Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 12:13 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Yes, just become some people don't choose to take care of their country doesn't mean the American people must do the same. What happens when the very large influx of impoversished people bring about the same conditions they just fled? To where do we run?

Old 03-26-2011, 12:32 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,491,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabronie View Post
If you think that cartels are going to feel threatened by some gringo in suburbia you're rather delusional; Armed or not.
One gringo no. MANY gringos including some Latinos, yes. The cartels KNOW they are playing with fire here in the USA and dont want to get burnt.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:37 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,183,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Clearly, our government will not adequately address this issue, so what would you suggest? Should citizens simply fold like they do in Mexico, and allow the cartels and other Mexican bandits to rule this country? Should we just throw in the towel and surrender?

This is not an isolated incident, and if not for the complaints from citizens, this illegal would still be in his house armed with an AK-47, and God knows what else. I guess we should wait until even more illegals arm themselves and pose a threat to our citizens. After all, we certainly wouldn’t want to be accused of racial-profiling or discrimination. Let’s just leave them alone, and wait until they actually maim or kill. Most likely, nothing will be done to this guy. He may already be home watching TV.
You're missing my point. The cartels are not going to give two sh*ts how many desperate people they hand a gun to and push across the border that get waxed; The drug cartels have an endless supply of money and expendable people. The poor desperate people that have become the target from both sides of the fence are the ones suffering the most. To think that shooting some guy stuck in the middle is going to ward off some of the hardest core criminals in the world is laughable; Especially as a means to a solution. Get real.

The real problem lays in the fact we have a neighbor that is in an abysmal situation of corruption, poverty and suppression. We offer less of that, and do very little to actually help our neighbor out of their situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
One gringo no. MANY gringos including some Latinos, yes. The cartels KNOW they are playing with fire here in the USA and dont want to get burnt.
Pretty much applies to this too. They don't care, nor feel threatened on any level; Endless supply of lackeys to enforce their will. Your focused on the wrong group of people.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:19 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
You're missing my point. The cartels are not going to give two sh*ts how many desperate people they hand a gun to and push across the border that get waxed; The drug cartels have an endless supply of money and expendable people. The poor desperate people that have become the target from both sides of the fence are the ones suffering the most. To think that shooting some guy stuck in the middle is going to ward off some of the hardest core criminals in the world is laughable; Especially as a means to a solution. Get real.

The real problem lays in the fact we have a neighbor that is in an abysmal situation of corruption, poverty and suppression. We offer less of that, and do very little to actually help our neighbor out of their situation.
In other words, we should continue with the status quo? I am well aware of the power and influence of the Mexican drug cartels. However, if we continue along this path, we will ultimately become a replica of Mexico. However, unlike Mexico, there is no country for our citizens to flee to for refuge.

Help our neighbors? What more can we do for Mexico? We are already providing their #2 source of revenue via remittances from their illegal citizens. In addition, over 10% of their citizens are living here, availing themselves of ALL of our benefits and services. Do we need to support their entire country? Please. Now you get real.

Obviously, the citizens of Mexico lack the courage to fight to improve their lot. But, they can’t continue to rely on the U.S. as their safety valve. We have our own poor citizens, and our own battles to fight, and illegal immigration is only exacerbating our problems. Charity begins at home.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
In other words, we should continue with the status quo? I am well aware of the power and influence of the Mexican drug cartels. However, if we continue along this path, we will ultimately become a replica of Mexico. However, unlike Mexico, there is no country for our citizens to flee to for refuge.

Help our neighbors? What more can we do for Mexico? We are already providing their #2 source of revenue via remittances from their illegal citizens. In addition, over 10% of their citizens are living here, availing themselves of ALL of our benefits and services. Do we need to support their entire country? Please. Now you get real.

Obviously, the citizens of Mexico lack the courage to fight to improve their lot. But, they can’t continue to rely on the U.S. as their safety valve. We have our own poor citizens, and our own battles to fight, and illegal immigration is only exacerbating our problems. Charity begins at home.
I don't really know what the solution is, nor did I say what we are doing now is working, or the right thing to do. But I do believe waxing some poor sap with few options before him, is not the solution, yes?

I did not say support, I said to help them out of their situation. There is a difference. Like you pointed out, what is going on now, is supporting the situation. We need to do things, that change the situation, not exacerbate it. Again, shooting some desperate man is not the solution.

Your last paragraph is just disgusting, stop looking down your nose on others; Lack of courage? I'm sure you've faced the same blight as a person born into poverty in Mexico.

Too bad Mexico does not any natural resources we want, 'cause then we could just go help their people be "free" via force for 'their' interests like we do with countries on the other half of the planet that we don't even share borders with.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I don't really know what the solution is, nor did I say what we are doing now is working, or the right thing to do. But I do believe waxing some poor sap with few options before him, is not the solution, yes?

I did not say support, I said to help them out of their situation. There is a difference. Like you pointed out, what is going on now, is supporting the situation. We need to do things, that change the situation, not exacerbate it. Again, shooting some desperate man is not the solution.

Your last paragraph is just disgusting, stop looking down your nose on others; Lack of courage? I'm sure you've faced the same blight as a person born into poverty in Mexico.

Too bad Mexico does not any natural resources we want, 'cause then we could just go help their people be "free" via force for 'their' interests like we do with countries on the other half of the planet that we don't even share borders with.
Mexico is a sovereign nation, and must begin to help itself. We have no obligation to provide solutions. Nor is it our obligation to allow their citizens to flee to the U.S. to seek a better life. And, yes, it does require courage to exact change. I am not sure why you find the concept disgusting.

For your information, I don’t “look down my nose” on anyone. However, I believe we should help those who at least attempt to help themselves. I don’t endorse simply being enablers for people who refuse to fight to improve their country. In fact, if not for the “courage” of our citizens, we would not be the great USA.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:53 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:

We get most of our oil from Mexico. Does that qualify?

Old 03-26-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I doubt it. Some people believe unless we fight the drug cartels, overthrow their corrupt government, relocate all of our businesses, replace their infrastructure, and build new homes for all of their underclass, we just aren’t doing enough to “help” the poor citizens of Mexico.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Mexico is a sovereign nation, and must begin to help itself. We have no obligation to provide solutions. Nor is it our obligation to allow their citizens to flee to the U.S. to seek a better life. And, yes, it does require courage to exact change. I am not sure why you find the concept disgusting.

For your information, I don’t “look down my nose” on anyone. However, I believe we should help those who at least attempt to help themselves. I don’t endorse simply being enablers for people who refuse to fight to improve their country. In fact, if not for the “courage” of our citizens, we would not be the great USA.
I find it disgusting that you just labeled all of Mexico as "obviously" lacking the courage, or percieved as too lazy to help themselves. It reeks of looking down your nose upon someone. One that likely has had 1/20th or less of the opportunities you have, will have, or have had; Based on nothing more then where they happened to be born.

What courageous acts have you done to earn such a cushy lifestyle ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Yeah, it was a bad comment and does not really fit the debate. But it might explain why we are not down there 'freeing' people from what is an obviously corrupted situation; Because we already have our hand in the cookie jar.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:07 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
I find it disgusting that you just labeled all of Mexico as "obviously" lacking the courage, or percieved as too lazy to help themselves. It reeks of looking down your nose upon someone. One that likely has had 1/20th or less of the opportunities you have, will have, or have had; Based on nothing more then where they happened to be born.

What courageous acts have you done to earn such a cushy lifestyle ?
First off, I didn't have more kids than I could afford to raise myself. You know, without doing something illegal or sucking off the tax payers. One thing I am damn sure of is that I wouldn't sneak into another Country to abuse their social services system.

Interesting culture. There are uprisings going on all over the World now but evidently it's easier to come suck off the Americans than it is to protest in their own Country. It's no different in Guatemala either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration