Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 02:00 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I suspect that estimate is LOW.
I think that that estimate would be pretty low if you throw in education and health care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 02:04 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So you could justify to yourself the condoning of a criminal act.
Could you try again to respond to my post, instead of a tired old rhetoric? Like... did you disagree with anything I said? What counter argument can you provide along the lines? I took a couple of lines from "the study" and discussed it. You should do the same, with my post. Try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Does it really matter? They've broken the law.
And we all know what to expect when you break the law. You don't need the "study" to know that.
This thread talks about "a study". I'm talking about the study, not them. Do you have anything to contribute along those lines?

Old 07-06-2010, 02:06 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,788,485 times
Who really knows the cost of illegal immigration? It may be the cost figured in the report, it may be more, or it may be less. Until one can pin down the number of illegal immigrants in this country then any costs figured up do not mean a dang thing. The OP posted a report that says absolutely nothing except "your guess is as good as mine."

So, say it slow...

How... many.... illegals... are.... there?

What a great example of lazy analysis, though. Thanks, at least, for that OP.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:10 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,951,676 times
I'm sure the costs are much more than 113 billion a year. 113 billion is a very conservative estimate.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:14 PM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
"The single largest cost to the government of illegal immigration, according to the report, is an estimated $52 billion spent on schooling the children of illegals. “Nearly all those costs are absorbed by state and local governments,’ the report states."

It is also the state and local governments, and local businesses that benefit most from illegal immigrants. Nearly half of US population (that will, undoubtedly include all illegal immigrants) don't pay federal income tax (or any tax at federal level for the matter). But they do pay sales and similar taxes that they can't avoid. Then there are business thriving by using illegal immigrants.

I would have liked to see the "study" cover these aspects as well.
Those are called "illegal businesses" and should fail. I'm not talking about McDonalds, I'm talking about the small shops in hoods that do a lot of business off of the books. The underground economy.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:19 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,750,800 times
Quote:
2.8 million jobs are taken by illegal immigrants.
2.8? Really? What are the other 12 million plus doing for money?

But they only come here to work!

Old 07-06-2010, 05:39 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
2.8? Really? What are the other 12 million plus doing for money?

But they only come here to work!
That’s an excellent question, especially since it was last reported that at least 8 million illegals are working in this country. If now it’s only 2.8 million, and we all know that 5.2 million haven’t left, are we now supporting them as well as the remainder of the 12-20+ million? No wonder this country is in such a mess.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:41 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,902,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain oblivious View Post
i find this quite hard to believe.
You certainly live up to your name.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:44 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
I keep sayin it would be so much cheaper to hire bounty hunters to round them up for 100 bucks per illegal caught.

100 x 30,000,000 = 3,000,000,000 (a fraction of what it costs per year to keep them here).

Old 07-06-2010, 07:55 PM

364 posts, read 244,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
"The single largest cost to the government of illegal immigration, according to the report, is an estimated $52 billion spent on schooling the children of illegals. “Nearly all those costs are absorbed by state and local governments,’ the report states."

It is also the state and local governments, and local businesses that benefit most from illegal immigrants. Nearly half of US population (that will, undoubtedly include all illegal immigrants) don't pay federal income tax (or any tax at federal level for the matter). But they do pay sales and similar taxes that they can't avoid. Then there are business thriving by using illegal immigrants.

I would have liked to see the "study" cover these aspects as well.
kick tha anchor babys out of tha usa
tha 14th ammendment need to be changd
to scratch em out
nothin but leechs
an there ilegal alien moms an dads
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration