Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Rep. Gutierrez right?
Yes 7 53.85%
No 6 46.15%
Don't know 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 08:37 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Gutierrez did NOT confirm that "illegals" are voting.

What he ACTUALLY SAID:

What the linked stories MADE UP:

News flash: it is NOT illegal for "immigrants" to vote.
They didn't make it up.

Just by being in the country illegal they get more representation & voting power.

Are you saying not 1 illegal never voted?

Old 08-25-2011, 09:36 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
They didn't make it up.
Uh, yeah. They did. Unless you've got a source that quotes him actually saying illegal immigrants voted. They printed a quote of him saying one thing, then claimed he said something different.

Quote:
Just by being in the country illegal they get more representation & voting power.
This is a totally different matter.

Quote:
Are you saying not 1 illegal never voted?
No, but nice attempt to handwave and change the subject. I'm saying the article is garbage because the quotes in it do not match the claims made in it.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:39 AM

1,457 posts, read 2,028,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Immigrants can't vote whether they be the legal ones or the illegal ones so I would like to know what Gutierrez meant by this.
Dead people can vote is probably what he meant.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Uh, yeah. They did. Unless you've got a source that quotes him actually saying illegal immigrants voted. They printed a quote of him saying one thing, then claimed he said something different.

That is why you can't mixed the word immigrants, when referring to illegals.
If you put 2 & 2 together with common sense logic the Rep in the past & present has always fought for illegals & when Obama granted amnesty the Rep replied using the word immigrants.

This is a totally different matter.

How is it a different matter? This is an illegal immigration forum and explained how illegals affect voting & representation. Totally valid

No, but nice attempt to handwave and change the subject. I'm saying the article is garbage because the quotes in it do not match the claims made in it.

Not changing the subject but asking a question in regards to your comment. Please answer.
See inserts

Old 08-25-2011, 09:55 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Gutierrez said that "immigrants" helped elect Obama. I repeat again that immigrants cannot legally vote, only citizens can.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
See inserts
Quote:
That is why you can't mixed the word immigrants, when referring to illegals.
If you put 2 & 2 together with common sense logic the Rep in the past & present has always fought for illegals & when Obama granted amnesty the Rep replied using the word immigrants.
So the behavior you're complaining about is EXACTLY what the ARTICLE you linked did, NOT what the person they quoted did. He said that some immigrants voted for Obama. Which is TRUE. And, shockingly, it's PERFECTLY LEGAL for immigrants to vote.

Then the article comes along and twists this into a GOTCHA!!! OH he said IMMIGRANTS VOTED therefore we now have PROOF that illegals are voting! Uh, no, sorry, that's a totally invalid conclusion given the quote. Totally.

Quote:
How is it a different matter? This is an illegal immigration forum and explained how illegals affect voting & representation. Totally valid
"getting more representation" is different than illegally voting. Sorry, I don't know how this is even debatable. The claim is that this representative is in some conspiracy to cover up illegals voting (he "LET IT SLIP!") and when it's show that he didn't say what the article claims he said, you switch gears to "oh, yeah but they get more representation." Well, maybe, but irrelevant to the charge that he "admitted" that illegals are voting.

Quote:
Not changing the subject but asking a question in regards to your comment. Please answer.
I DID answer:

Quote:
No
Again, NO, I am not saying no illegals ever voted. And yes, that IS a blatant attempt to change the subject. You posted an article, the article is obviously full of blatant lies, those lies are exposed, now you're trying to bring up other stuff.

Let's be clear: this article IS full of baloney, and yes, other bad stuff not related to the article probably happened at some point.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Gutierrez said that "immigrants" helped elect Obama. I repeat again that immigrants cannot legally vote, only citizens can.
News flash: some immigrants ARE CITIZENS and yet, still are immigrants, and they most definitely can legally vote. So saying "immigrant voters" is in no way any implicit statement including illegal voters.

ITS THE LAW.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
News flash: some immigrants ARE CITIZENS and yet, still are immigrants, and they most definitely can legally vote. So saying "immigrant voters" is in no way any implicit statement including illegal voters.

ITS THE LAW.
Citizens are Americans, not immigrants

Old 08-25-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Citizens are Americans, not immigrants
People who immigrate are immigrants whether they are citizens or not. This isn't some secret code word or something. It's in the dictionary.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
So the behavior you're complaining about is EXACTLY what the ARTICLE you linked did, NOT what the person they quoted did. He said that some immigrants voted for Obama. Which is TRUE. And, shockingly, it's PERFECTLY LEGAL for immigrants to vote.

Then the article comes along and twists this into a GOTCHA!!! OH he said IMMIGRANTS VOTED therefore we now have PROOF that illegals are voting! Uh, no, sorry, that's a totally invalid conclusion given the quote. Totally.

Immigrants that are citizens are no longer immigrants they are American citizens.

"getting more representation" is different than illegally voting. Sorry, I don't know how this is even debatable. The claim is that this representative is in some conspiracy to cover up illegals voting (he "LET IT SLIP!") and when it's show that he didn't say what the article claims he said, you switch gears to "oh, yeah but they get more representation." Well, maybe, but irrelevant to the charge that he "admitted" that illegals are voting.

I only pointed out voting is voting, by presence they are affecting elected officials as if they were voting As an example. if each district hypothetically were required to have 10,000 people (both illegal aliens and citizens) then a district with only 8,000 citizens would have the same number of council members as a district with 10,000 citizens.

I DID answer:

Again, NO, I am not saying no illegals ever voted. And yes, that IS a blatant attempt to change the subject. You posted an article, the article is obviously full of blatant lies, those lies are exposed, now you're trying to bring up other stuff.

I was only questioning your reply. If anything it was you who changed the subject, because you bought it up.

Let's be clear: this article IS full of baloney, and yes, other bad stuff not related to the article probably happened at some point.

The rep made the statement
See insert
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration