Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 08:56 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
I'm discussing the quote from the OP. Why is there an assumption that everyone coming across the Rio Grande is an "illegal", but there were "papers" required to go through Ellis Island? My experience is to think and discuss what I know, not to invent assumptions.

If your ancestors came through Ellis Island (or on a slave ship), Obama is also saying to pat yourself on the back...

You've done good...
There is no such assumption only in your own head. One would have to be a complete idiot not to know that since Obama was holding a meeting about illegal immigration that he wasn't talking about those who crossed the Rio Grande legally. He was blurring the lines between legal and illegal in his comparisons and "connections".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 09:12 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,848,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So what does that have to do with anything? If your family immigrated legally - hats off to them. They proved they respect the laws of this country -- just like many other legal immigrants have...
My ancestors showed up on the doorstep too. A Great Grand Uncle came in style looking to get in on the gold rush at Deadwood. He brought a note from a prior employer to attest that he was a real hard worker.

I don't know who he planned to show it to (someone that had to know German at least) - At that time there wasn't really any restrictions to Western Europeans...

Why didn't he stay back in Germany to change their military conscription rules for males?...

His family certainly was wealthy enough there...

Quote:
...Not only that -- your legally immigrated family is perfect proof that it can be done legally -- so less excuse for the illegals...
If they have a "qualifying relative" like I was to my wife and stepchildren...

Quote:
...Not all Mexican immigrants are here illegally - there are even some who are here through employer sponsorship because in spite of the absurd claims made by the open borders types, Mexico has excellent universities.

I work with people who came from Mexico with great educations, they came legally, they knew English before they showed up here, they speak English. They wanted to be USA Americans. No one has a problem with that.
The U.S. Consulate at Ciudad Juarez is the only location in Mexico that processes immigrant visas (a work visa is "non-immigrant"). On every weekday that is not Mexican or American holidays (like today), they can finalize 800 to 1000 applications. Those numbers were from the old location, which was overwhelmed, a couple years back they moved in to a new facility that is much bigger and more efficient.

Perhaps this topic should be placed in the "legal immigration" forum after all...

Old 04-22-2011, 09:19 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:

If they have a "qualifying relative" like I was to my wife and stepchildren...
The past is the past - just like slaves were brought over against their wills from Africa, we can't undo what's happened in the past. It's silly to worry about something from 300, 400 years ago. I'm not ever going to lose sleep over something some ancestor of mine from back then or what crimes they may have committed.

And true -- we simply cannot take in the over 2 billion impoverished of the world and give them a nice cushy life of welfare handouts here in the USA.

All countries including Mexico have immigration laws for a reason. It's foolish that we are the only nation in the world that essentially has no immigration laws of any kind - in spite of the fact that we have by far more legal immigrants than any other country on the planet.

No -- not every poor or other Mexican, Central American, Chinese, Haitian, Romanian, Somalian, Ethiopian, and so on can expect to simply wander on in without obeying any laws.

There has to be an orderly and legal process -- and there is.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:27 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
I'm discussing the quote from the OP. Why is there an assumption that everyone coming across the Rio Grande is an "illegal", but there were "papers" required to go through Ellis Island? My experience is to think and discuss what I know, not to invent assumptions.

If your ancestors came through Ellis Island (or on a slave ship), Obama is also saying to pat yourself on the back...

You've done good...
I'm wondering the same thing. There are people in this country whose ancestors did indeed cross the Rio Grande some four hundred years ago. It's about time they got some recognition.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:59 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The guantlet has been thrown.

RealClearPolitics - Video - Obama: "We Are All Connected" Whether You Crossed Rio Grande Or Landed on Ellis Island

Obama does not see illegal immigration at all.

He wants those votes. Simple as pie.

Here's what we ought to do. Make them all legal. But with one stipulation....Neither they or their future children can vote or run for so much as dog catcher! That is the price they pay for breaking in here illegally.

Then let's see how much the Democrats love them.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I'm wondering the same thing. There are people in this country whose ancestors did indeed cross the Rio Grande some four hundred years ago. It's about time they got some recognition.
"Recognition"?

Old 04-22-2011, 11:20 AM

[quote=IBMMuseum;18839630]

"If they have a "qualifying relative" like I was to my wife and stepchildren..."

And your point is? Mexicans are not being discriminated against in our legal immigration quotas. It is just that there are far more that want to come here than we can accomodate in jobs and resources. Most Mexicans coming here illegally lack job skills and an education. Are we to form our immigration policies in the best interests of immigrants or the best interests of this nation and its citizens?

Old 04-22-2011, 01:22 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,848,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
...And your point is? Mexicans are not being discriminated against in our legal immigration quotas. It is just that there are far more that want to come here than we can accomodate in jobs and resources. Most Mexicans coming here illegally lack job skills and an education. Are we to form our immigration policies in the best interests of immigrants or the best interests of this nation and its citizens?
I've made that point to aliases of you and your husband before, but here it is again: "Immediate Relatives" have no immigration quotas if it is a U.S. citizen able to sponsor them. That is the qualifying standard of family-based immigration, not whether they have a particular skill-set.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I've made that point to aliases of you and your husband before, but here it is again: "Immediate Relatives" have no immigration quotas if it is a U.S. citizen able to sponsor them. That is the qualifying standard of family-based immigration, not whether they have a particular skill-set.
I've asked you to knock off the personal remarks and insinuations before, apparently you haven't learned.

Doesn't matter what the qualifications are to come here or who can and cannot sponsor you. Mexicans are here by far in the largest numbers both legally and illegally. You are still implying that they are being discriminated against when they are not. You're wife and family came here legally so I don't know why you appear to be so defensive of illegal aliens and in particular those from Mexico. Is it that brain transplant thing that we have spoken about before or that white guilt thing or both?

Old 04-23-2011, 12:18 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:

You've done good...
Obama speaks in campaign code that is transparent. Every word is measured, calclulated, and pre-weight for effect.

In this specific speech:

Ellis Island = legal immigration by choice
Slave Ship = immigration by force
Rio Grand = ilegal immigration by choice

Thus illustrating the three possible ways to come to this country, legally, without choice, or illegally. Since Obama's code for "comprehensive immigration reform" = amnesty, there is little doubt in my mind, given his past speeches, what he meant. I think it is less assumption and more logical conclusion based on observation. YMMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration