Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 11:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,003 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! This is my first post on these forums, but I have benefited from using them for some time and I just wanted to thank you all for your contributions.

I am planning on moving to north Idaho (most likely the Hayden area) later this year, and after doing research about the area my only lagging concern is the bleed-over of crime from Spokane into north Idaho. I am basing my take on the crime of these two areas entirely on statistics and opinions from people who live there, particularly on these forums and YouTube, and both give the impression that north Idaho can be considered to be a relatively safe area, but Spokane - or Spokompton/Spokanistan as it's referred to - seems to be a very high-crime city.

Based on this, I would like to know: is Spokane as dangerous as it seems, and how much does its purported crime affect north Idaho? I would like to be able to go to Spokane occasionally for entertainment and such - and it has the only Chick-fil-a in the area - but I would be less interested if it is as dangerous as people say.

Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 12:49 AM

27 posts, read 22,491 times
No, Spokane is not as bad as some say. Still, there are neighborhoods I would not want to find myself.

Yes, there is spillover crime. Don't have stats to back it up, except for what I see in the daily paper. It seems a lot of people who get caught with their hand in the till come from Washington state. This is where the interstate hurts. Easy access. Hayden is a few miles off the freeway, and will have relatively less spillover crime than places closer to the freeway.

The spillover crime does not affect the general population as much as one would imagine. If I were to hazard a guess, I suppose that the type of people who commit crime associate with like minded people everywhere. For example, a druggie isn't going to hand out with a church-going group. Quite a bit of the crime is drug related, and the general populace doesn't come into contact with that element often, if at all.

Not sure what the deterrent affect is, but Idaho is a constitutional carry state. You never know who is carrying and who is not. And, a lot of people do. You won't see open carry very often, but there are a "ton" of people who carry concealed.

Thankfully, between CdA/Hayden/Post Falls/Rathdrum, there is all the shopping one would want, (except for Chick-fil-a and Trader Joe's). I don't like going over into WA, but have to several times a month. The place just doesn't appeal to me. Trash everywhere. Things look run-down. Very aggressive drivers. etc. However, they do have the only Apple store anywhere nearby and the aforementioned Trader Joe's.

Just saw the stat last week. Rathdrum, the city in which I live, is the fourth safest city in Idaho for 2019, the latest available stats. Not bad for a city with two state highways running into it from the Spokane area.

Old 04-11-2021, 07:49 AM

561 posts, read 437,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaius Minimis View Post
Not sure what the deterrent affect is, but Idaho is a constitutional carry state. You never know who is carrying and who is not. And, a lot of people do. You won't see open carry very often, but there are a "ton" of people who carry concealed.
Good for you all. That should be a good deterrent for felonious crime. I didn’t think Spokane had bad crime overall, just your usual inner city crime like all larger cities have. Does it have a drug problem?

Slightly off topic:
Funny that people think Texas is all guns everywhere when we aren’t even as friendly to the 2A as at least a dozen others. Heck there are 9 states which includes ID that are constitutional carry while Texas isn’t.

Old 04-11-2021, 08:27 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,475,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaius Minimis View Post
Probably the same effect as every where around a big city transitioning to a rural area; just physical distance. Most criminals are not exactly 'industrious' individuals...LOL

Old 04-11-2021, 09:21 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,273,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
Good for you all. That should be a good deterrent for felonious crime. I didn’t think Spokane had bad crime overall, just your usual inner city crime like all larger cities have. Does it have a drug problem?

Slightly off topic:
Funny that people think Texas is all guns everywhere when we aren’t even as friendly to the 2A as at least a dozen others. Heck there are 9 states which includes ID that are constitutional carry while Texas isn’t.
Actually, come July 1st there will be 19 states. Texas might very well become number 20 this year.

Old 04-11-2021, 12:31 PM

561 posts, read 437,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Actually, come July 1st there will be 19 states. Texas might very well become number 20 this year.
I hope so. Who’s the 19th?

Old 04-11-2021, 03:09 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I don't think Spokane is particularly dangerous if you stick to the better parts of town. Spokane has typical crime commensurate with their population size, their legalized drugs, their generous welfare, and their progressive tolerance for crime and protesters.

Yes, criminals have cars and they sometimes drive into North Idaho. But it is a lot easier to be a criminal in Spokane, so they mostly stay there.

The really big difference is not distance. It is that the citizens here tend to be armed, there is little cultural tolerance for crime, and the locals support and like their police force.

Old 04-12-2021, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
I hope so. Who’s the 19th?
Actually I discovered last night there are 20!! I will look for the link and DM you.

Old 04-12-2021, 08:18 AM

7,382 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Actually I discovered last night there are 20!! I will look for the link and DM you.
Please share the link with all of us!

Old 04-12-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Please share the link with all of us!
https://www.nraila.org/articles/2021...0government%2D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho