's one thing that I've seen in every place I'be spent time in this state.

Many of her native kids (not always as young kids) have always left and never come back except for Christmas and funerals. Many newcomers have always pulled up stakes after a few years and moved on.

So I tend to think Idaho will grow, but she'll churn, too. I guess only time will tell.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:25 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
They're so many people contemplating leaving the Bay Area and L.A/Orange county areas as we speak. They're probably be moving in eastern Idaho direction within a year, if not months from now. They're being choke by rapidly escalating prices in California and realizing that Portland and Seattle are not much relief for them. They're now flocking to Boise with sky high rents that just hit the valley earlier this year. It's just the beginning. It will most likely spread to eastern Idaho early next spring as another wave of fed up Californians/western Washing and Oregon flock to cheaper areas for housing.
Boise has been a destination for Californians for years now. It's nothing new.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:14 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dog View Post
the tourist spot by CDA Lake so it was not the real feel. Many people have told me North of the freeway is the "real" CDA.........
CDA is touristy. It is beyond touristy and almost a caricature of touristy. The sidewalks are solid with large herds of tourists in their tourist clothing.

There are huge benefits to having the tourist mob. They bring lots of money and the businesses and the downtown area look very prosperous. The tourist dollars support wonderful little quirky shops that are fun to explore. Local dollars wouldn't be enough to keep those places open. There are a generous number of nice little restaurants, again supported by tourist dollars. There would not be so many restaurants if they had to rely upon local dollars.

The tourists go home at the end of summer (leaving all of their tourist dollars in the local economy) and all those lovely little quirky shops and the great variety of good little restaurants are left for the locals to enjoy in peace.

The scenery that brings the tourist is there for everyone to enjoy: the mountains, the lakes, the forest. In the height of tourist season, tourists were not noticeable out in the woods and at the lakes. They seem to concentrate in a small part of downtown and in a small area of the shoreline of CDA lake.

CDA is not a big town and the majority of small towns have struggling and decaying downtowns. It is a huge plus to drive through town and see everything looking so prosperous. There are no boarded up shops, no pawn shops, no money lenders, no peeling paint or dirty buildings. OK, there are pawn shops, tattoo parlors, check cashers in a specific area of town if you really need them, but not downtown where they are prominent.

I tend to like the flocks of tourists. They are colorful and cheerful and give a good atmosphere to the downtown area. They make the place feel like fun.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:02 AM

159 posts, read 354,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dog View Post
Idaho is great everywhere, but I think CDA can be something special and people keep telling me that. CDA was a last minute change in our travel plans because so many people told me I must go to CDA. I was not in CDA long enough to get a real good feel. Of course I spent some time in the tourist spot by CDA Lake so it was not the real feel. Many people have told me North of the freeway is the "real" CDA in the way of people living life and using the businesses that are not tourist traps, but for residents more than anything.
You aren't going to get the real feel of Coeur d'Alene if you come during the busy summer season. The real CDA can only be experienced during the off season when we have our beautiful town all to ourselves again. It made me laugh to think that north of freeway could be the "real" CDA as most of the north side of town looks like anywhere in the US. The lake, Tubbs Hill, City Park, the di*ke road and downtown Sherman are all definitely the real CDA.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:22 PM

Oregonwoodsmoke. Agree that it keeps CDA healthy on the city money side and it only affects a portion of the city during the summer time. Great insights into CDA Oregonwoodsmoke. Thank you.

Walkaboutcda- I have heard that one must visit during both times to get a real feel. The North of the freeway thing made me laugh when I first heard it because a huge part of CDA proper was South of the freeway and those people and activities are what drove the building of the rest of CDA, especially the mostly newer North West portion. Plus the South section like you listed with activities and people are what drove the great migration to the current part of CDA toady. The North side is more anywhere US like you said. The North West side has small trees planted around homes instead of homes placed around native giant trees and so forth.

Last edited by K-Dog; 07-26-2017 at 02:33 PM..

Old 07-26-2017, 03:30 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,012,542 times
The reality is that the "real feel" of CDA includes both the busy summer tourist season as well as the quieter off season. The "real feel" of CDA includes both the older sections of the city south of 90, as well as the newer sections north of 90. All of that makes up the reality of CDA as it exists today.

It is a good point that to see the complete picture one would need to visit a different times of the year. If someone is considering making CDA their home, it would be wise to experience the full deal before finalizing their decision.

Dave

Old 07-26-2017, 04:17 PM

I also noticed driving in CDA, looking at photos on Zillow from home sellers, and street view of Google maps that many homes in Northwest CDA and homes in Post Falls near Parie don't have a good view of anything including the mountains. The neighborhoods are sterile and clean, but one can walk in the backyard and only see the vinal fencing and the other two story homes around with no view of anything nature. There are many different neighborhoods in the CDA area. One can have a home that is sterile and used as a jump off point for adventures or having a home with a view or backed up to nature. There are many options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho