Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 01:49 AM

171 posts, read 880,269 times

Advertisements

Hi there my City Data friends!!! I posted in an earlier thread, but here’s an update.
I cannot thank you all enough for your input!! We are so excited and will be leaving on our trip soon. We love the outdoors, water, trails, fun family things, entertaining or quirky even. Some of you mentioned places to eat, stay etc. and we truly would love to know of things to do…. Things out of the ordinary,since we have a mall here at home and bowling and theaters etc., we are looking forward to seeing what your state and cities have that make them unique. Some of you mentioned canoeing, tube rides in the river, horsebackriding, train rides and Alpine slides etc. (Everyone in my family is so excited about those ideas). We really need to know where and when are the best to do these? So we can call ahead and work around our schedule, dogs, kids, etc. What other adventures and ideas do you have for us?
We have had a few changes in our route and planning. We also have added a puppy to the mix, just because we didn’t have enough going on. LOL!! Therefore, we will be bringing our travel trailer with us and have booked reservations near the following cities. So it will be two adults, three kids and two dogs.
We’d love your input on where to stop and what to see on the way and what to do when we get there!! Also dog considerations too….Any lakes to take the dogs to? Which lakes are dog friendly and can walk on shore, maybe swim?
Here are our planned stops:
Southern California to Mesquite, NV. (Just an overnighter here)
Mesquite, NV to Salt Lake City. (We would like to see some of Park City too while there, ideas?). Is there a good view of the Lake without going to Antelope Island? Just a thought to keep down the extra driving and give us time to get to Park City. Heard about a train ride to Provo and back, how’s that? Trains elsewhere?
Salt Lake City to Jackson Lake, WY (South of Yellowstone, East of Grand Tetons, North of Jackson) We’d like to see all three of these areas and that’s why we will stay in the middle. We’d like to know what you have us See and Do and explore in all three areas here.) We know there are some things we cannot do because of our dogs, but I heard there might be a few places we could do? Which ones? What time of day is best? How do we find them? Someone mentioned Lower Loop in Yellowstone, which road is that? What to see in Grand Tetons, so excite, which way do we go? Heard wonderful things about Jackson hole, please tell me your favorites to do.
Next from Jackson Lake, WY to Twin Falls, ID (passing Idaho falls and Pocatello on the way. What to stop and see). Thinking of time at the falls? Other falls? Time in Boise? Should we see Lake Lowell while there? Time in Sawtooth? What to do in those places? What’s the best route, most scenic, best drive, etc?
Long drive from Twin Falls, ID to South Lake Tahoe, CA (we ran out of time and sadly must do Oregon next trip) Our drive will take us through North Nevada. Any good stops on the way? What to do in Tahoe when we get there…did I mention we eloped there, almost twenty years ago? And we will be traveling over our 20th wedding anniversary. LOL. So I’d love ideas for Tahoe, things to explore and do. As it’s a special spot for us, but we never did get to explore it the first time around.
From South Lake Tahoe, CA to Yosemite, CA (Any RVers out there? Would you take 89 to 4 to Big Oak flat? Or would you take 50 to 49 and then down?) Okay, so say we get there…here’s hoping! What to do and see in Yosemite? As with Yellowstone, we know we are have with trail usage problems because of our dogs, but I heard there might be a few we could do? Which ones? What time of day is best? How do we find them?
From Yosemite, CA we head home to Southern California. And pass out! LOL….
I want to thank all of you for helping us decide which way to head to get the most out of this trip (and even giving us ideas for our next trip, did I just say that?) Please if you can take a minute to tell me about your favorites in our route it would help us a great deal since our timeline is tight and we are trying to see and do as much fun, local things as possible.
Kindest regards, Kaligirl and family!
PS We leave this Sunday, July 19th, post quickly…… THANKS AGAIN!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 03:39 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,450,639 times
Lightbulb Please Review Some of the Other Idaho Forums: West Nile Virus, Swine Flu so you can prepare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaligirl View Post
Hi there my City Data friends!!! I posted in an earlier thread, but here’s an update.
I cannot thank you all enough for your input!! We are so excited and will be leaving on our trip soon. We love the outdoors, water, trails, fun family things, entertaining or quirky even. Some of you mentioned places to eat, stay etc. and we truly would love to know of things to do…. Things out of the ordinary,since we have a mall here at home and bowling and theaters etc., we are looking forward to seeing what your state and cities have that make them unique. Some of you mentioned canoeing, tube rides in the river, horsebackriding, train rides and Alpine slides etc. (Everyone in my family is so excited about those ideas). We really need to know where and when are the best to do these? So we can call ahead and work around our schedule, dogs, kids, etc. What other adventures and ideas do you have for us?
We have had a few changes in our route and planning. We also have added a puppy to the mix, just because we didn’t have enough going on. LOL!! Therefore, we will be bringing our travel trailer with us and have booked reservations near the following cities. So it will be two adults, three kids and two dogs.
We’d love your input on where to stop and what to see on the way and what to do when we get there!! Also dog considerations too….Any lakes to take the dogs to? Which lakes are dog friendly and can walk on shore, maybe swim?
Here are our planned stops:
Southern California to Mesquite, NV. (Just an overnighter here)
Mesquite, NV to Salt Lake City. (We would like to see some of Park City too while there, ideas?). Is there a good view of the Lake without going to Antelope Island? Just a thought to keep down the extra driving and give us time to get to Park City. Heard about a train ride to Provo and back, how’s that? Trains elsewhere?
Salt Lake City to Jackson Lake, WY (South of Yellowstone, East of Grand Tetons, North of Jackson) We’d like to see all three of these areas and that’s why we will stay in the middle. We’d like to know what you have us See and Do and explore in all three areas here.) We know there are some things we cannot do because of our dogs, but I heard there might be a few places we could do? Which ones? What time of day is best? How do we find them? Someone mentioned Lower Loop in Yellowstone, which road is that? What to see in Grand Tetons, so excite, which way do we go? Heard wonderful things about Jackson hole, please tell me your favorites to do.
Next from Jackson Lake, WY to Twin Falls, ID (passing Idaho falls and Pocatello on the way. What to stop and see). Thinking of time at the falls? Other falls? Time in Boise? Should we see Lake Lowell while there? Time in Sawtooth? What to do in those places? What’s the best route, most scenic, best drive, etc?
Long drive from Twin Falls, ID to South Lake Tahoe, CA (we ran out of time and sadly must do Oregon next trip) Our drive will take us through North Nevada. Any good stops on the way? What to do in Tahoe when we get there…did I mention we eloped there, almost twenty years ago? And we will be traveling over our 20th wedding anniversary. LOL. So I’d love ideas for Tahoe, things to explore and do. As it’s a special spot for us, but we never did get to explore it the first time around.
From South Lake Tahoe, CA to Yosemite, CA (Any RVers out there? Would you take 89 to 4 to Big Oak flat? Or would you take 50 to 49 and then down?) Okay, so say we get there…here’s hoping! What to do and see in Yosemite? As with Yellowstone, we know we are have with trail usage problems because of our dogs, but I heard there might be a few we could do? Which ones? What time of day is best? How do we find them?
From Yosemite, CA we head home to Southern California. And pass out! LOL….
I want to thank all of you for helping us decide which way to head to get the most out of this trip (and even giving us ideas for our next trip, did I just say that?) Please if you can take a minute to tell me about your favorites in our route it would help us a great deal since our timeline is tight and we are trying to see and do as much fun, local things as possible.
Kindest regards, Kaligirl and family!
PS We leave this Sunday, July 19th, post quickly…… THANKS AGAIN!!

Kaligirl,

I apologize for not knowing or taking the time right now to find your other post. However, I did want to comment about three things. First, I don't know your timeframe, but that is a very, very ambitious schedule. Jackson Hole to Twin Falls in how much time? Others may know, so I'll just say I feel clueless to advise what to see, except Mesa Falls, as I don't know how much time your allocating for each segment of your trip.

Secondly, when you say, "dogs," it sounds like you know they can't go everywhere. Do you have lodging that allows dogs, or maybe you're doing this in an RV or something? Just make sure you have their immunization papers and any medicines updated. Emergency 24/7 veterinarian facilities are available in Salt Lake City and Idaho Falls. I don't quite get how you're going to work Boise into this trip, if you're staying 110 miles away in Twin Falls. Anyway, Boise has 24/7 emergency car for animals too. But, many people want to board or seek care when visiting many of the places you mentioned and don't bring documentation to board or even prove their pets have had vaccinations.

Finally, while cleosmom has been on my case for about a month now, I still haven't done this for CDF at large. Consider this a personal favor. Take some time and read the "Swine Flu and ID," pages - at least the last 5-8. If you're staying in Salt Lake City, which many people do, you need to know you are entering what the CDC has considered an mini-epicenter of A/H1N1. UT has experienced more deaths/capita from A/H1N1 than any other state.

That isn't to scare you from traveling, it is to ask you to please read and be informed. Take precautions and lots of tissues, hand sanitizer and other things the CDC recommends. Also, don't delay seeking medical help if you or someone in your family needs it. While the cases so far seem fairly mild-moderate, eastern-southeastern ID is seeing an increase in A/H1N1 cases.
WY and MT also have a fair amount of new cases.

You may want to talk to your doctors prior to when you leave and ask for appropriate prescriptions or advice of OTC medications to take with you on your trip.

There is also a thread on this forum about West Nile Virus. PLEASE READ it.

In no way am I trying to discourage you from traveling; rather, I'm trying to encourage you to be a wise traveler and travel prepared to not get infected from others.

As for Park City, hmmm. Some will say the wealthy kids going to Mexico for Spring Break this year is what put UT on the fast track to CDC history for Swine Flu. It really depends on what you want to see. There are areas used in the Olympics, or the brand new Olympic training facility that just opened for U.S. athletes. Lots of art galleries and places made famous by Robert Redford's annual Sundance Film Festival.

Again, not knowing your timeframe, Park City looks close on a map, but depending on when you arrive in Salt Lake City and where you stay, it can take a chunk of time driving up and back Parley's Canyon to Park City, depending on traffic and/or road construction. I think some areas have 3 lanes of traffic both ways. I think there is a link for Park City (or Summit County) link with it: ksl.com - Utah News, Sports, Weather and Classifieds. Just look at the road cams. And by all means, look up Park City online to see what you think looks interesting.

Like you said, you've got malls there. So the outlet mall in Park City will seem disappointing when you see it. There is a whole lot more to Park City, but many haven't allowed for the extra time to drive to different resorts or areas to view. Park City is spread out. Stein Erickson's lodge isn't exactly the first thing one sees when exiting by the outlet mall.

That's about all I can offer for now. Others will have a lot of ideas. Please be safe in your travels and enjoy your time.

MSR

Old 07-13-2009, 04:18 AM

Cool Links for some Cams and Heber Creeper

I tried to edit a couple of things and add links, but got "time out."

The train is in Heber, not Park City. Affectionally called the Heber Creeper. Here is the link for the 90 minute or 3 hr. train rides. They can be a lot of fun. Heber Valley Railroad

But, please plan on what you're going to do with the dogs while you're on the train as I don't believe they can go. It will be around 100 in Salt Lake City during the time your there (as predicted so far), so it will be 15-20 degrees cooler in Heber. But, is that cool enough to leave your dogs that long in your car/camp trailer? Or if you are planning to board them in SLC or Park City, I'd make sure I had those reservations ASAP!

Also, here is a traffic cam showing you some of Park City, You can change it at the top to go north from Salt Lake City through Ogden etc. Let's you get a view for Antelope Island (I wouldn't worry about seeing that this trip).
Anyway, I hope these links are helpful: ksl.com - Traffic Cameras

Good luck, drive carefully, stay healthy and have fun.

MSR

Old 07-13-2009, 07:17 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,280,455 times
If you have time while "passing through" Idaho Falls, our museum is currently hosting the Titanic display.

I wish I was going to be in touch with clients frequent the park to give you an idea on where the dogs are not allowed. If I come across any in the next few days, I'll probe for info. As far as any daycare of boarding up towards Jackson, I'm unsure as we have clients from there who bring their pets to Idaho Falls to board while on travel.

You will need to stop in Swan Valley for the infamous square ice cream

For your dog's health I would suggest serving them bottled water while on this journey, an intestinal upset is no fun for them or you.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:04 AM

Question Would Boarding in CA Be an Option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
If you have time while "passing through" Idaho Falls, our museum is currently hosting the Titanic display.

I wish I was going to be in touch with clients frequent the park to give you an idea on where the dogs are not allowed. If I come across any in the next few days, I'll probe for info. As far as any daycare of boarding up towards Jackson, I'm unsure as we have clients from there who bring their pets to Idaho Falls to board while on travel.

You will need to stop in Swan Valley for the infamous square ice cream

For your dog's health I would suggest serving them bottled water while on this journey, an intestinal upset is no fun for them or you.
The bottled water is a good suggestion, cleosmom. I'm glad you posted here as I thought if anyone would know certain things about pets, it would be you.

I know you and I have touched bases about this before, but per chance I've totally forgotten, what all do clients need to do to reserve space for their pets? Don't they need the certificates of vaccination and records/RXs about any medications? I know getting boarding space is very, very difficult this time of year.

I have NO PROBLEM believing people bring their pets to your facility in Idaho Falls while they travel. There really isn't another facility like it, in eastern ID, western WY of which I'm aware. Please update me if I'm wrong.

What I also thought about later, is it could certainly take a lot of time finding "the right trails," where dogs can walk. This trip seems to have so much packed in it so tightly, I'm wondering if there is any merit in KaliGirl checking with her DVM about boarding her pets at home? I realize that is a personal choice and heaven knows, I take mine everywhere I can. But, I also board her with vet techs and DVMs who have done her surgeries, when going to an unknown area for me. It's safer for my pet and I feel little more relaxed to not have to worry about additional needs she might have while elsewhere.

I'm sure KaliGril will find the right answers for her traveling crew. I'm just concerned with such late notice and ambitious schedule how the humans can do everything mentioned, let alone the canines who have to stay behind at certain places. This is not the coolest time to be in NV or UT.

MSR.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:44 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,280,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post

I know you and I have touched bases about this before, but per chance I've totally forgotten, what all do clients need to do to reserve space for their pets? Don't they need the certificates of vaccination and records/RXs about any medications? I know getting boarding space is very, very difficult this time of year.

I have NO PROBLEM believing people bring their pets to your facility in Idaho Falls while they travel. There really isn't another facility like it, in eastern ID, western WY of which I'm aware. Please update me if I'm wrong.
elsewhere.MSR.
Our requirements, which are pretty much the standard at any boarding facility is that the dogs are vaccinated by a licensed veterinarian for the Distemper/Parvo combo (usually a four or five way vaccine), Rabies and Bordetella for "kennel cough" which clinically is called Tracheobronchitis. We highly suggest speaking to your veterinarian about using a flea/tick preventive for your cat or dog. We're a melting pot getting folks and their pets from all across the USA and Europe. For cats, we require proof from a licensed veterinarian that they are current on the Feline Distemper combo and Rabies. While we don't require the Feline Luekemia vaccine, we did highly suggest it. If the pet's vaccines have expired (DHLPp FLV etc) than a Titers proof will be required and accepted. Rabies must be current according to the law and if I'm correct there are no Titers for "kennel cough".

At this time we are the only modern boarding facility in our neck of the woods. While we don't have a veterinarian on staff, we do work closely with all area vets and our staff participates in health and safety courses every year.

You are correct when stating that this time of year finds us quite busy! It's fun meeting pets and their people from all over. Just last week I got to spend some quality time with a Golden Retriever pup that came from the same area of CA that I did Her people were on a fishing expedition up to Heise and she got to stay with us; playing, swimming and meeting new friends.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:00 PM

17 posts, read 57,279 times
Hi,
Our family just got back on Friday from our 2 wk. travel through some of these areas. We were in a RV for our travels. We drove from SO. Cal to Cedar City, UT. We went hiking in Kanarraville for our one day layover there. Beautiful trail mostly through water and water falls and easy enough for our three kids (youngest 4 yrs. old). We left from there through Jackson Hole and the Tetons to the S. gate of Yellowstone. There is a lot of driving through those 3 areas! There is so much to see. We rented a small boat and went onto Jackson Lake on one day, and did the lower loop of Yellowstone the next (saw Old Faithful and The Falls and lots of Bison!) From there our journey went to Montana, No. ID and then down to Twin Falls. While in Twin Falls we saw the large waterfalls there which was amazing, there is also a park there where the kids can swim in the lake. On our way home we stopped in Mesquite, NV because my husband was curious about it the first time we passed it. For us in the RV the town was dead, we had an old RV travelers book and when we tried to find an RV park they had all been closed down, so we slept in a parking lot!!! Coming from CA and just seeing something different and all of the water up there whatever you do it will be fun. That part of the country is just beautiful! Oh yeah, definately do the white water rafting its a blast!!! Hope this helps and have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho