Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 09:42 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,022,833 times

Advertisements

There are certainly properties suitable for horses in the Sandpoint area, actually all over north Idaho all the way up to Canada. We live outside Sandpoint, and prefer it to the CdA area mainly because it's less crowded, both in town itself and the surrounding area.

The drawback is that we do end up travelling to CdA for some shopping and other things. We're probably down that way about once a month or so. It's a little over an hour from our place each way. We don't mind it, but others may want or need to be closer to the amenities of the city.

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 10:13 AM

7,519 posts, read 2,820,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
My spouse and I moved to the Olympia area last year from Phoenix. To say this area has been a disappointment is an understatement. The rain is fine, but the area is far from any big city amenities that my spouse and I miss. The area we ended up in is sketchy and more than one neighbor throws trash in the yard including mattress, grills, every kind of junk. We needed a horse property and bought this one.

My spouse has a Masters in electrical engineering and works at home. I also work at home selling insurance. We had originally wanted to move close to Seattle, but the housing market is too crazy. This area is not what we like, my spouse really hates it here, although the house is beautiful and surrounded by fields. Big trees hide the awful houses.

Would Couer d’Alene be a better fit? The requirements would be a few acres for the horses, a fixer house, maybe somewhere between 400,000 to 500,000. It would have to be an area where professionals or people who take pride in their home live, a lot of our neighbors have poorly kept houses and seeing 800 square foot homes piled high with junk in the yard is awful. The nearest towns are depressing to look at and are noted for having a meth problem. No, we didn’t take more time and look around, but should have. We had to buy, since no landlord would rent to people with four dogs, the Phoenix house had closed and we needed something quick.

This is not the right place, hubs hates the rain, we both dislike the isolation, a lot of locals are either rude or surly, there are no good restaurants or shopping for many miles, Olympia has a bad homeless problem, meth seems to be everywhere. His siblings live closer to Seattle, although they bought homes years ago.

We definitely plan a move in 2019 and I’ve heard good things about CDA and living in a clean, upscale area not too far from a major city is important. It’s not far from Spokane which would be big city with the nice restaurants and shopping my spouse misses. Anyway, this town is on the radar along with a couple of other places, and I was hoping to pick up more information on the town and general area.
Oh if only we were ready to sell. Perhaps by 2019. Good luck in your search. We do love north Idaho.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:20 AM

67 posts, read 90,836 times
It seems like you are looking for an upscale ccr planned community that allows horses. I don’t know if that exists here? We have upscale neighborhoods, and horse properties, but not combined to my knowledge. Traveling into the areas here of larger acreages for horses, you will find school buses welded together for housing, hoarders, trash, meth, flannel, and Confederate flags. I am thinking Bend or Redmond Oregon might fit your needs for housing, but you will give up proximity to a larger city. Bozeman would seem like an awesome option imo.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:54 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,767,527 times
Quote:
That’s quite a horse property, but way too much in the way of horse facilities, it looks more like a professional set up. My horses are Paso Fino’s and pretty tough, they have mustang blood. I’ve tried to blanket a couple of them in the cold and they’ve torn it right off. They survived the awful heat in Phoenix to almost year around rain here and they are thriving. Just a modest barn for cold nights, but I let them decide to stay in or go out.

A friend recommend Couer d’Alene and I wanted to get more info on the area. Honestly, Spokane has a drug reputation that dosen’t thrill me. There is enough meth around Olympia.
I wasn’t suggesting you try to find a horse property in Spokane, but outside in the rural areas. A lot more nicer horse properties. Buckeye Valley Estates in Colbert and the N. highland neighborhood also in Colbert is a lovely area with nicer, upscale homes and small acreages for horse owners. Deer Park is another option and Nine Mile Falls.
I totally get not wanting to be in Washington if you are set on Idaho but as a horseperson, just offering other options based on my long experience as a horse owner here.

I was a horse owner in Phoenix too. Boarded for a time on Dynamite in north Scottsdale and mostly in Waddell and Litchfield Park. Moving to the Priest Lake and Sandpoint area was a nice surprise for my horses. All the grass!

Old 06-12-2018, 05:58 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,143,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Bend is much more horse oriented. There are lots more small acreage horse properties near into town and more riding trails. The dryer weather is better suited to horses.

Real estate in Bend is about the same price as real estate in CDA, but there are more of the type properties you want available.

For your price, you could get a well set up horse property in Crooked River Ranch, OR. 30 minutes from Bend, no shopping, no culture, but an easy drive to town. Many of the neighborhoods are well maintained and there are riding trails and National Grassland to ride on. In CRR, you can get Prine Time internet, which is wireless but a very well run local company. There is also Crestview Cable Internet to most of the area. Again, a very well run local company

I think you can get exactly what you want in Coeur D'Alene, but for 5 acres, zoned for horses, with well maintained neighbors, right next to town, you are going to have to up your budget. I suggest you come to CDA for a week long vacation and take a look around.

Thanks for the input on Bend, Oregon is a beautiful state, and I think the craziness level is down from what it is in Washington. A visit to both Bend and CDR are easy now that we’re living up here. I’m looking forward to visiting both places.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't know how many horse properties there are in Boise, but real estate in Boise is less expensive than in Coeur D'Alene. Weather is warmer. It's an agricultural n area, so there must be horse properties and hay available.

In North Idaho, Sandpoint is, to me, the most gorgeous area, and it is less expensive real estate than CDA. I've driven past many horse suitable properties there. But it is a very small community with limited amenities and a long drive to anywhere with city amenities.. It's a tourist area, so is more lively in summer and rather shut down through the winter. But it is so beautiful. If you are in CDA to look around, take a drive north to look at Sandpoint.

There are horse properties in Sandpoint,, but I suspect the main attraction of Sandpoint is to boaters.
It’s funny that you mention Sandpoint, I was on Zillow and saw a few houses in the area that were possible. Sandpoint is now on the radar as well!

Not sure about Boise, I’m trying to find an area to put the horses and appease my finicky spouse and still stay within visiting distance to his family in Seattle. He is not really into horses although he has always helped look after them if I was out of town or had the flu. He really likes an upscale area, North Scottsdale is hard to compete with, but I’ve heard good things about CDA, so that seemed like a good starting place.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
There are certainly properties suitable for horses in the Sandpoint area, actually all over north Idaho all the way up to Canada. We live outside Sandpoint, and prefer it to the CdA area mainly because it's less crowded, both in town itself and the surrounding area.

The drawback is that we do end up travelling to CdA for some shopping and other things. We're probably down that way about once a month or so. It's a little over an hour from our place each way. We don't mind it, but others may want or need to be closer to the amenities of the city.

Dave
I was wondering what the drive distance from Sandpoint to CDA was and you answered it, thanks! An hour is not a bad drive and I’m guessing this has a major road. I was on Zillow recently and was very impressed with not only the area, it looks very nice there, but also the housing prices. I found a few houses that were possible and none of them was over budget.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Oh if only we were ready to sell. Perhaps by 2019. Good luck in your search. We do love north Idaho.
Thanks, it’s great to hear from locals!

Old 06-12-2018, 06:22 PM

7,519 posts, read 2,820,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmmhc View Post
It seems like you are looking for an upscale ccr planned community that allows horses. I don’t know if that exists here? We have upscale neighborhoods, and horse properties, but not combined to my knowledge. Traveling into the areas here of larger acreages for horses, you will find school buses welded together for housing, hoarders, trash, meth, flannel, and Confederate flags. I am thinking Bend or Redmond Oregon might fit your needs for housing, but you will give up proximity to a larger city. Bozeman would seem like an awesome option imo.
If you are talking about CDA/Post Falls this is not true. Sure there are bad areas but none of my neighbors properties nor mine look like you describe.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:26 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,022,833 times
Quote:
I was wondering what the drive distance from Sandpoint to CDA was and you answered it, thanks! An hour is not a bad drive and I’m guessing this has a major road. I was on Zillow recently and was very impressed with not only the area, it looks very nice there, but also the housing prices. I found a few houses that were possible and none of them was over budget.
From Sandpoint itself to CdA is closer to 45 minutes and its all on a US Highway (US 95). A good bit of it is 4 lanes already, and the plan is that it all will be widened to 4 lanes at some point.

We are about 12 miles off US 95, and then 5 miles south of Sandpoint once we get there, so that adds to our drive time to CdA.

Dave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho