Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 10:09 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I couldn't rep you again but I have said this from the getgo....the international language of business is English, so........why are we being forced to learn Spanish....?
I am not opposed to learning a second language but I don't appreciate being told I have to learn it and they don't. "They" are "my" country illegally.
Who is forcing you to learn spanish?

Old 01-17-2011, 06:44 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Who is forcing you to learn spanish?
It started at least a decade or so ago that many employers are requiring that a hiree has to be bi-lingual in order to apply for a job. That is forcing one to learn Spanish to stay competitive in the job market. It is many industries and good paying government jobs catering to illegal alien Spanish speakers at an English speaking American worker's expense. Most Hispanic Americans know how to speak English so it isn't them they are pandering to. Our language is English here. No way should we be required under normal circumstances to have to speak Spanish to get a job in our own country to pander to illegal alien Spanish speakers.

If millions of Chinese were to invade Mexico illegally would you be ok with Mexicans being denied jobs in their own country unless they spoke Mandarin, etc.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:49 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
Even though there aren't many hispanic illegals where I am (yet), I've recently started to see job ads requiring spanish. I didn't migrate to the USA only to have to learn Spanish to get a job.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:09 PM

683 posts, read 1,469,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Next thing you know Obama will be on TV giving a national address in English and in Spanish.
That'd be nice.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:14 PM

683 posts, read 1,469,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Even though there aren't many hispanic illegals where I am (yet), I've recently started to see job ads requiring spanish. I didn't migrate to the USA only to have to learn Spanish to get a job.
Go back to Australia. Brisbane needs you.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:53 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
That'd be nice.
Why?

Old 01-17-2011, 09:00 PM

838 posts, read 922,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Once again, who is Obama working for?
Obviously not for this country. He seems more with pleasing foreigners than citizens of this country.

why should Americans change for illegals?
We speak English so why can't they?

The next Presidential election can't come soon enough

See more here

In a recent New York Times article, Nicholas Kristof criticized U.S. citizens for not speaking a foreign language and suggested that “Every child in the United States should learn Spanish.” He concluded that as the United States increasingly integrates economically with Latin America, Spanish will be crucial for the United States.

Smoke screens and brainwashing. Why should we even have illegals here. Both parties are constantly trying to distract Americans from the real issue which is illegal immigration. No matter what language anyone speaks it's the massive numbers of illegal migrants that will continue to destroy our country. Leaders stick to us every word, exuse and buzz phrase they can think of to bring us to accept illegal immigrants. They think "Oh if we keep repeating that Americans should learn Spanish and illegals should learn English then the the public will come to accept millions upon millions of illegal immigrants who once legal, will send for their many relatives for chain migration."

Old 01-18-2011, 03:31 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
A little dose of reality, here. As I see in my own work over the last 20 or so years, many LEGAL residents of this country who are Hispanic do not speak/read/understand English well. There are many reasons for that, which would be way off topic here, but to assume that every Hispanic person here who needs to be understood in Spanish is here illegally is, simply, wrong.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:44 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
A little dose of reality, here. As I see in my own work over the last 20 or so years, many LEGAL residents of this country who are Hispanic do not speak/read/understand English well. There are many reasons for that, which would be way off topic here, but to assume that every Hispanic person here who needs to be understood in Spanish is here illegally is, simply, wrong.
This may be true. However, wouldn’t it be more beneficial to encourage the LEGAL immigrants to learn English, just as millions of other previous immigrants, rather than expecting (or requiring) citizens to learn their language? If I decided to permanently relocate to a foreign land, I would not expect to be accommodated by the host country. After all, it would have been my decision to move to a non-English-speaking country. My decision to become a permanent member of that society would also have included a decision to learn the language.

According to recent data reported by Pew Hispanic, for the first time in our history, we now have more illegal immigration than legal. Given this unprecedented phenomenon, I think it goes without saying our increase in Spanish-speaking “immigrants” is due, if not primarily, at least substantially, to massive illegal immigration from Spanish-speaking countries. Why should we accommodate any person who does not have enough respect for our country to comply with our laws; or, if here legally, does not have enough desire to assimilate?

Old 01-18-2011, 05:45 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,491,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
That'd be nice.
No need. This is the USA where English is our language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration