Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2007, 04:45 PM

9 posts, read 35,882 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of relocating to Idaho. We miss the snow, hate the humidity in the South, but love the friendliness. He has a job opportunity which will have him all over the panhandle from Orofino and Lewiston up to Coeur d' Alene and Sandpoint. But much of his work can also be done at home when not meeting with clients. We looked at Orofino and really like it there and the rent prices are reasonable, but can't afford to buy anything there and so is the case with St. Maries. But south of St. Maries the prices seem more reasonable. And would probably keep us centrally located for his work. We have checked out Emida and Fernwood. Can anyone give me a feel for the people of that area? Locals have told us Coeur d' Alene and Sandpoint are losing their friendliness. What we are looking for is a quiet, friendly, little town, and a secluded place with 5+ acres to call our own. We have 3 children, but homeschool, so I am not all that concerned about schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 10:17 PM

5 posts, read 22,363 times
I can't believe I am going to tell you this! Deary, Potlatch, or Genesee are three small towns that are centrally located for your husband and of these three, Potlatch will probably be the cheepest to buy. Genesee is Probably the most centrally located if he goes to Orofino alot. If these do not work, try Kendrick or Juliaetta. Hope this helps you since I have been trying to save enough to move back to that area now for over 7 years and have just lowered my chances. Not bitter or anything..

Old 05-07-2007, 11:47 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,848,884 times
We hear some people in this area complain that it's become less friendly, but what's weird is that most of the neighborhoods are really friendly, but if you hit the suburban areas it seems less so. I think people who move from suburbs from other states to suburbs here bring their insular mindset. You know....I live close to you, so we put up a wall and feign having privacy from each other.

Everyone around here has land. I think the smallest you can subdivide to in Bonner County without special permitting is 5 acres, and I seem to recall a push to raise that higher. With 5-20 acres per lot, we actually reach OUT to our neighbors for a sense of community support. Our whole area can't have more than about 15 houses across about 250-300 acres....so you really get to know your neighbors who are friendly and you learn to keep a polite distance from those who aren't.

Personally I think any area you move is what you make it, but the more you can avoid the subdivided suburban communities, the more friendly it gets IMHO.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:05 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,190,879 times
I would have to agree with Thunderbuggy on checking out Genesse and Potlatch. There's also Viola and Troy, which are just minutes from Moscow. We were up around St. Maries and happened to stop and talk to a local not sure if he was trying to discourage us, but after our talk and driving around I don't thinks there's much for kids to do and he told us the drug problem in the surrounding areas were PRETTY BAD. He actually seemed to know what he was talking about and we spent about an hour and a half with the man.

We are looking around Moscow for I home school my son and with all the youth in that area I believe they will have more social exposure. One thing to keep in mind is some of these small towns are great for adults, but they have nothing to offer the youth. Coming from California 16 years ago I was a little culture shocked, but have since gotten use to ENJOYING the outdoors!!

Old 05-13-2007, 10:49 AM

11 posts, read 34,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threekidstoomany View Post
We have 3 children, but homeschool, so I am not all that concerned about schools.
Just a side note, but Idaho has very homeschool-friendly laws. It's very hassle-free to homeschool here and many people do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho