Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2010, 05:56 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,838,848 times

Advertisements

Folks,

Lately we've had a plethora of threads about liberals and conservatives in Idaho. It's to the point that these threads are devolving into basically national political content that would generally need to be moved into the P&OC area.

I think we have ENOUGH perspective from Idahoans (and residents of our various areas) with regard to various areas' general political demographics.

If we keep getting more threads like this, I will generally be REMINDING FOLKS THAT WE HAVE A SEARCH FEATURE because that is apparently being missed by a lot of folks.

Idaho forum regulars...please help me keep our forum generally more clear for all the OTHER questions we have from potential newcomer by not spending your valuable time drafting long replies to politically oriented posts, since you will only be adding to my guilt complex as I delete these things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 06:15 PM

201 posts, read 470,042 times
You mods take your job way to serious. IMHO there isn't ENOUGH Political talk about Idaho specific. Way to many times outsiders come in here with badly misinformed political views of Idaho. Whats wrong with people being informed. But your a mod so whatever......

Old 02-07-2010, 07:10 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,838,848 times
oh2az2id,

You completely missed my point. Idaho-SPECIFIC political content is fine. But generic political commentary is not only off topic for the Idaho state forum but tends to have little constructive benefit.

And in general web forum etiquette, posting seriously redundant content without lurking and reading through other (older) content isn't generally acceptable.

We mods take our jobs too seriously, huh? Why should we even have sections then? Why not just let every corner of CDF be permeated by seriously ugly polarized political flame wars?

I respect your right to wish for one "say anything you want in any section you want" forum....but that's not CDF's mission...

Old 02-07-2010, 07:34 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Well, I second the recommendation.

I know I can easily be baited into political debates on the size of government, etc., as can apparently many on this forum. For instance the Measure 66&67 discussion seems to have devolved into general political debates about the size of government. I think the OP there was expecting to get some discussion about political or tax structure trends in the PNW, but I don't think that is what happened in most posts. I think these political topics are fun and valuable to debate, but if too many threads go down that track I think I agree that it tends to derail the service of providing good advice on all kinds of topics.

Of course, the P.J. O'Rourke quote in Sages signature block, though funny, is political. So, perhaps the pot calling the kettle black...?

Regardless, I agree that we should put the political debate on low beam.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:50 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,119 times
Wise move IMO. Lets stick to politics we can have an impact on.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:10 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,260 times
Just so long as this is even-handed.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:05 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,207 times
Thank you Sage. The Politics and Controversies forum can be great fun, but topics covered there don't belong here. They are polarizing and lead to a fair amount of counter-productive generalizing IMHO. I don't fit the "conservative Idaho" stereotype, nor for that matter do most of, if not all, of the folks I've met here. So I will keep flagging obnoxious political threads!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho