Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 09:17 PM

5 posts, read 15,567 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

We are heading on a road trip to Boise and it's surrounding areas as a bucket list to do! Looking to do the drive from Orange County, CA to Boise, mature couple and our 10yo Golden Reteiver as well as two small "lap dogs". What would you recommend as a safe route. We are allowing 2 days drive time due to the many stops we need to make for the pups. Spending a week in Boise and the area, then back home. Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 10:17 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Depending on the time of year, there are two different routes that would be recommended. Winter and later Spring/Summer. For the former, I would do I-15 up through Vegas, Salt Lake, and north to I-84 into Boise. I-15 is generally a good winter route, but always check conditions. In late Spring and/or Summer take I-5 to Sacramento, then I-80 up to US 95 at Winnemucca, into Ontario and a slight backtrack SE into Boise on I-84.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:12 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
We've driven from San Diego County to North Idaho every summer since 2004, and we've tried just about every route except 93 up through Nevada (too hot, and not enough motels). The easiest and fastest route is definitely I-15 to I-84, but it isn't exactly spectacular except from the Virgin River Canyon to SLC. We've done I-5 through Sacramento quite often, too, and the vast, open landscape of fields and rolling hills from Grapevine to Sacramento is interesting the first time. The next time it is just boring! I-80 though the Sierras is great, but 95 up through NV is the loneliest and most frustrating desert route I know. Hours and hours of miles, and it feels like you're not making any progress. It's just very monotonous. And I like desert driving! Just not 95 from I-80 to Idaho!

I have to say I am partial to 395. Twice we have gone I-5 to I-80, and then north on 395 along the Sierras to 20 East to 26 to Ontario, then 84 (+ north on 95 to North Idaho). I think 395-20 is the most scenic route of them all. You'll go through mountains and valleys, high desert, along strange lakes and scenic rivers, and you can do it with 2 overnight stays, with dogs. We always travel with our dogs, too. Unless you want a super safe, super simple route (I-15 to I-84), I suggest you do the scenic route going to Boise, and the easy and fast route going home.

Have a great trip! Once you've done the Boise trip, you'll probably want to add other parts of Idaho to your bucket list!

Old 01-28-2018, 07:25 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Go up I-5 to Weed then up to Bend. Head due east from Bend to Boise.

That's the prettiest route with the straightest and most level roads. It passes very close to Crater Lake, and that is worth a quick stop to look and take photos. There are good places to eat in Bend, but not much after you leave Bend.

Driving on I-5 is fast. Oregon has good rest stops along the way where you can walk the dogs. My memory says California does, too, but it's been a long time since I drove that route.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:03 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Others have given you some great options for routes. I'd like to add to remember to bring either bottled water or tap water the dogs are used to in order to minimize any "issues"

Old 01-28-2018, 10:26 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Go up I-5 to Weed then up to Bend. Head due east from Bend to Boise.

That's the prettiest route with the straightest and most level roads. It passes very close to Crater Lake, and that is worth a quick stop to look and take photos. There are good places to eat in Bend, but not much after you leave Bend.

Driving on I-5 is fast. Oregon has good rest stops along the way where you can walk the dogs. My memory says California does, too, but it's been a long time since I drove that route.
I didn't think of Bend-to-Boise, because we always go north from Bend. Good idea. Weed-to-Bend (97) is an easy drive in the daytime. At dusk the road is busy with suicidal deer getting ready to jump in front of your car. Here's another not-to-be-missed attraction just south of Bend, 15 miles east on 21 by Paulina Lake: The obsidian lava flow! A huge mound of black glass. It's a truly otherworldly experience.
Obsidian Flow - Visit Bend, Sunriver, Redmond, Sisters | Central Oregon Tourism Information

As for the CA I-5 rest stops: Don't count on them being open! During the recession many of them simply closed, and last we drove up I-5 a few years ago, most hadn't been opened yet. And there is very little warning. You get an old sign saying, "Next rest stop 40 miles," and then when you approach the (badly needed) rest stop, it is cordoned off, with a "Closed" sign. Right, our CA tax dollars at work. So the lesson is, when you see an open rest stop on I-5, use it! Those that are open usually have good rest areas for dogs, too.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:24 PM

100 posts, read 143,522 times
I have made several trips while moving and tried different routes. I15 was NEVER even considered--too out of the way. My go-to route is up 395 out of Hesperia to Bishop. Bishop makes a nice lunch stop with good choices for food, especially compared to other towns along the route. There is a nice park there for dogs (I had one on several trips) and cheaper gas than the other towns on the way there. Take 6 out of Bishop towards Tonapah and turn on 360 to US95. I get gas in Hawthorne NV and go through Fallon up to I80 and then to Winnemucca NV. I have overnighted there twice. Stay on 95 out through the corner of OR up to 55 into Nampa.

A couple of early trips were on 395 to Lee Vining and across to Hawthorne but winter snow at elevation made the decision to drop down an easy one. This run can be done in one long day. Mostly done that way but stopped twice overnight in Winnemucca.

I did one run up I15 to 93 north of Vegas up to Twin Falls and I84 to Nampa that way. Long run and expensive gas.

As for rest stops, there are many on the way up 395 and 95 and all open. Oregon ones are very basic.

Your call but that route worked best for me.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:27 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta_Here View Post
My go-to route is up 395 out of Hesperia to Bishop. Bishop makes a nice lunch stop with good choices for food, especially compared to other towns along the route. There is a nice park there for dogs (I had one on several trips) and cheaper gas than the other towns on the way there. Take 6 out of Bishop towards Tonapah and turn on 360 to US95. I get gas in Hawthorne NV and go through Fallon up to I80 and then to Winnemucca NV. I have overnighted there twice. Stay on 95 out through the corner of OR up to 55 into Nampa.
This is the route I took the last few years for my many trips in moving from the Antelope Valley to NID. It's an interesting drive the first handful of times, but gets old after that. It is familiar enough now to know where the best places are to spend a few hours getting a late night nap.

First gas stop in Bishop at the Von's; where you can pick up a quick sandwich at their deli. Next gas stop in Hawthorne followed by one in Winnemucca. Last gas stop is at the Standard station right inside the Idaho border after you drop out of the Owyhee hills and where the 95 intersects the 55 in Marsing. Instead of going left in Marsing like I would do to get to NID, you'd turn right and take the 55 to where it connects to I84, then on to the greater Boise area.

There are a few high places along this route that could possibly have a temporary closure due to snowfall, but I've always been able to make it through fine. The route just might have more semi trucks travel on it than passenger automobiles/trucks.

All those little towns along the route? When the sign says "25 MPH", you best keep to that. Doesn't take all that long to get through them.

- - -

Went back south to spend New Years with my friend and took the 15 on the way back. Mostly for a 'change of scenery'. Probably won't do that again soon. Adds too many miles and hours to the trip. And I've seen Utah from I-15 so often that it's getting boring too.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 01-29-2018, 07:24 PM

100 posts, read 143,522 times
The nice feature about US95 is that it is a truck route so the roads are kept pretty clear. I make the first gas stop at the Pilot on 395 just off I15. Good coffee at those places.

Second is in Bishop at the Pace station about in the middle of town. They have a very nice deli and often have tamales for $1.99. Sandwiches are inexpensive and come with chips and your choice of side. I went to the Vons on the way back last time and gas was higher than at the Pace station and you have to walk farther for a sandwich. Also the park is just past the motel next to the Pace station for doggy exercise. Don't have to move the car at all.

The gas stop I use in Hawthorne is the 76 station on the truck bypass. Cheapest gas in town. Plus if you use a 76 card you get the cash price.

There is also a nice park just off the interstate in Lovelock for a rest stop and dog walk. I usually do gas at either the TA or Pilot before Winnemucca. The Conoco station in town has gas a couple of cents cheaper.

The last run up last week had a dusting of snow on the mountains out of Winnemucca and OR. Roads were clear and the view was amazing. The Griddle in Win has a great breakfast too. I had dinner at Sids, which was not bad either.

Good point about the low speed limits in small towns. Don't take them lightly as they are heavily enforced at all hours. Large source of income for those places.

Figure on four hours both going or coming from Winnemucca to Nampa.

I have done the 395 all the way into OR but don't recommend that one at all. Traffic through Tahoe and Truckee is bad, plus the very real chance of serious snow this time of year.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:39 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,010,138 times
If you are stopping for lunch in Bishop you should try Mahogany Meats. It's on the east side of 395 towards the north end of town.

Excellent sandwiches, and while you're there pick up a pound or five of the best bacon in the world.

Dave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho