Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2006, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 8,813 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to Pocatello in a few weeks. I drive a rear wheel drive pickup, and am considering buying a 4 wheel drive SUV instead. Is this necessary if I get a good set of tires and some sandbags to weigh down the rear tires?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2006, 09:56 AM

246 posts, read 329,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaTX
My family is moving to Pocatello in a few weeks. I drive a rear wheel drive pickup, and am considering buying a 4 wheel drive SUV instead. Is this necessary if I get a good set of tires and some sandbags to weigh down the rear tires?
That'll only get you started. You'll also need flares, a winch, at least 3 Jerry cans of water, and a week's worth of MREs. It takes at least that to survive in Pocatello's treacherous asphalt terrain.

Magpies

Old 07-05-2006, 01:48 PM

273 posts, read 1,649,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpiesMagpiesMagpies
That'll only get you started. You'll also need flares, a winch, at least 3 Jerry cans of water, and a week's worth of MREs. It takes at least that to survive in Pocatello's treacherous asphalt terrain.

Magpies
ROFL! Do I detect a bit of sarcasm?

Old 07-05-2006, 01:53 PM

149 posts, read 1,097,984 times
I hope you can hear the sarcasm in Magpies' voice...

Actually, you could just put sandbags in the bed of your pickup if you wanted. Roads in Idaho can be a little icy or slushy during the winter, but unless you're going to be taking treks into the mountains, nobody really "needs" a 4WD SUV. The best handling car I've ever driven in the snow was my FWD 1997 Toyota Camry with studless snow tires -- and even that is overkill 95% of the time. All you really need to do is... slow down, take it easy, don't hurry, and watch out for crazies that think a 4WD stops faster on the ice than a 2WD does.

Old 07-05-2006, 03:02 PM

22 posts, read 76,030 times
Default Crazy winter drivers

2WD will be fine the overwhelming majority of the time, EVEN in Pocatello (note my sarcasm). Pocky is a little hilly and you may find yourself slipping and slidding a bit. Watch out for the 4WD drivers who think they are invincible. They are usually the one's who end up in the ditch. 4WD does nothing for you on ice, except to give you a false sense of security.

Old 07-06-2006, 02:14 PM

278 posts, read 1,138,542 times
Found I like the 4 x 4 better after having a 2 x 4 pickup. Used to add 750 lbs of sand to the truck and still slid all over the place. Found out it was the tires they were long wearing and so hard rubber in them. When I changed them out for a softer rubber with lower mile warranty then it was fine. Grow up driving in snow and some places living in the stuff. also a front wheel drive is great just do not stop right at the start of any speed bumps ( ask the ex why LOL) when and if you want to head out some then opt for the 4 x 4 to get to the mountains and or any long distance driveling as some states do not aloe studded tires like Idaho and I hate putting on chains just slow down and drive with in the weather limits not the thinking some have that a 4 x 4 you can drive as fast as any thing wet or dry as a 4 x 4 only helps you move forward but dose nothing to help you stop for all reasonable proposes I also found that having winter tires and reg tires were great just a hassle changing them but then again I am the kind that would rather have and not need then not have and need as the roads as was said can become icy in the winter that’s why some times you here of over 100 cars have slid off the roads around the Boise area. They have the mildest winter for the state also. to the point the city busses do not change tires for winter or summered but let me tell you we have had them slid off the road also or get stuck in a gutter . And almost all the drivers wished they used better tires in the winter. So when it comes down to it, it is more the tires then where and what wheels drive it is. Same with driving slow is better then fast and hoping you hold the road
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho