Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2018, 10:56 PM

38 posts, read 56,154 times

Advertisements

In the "North Idaho Home Architecture" thread someone spoke of using a gable to prevent avalanches on one's porch. The person, hired by the previous owner, who put up the awning on our deck didn't do that and we get avalanches, despite the snow-brakes up there. Or, the snow piles up on the snow brakes and then cuts loose.

Anyway, last winter we had a half-ton chunk of ice fall from the second-floor roof onto the awning and cracked three joists and broke one. We've had it shored-up ever since.

We've been thinking of having some other, possibly major, work done on the house. Get rid of skylights, have the sloping ceilings raised so we don't have to crouch in some places, etc. We would like to have a gable put up where the sidewalk enters the deck, to stop the aforementioned avalanches.

Having never done this kind of thing before, how would we proceed. I assume that a builder works from a blueprint but I've never drawn one, and would not really trust a house that I designed.

Hope the question isn't too broad, but any answers would be appreciated. We're in Boundary County, if that matters.

K-R.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 01:57 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
A gable can work to deflect and route the snow away from your porch. I had one built over a back door on a former home when the house was being re-roofed.

I don't believe in trying to stop the snow from sliding on a roof. It's better to allow it to slide off easily and direct the slides. Any good roofing company will give you good advice on what's needed.

It always helps a lot if a house has cold eaves. They cut down on ice dams forming along the edges of the roofing and icicile problems. But I've noticed a lot of new houses around there that haven't taken that problem into account when the house was built, and it would be a major expense to change the eaves on them. Venting the attic will also cut down on the icing, and vents are pretty cheap.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:32 AM

7,383 posts, read 12,677,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kchula-Rrit View Post
In the "North Idaho Home Architecture" thread someone spoke of using a gable to prevent avalanches on one's porch. The person, hired by the previous owner, who put up the awning on our deck didn't do that and we get avalanches, despite the snow-brakes up there. Or, the snow piles up on the snow brakes and then cuts loose.

Anyway, last winter we had a half-ton chunk of ice fall from the second-floor roof onto the awning and cracked three joists and broke one. We've had it shored-up ever since.

We've been thinking of having some other, possibly major, work done on the house. Get rid of skylights, have the sloping ceilings raised so we don't have to crouch in some places, etc. We would like to have a gable put up where the sidewalk enters the deck, to stop the aforementioned avalanches.

Having never done this kind of thing before, how would we proceed. I assume that a builder works from a blueprint but I've never drawn one, and would not really trust a house that I designed.

Hope the question isn't too broad, but any answers would be appreciated. We're in Boundary County, if that matters.

K-R.

In my experience you don't provide the blueprint. What you provide is a sketch of what you had in mind, and then the professional builder should know how to take it from there. The builder will then provide a draft, these days frequently using a computer program where the image can be turned in all directions (3D modeling), and you will have to approve that. If you know how to draw on grid/graph paper, using exact measurements, that will be of help, but the builder shouldn't presume that you can do designs.

If you want to follow the advice in previous posts, let an architect with local experience do the drawing and let him/her suggest a local builder. I see online that there is at least one designer in Bonners Ferry, Don Jordan Design & Drafting, but Sandpoint has at least 10 architect firms. You may want to ask neighbors who have remodeled, or are building/have built a new home, if they can recommend a designer/builder. Good luck!

Old 09-26-2018, 10:04 AM

294 posts, read 544,836 times
Hire the designer first, not the builder. It can be done the other way but then you are tied to that particular builder.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:55 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,983 times
What javatom said. In most cases a builder can do anything he has a blueprint for, but it is a rare builder who can take your needs and ideas and turn them into a working reality. You want competent people designing and building what you are talking about. It costs some, but not as much as doing it twice or having it fall down...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho