Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2010, 04:29 PM

5 posts, read 17,625 times

Advertisements

Hi there and thanks for taking the time to read this...

My fiance and I are considering a move from San Diego to Coeur D'Alene - we are soooo sick of the rat pack, ME! Me! me! lifestyle and the high cost of living, among other things. His family owns property (a ranch with a barn) in CDA and we are considering building on it. I've visited the area in October and my fiance has been there many times, as his folks have lived there for 20 years. Both of our families have property in SoCal, so we think we may do the snow-bird thing and live in a trailer in SoCal during the winter months - or travel the world! Anywho, we are interested in moving and I'd love to get any tips, advice, feedback, warnings, etc about this possibility. We don't have any children, debt, are both laid off of work (but are planning on opening a business and working for ourselves). We're both young and adventurous and thinking this may be a nice change to a simpler, more beautiful and focused life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 10:59 PM

13 posts, read 30,301 times
Hi punkyjojo, My boyfriend and I are both here in San Diego as well and have decided to move to Boise this summer. I agree with you, this place is to expensive and crowded. We cant get ahead here at all. I have a friend who lived here in S.D and she moved to CDA with her man 2 years ago. She loves it, all though she said its very conservative up in that part of Idaho. She said some people are still racist in that area. I dont know. Coming from SD I wouldn't like that. I have all kinds of friends

I guess with any part of Idaho is better than this expensive and crowded place. Good luck!!

Old 01-28-2010, 12:41 AM

526 posts, read 1,755,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirra1234 View Post
Hi punkyjojo, My boyfriend and I are both here in San Diego as well and have decided to move to Boise this summer. I agree with you, this place is to expensive and crowded. We cant get ahead here at all. I have a friend who lived here in S.D and she moved to CDA with her man 2 years ago. She loves it, all though she said its very conservative up in that part of Idaho. She said some people are still racist in that area. I dont know. Coming from SD I wouldn't like that. I have all kinds of friends

I guess with any part of Idaho is better than this expensive and crowded place. Good luck!!
Try Washington if you want more "diversity".

Old 01-28-2010, 08:19 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,425,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkyjojo View Post
Both of our families have property in SoCal, so we think we may do the snow-bird thing and live in a trailer in SoCal during the winter months - or travel the world! Anywho, we are interested in moving and I'd love to get any tips, advice, feedback, warnings, etc about this possibility. We don't have any children, debt, are both laid off of work (but are planning on opening a business and working for ourselves). We're both young and adventurous and thinking this may be a nice change to a simpler, more beautiful and focused life.
To be honest, it doesn't seem like you have much of a plan at all. Neither one of you is employed and you plan on moving 1,450 miles, opening some type of business and working for yourselves. Do you have a specific business in mind, funds to get it started, experience or expertise in a specific field, etc?

Old 01-28-2010, 10:15 AM

My fiance is has a business that we believe would work seasonally in CDA and I have experience in it as well. We do have other sources of income, so while we are unemployed, we do have money coming in that would help us maintain while we settle and establish our lives. We also do have funds to invest.

Thanks for your honesty and concern. I know it's a risk to move, but in our minds, it seems like a viable and wise decision in order to get us closer to our future goals of being free to travel and live simply.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:27 AM

420 posts, read 1,193,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jja100 View Post
Try Washington if you want more "diversity".
I agree, Washington may provide the diversity and liberal atmosphere that you seem to desire.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:04 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,425,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkyjojo View Post
My fiance is has a business that we believe would work seasonally in CDA and I have experience in it as well. We do have other sources of income, so while we are unemployed, we do have money coming in that would help us maintain while we settle and establish our lives. We also do have funds to invest.

Thanks for your honesty and concern. I know it's a risk to move, but in our minds, it seems like a viable and wise decision in order to get us closer to our future goals of being free to travel and live simply.
In that case, go for it. You're young and have plenty of time to bounce back from any hiccups that you may encounter along the way. "What if..." is a horrible thought to have hanging over your head later in life.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:40 PM

820 posts, read 1,738,864 times
What kind of business does your wife want to start up here? Have you ever been up here before? It is quite a bit slower up here (I have some customers moving up from LA right now that are doing the same thing, ex-cops) It is a beautiful area, and most will enjoy it, you just want to know that people don't like new-comers trying to change the area. Other then that Wlelcome! and hope everything works out!

Old 01-28-2010, 05:50 PM

We sell custom motorcycles and would like to rent them (and possibly scooters) during the summer, along with providing tours. Yes, we know it's slower up there and that's something we are looking forward to. I'm also a print and radio journalist and figure I may look for some part-time work in that field. And thanks for the heads up on locals not wanting outsiders coming in and changing the area. We hope to immerse ourselves in the area and learn from and give back to the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho