Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2020, 10:36 AM

726 posts, read 328,770 times

Advertisements

I had a couple dead trees taken down, cut up, and stacked*. These logs are much too big for my maul. I don't really want to buy a log splitter, and I don't really even want to rent a splitter: I want someone in the Sandpoint area to bring their high-powered log splitter to my place and split all these knotty logs into quarters. Does anyone know of anyone who does this?

* This was really an amazing operation! Ty Oliver climbed up the tree, stripping off the limbs as he went. Once at the top, he started cutting off and dropping logs on the way down. His crew stacked the logs. It was something to watch!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2020, 12:45 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
I suspect it would be a lot cheaper to rent a log splitter than to hire someone to pull their log splitter to your place and split those logs for you.

Another solution would be to give the logs away. Someone will take them and save you the work..

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 08-27-2020 at 12:53 PM..

Old 08-27-2020, 08:53 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,010,897 times
I've not heard of anyone who offers that service. You might think about contacting someone who sells firewood, and perhaps they might be open to taking your logs in return for a reduced price on an some split firewood.

Frankly, if you live on a wooded property, and will have an ongoing need for firewood, I'd suggest you buy a splitter. I know of some people who have bought splitters together with neighbors, and they work together to get their joint firewood needs taken care of each year.

Dave

Old 08-27-2020, 08:57 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,825,814 times
Perhaps rent a splitter and hire someone to do the splitting labor?

Old 08-27-2020, 09:12 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,662,916 times
Is there a local market with a bulletin board in your neighborhood? Try posting your question there. Plenty of people still use those boards. If they have a neighborhood website, you might try that, too. Somebody may be selling their splitter.
Also, be sure to pick up a Nickel's Worth. They have great listings.

Old 08-27-2020, 11:07 PM

4,936 posts, read 3,311,281 times
Post your question at www.hearth.com/talk/

Old 08-28-2020, 03:11 PM

726 posts, read 328,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Is there a local market with a bulletin board in your neighborhood?
That's what my wife suggests for finding a handyman for particular jobs. But I should have just called Oliver to see if he knew of anyone, and it turns out he's got a humongo-splitter, and he sent a small crew over that afternoon (not how things normally work around here!), and they powered through those logs... it was an amazing transformation from a bunch of unusable wood into a whole lot of usable wood, fireplace-ready. Yes, there was some expense. For what they did, I gladly paid it.

And I'm supporting my local community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho