Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2013, 11:20 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,839,638 times

Advertisements

it seems odd to me that there is such a distinction here.

basically an immigrant (unskilled or semi-skilled) is the same, legal or otherwise.

They bring down the wages of the common man whilst enriching the wealthy.

if you ask me, ALL immigration should be severely restricted.

Why play the charade of having the two terms for what is , essentially, the same thing?

(and BTW - I am an immigrant myself, so have pop if you like!)

Old 02-10-2013, 04:43 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post

basically an immigrant (unskilled or semi-skilled) is the same, legal or otherwise.

Why play the charade of having the two terms for what is , essentially, the same thing?

If you truly believe what you posted, then you would do the right thing and self-deport.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:09 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post

BIG difference: LEGAL aliens come and stay here because we want them to. ILLEGAL aliens DON'T ask permission like the legal ones and most of us DON'T want illegals to stay.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:11 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
Huge difference.

Legal immigrants have shown an understanding and a willingness to abide by the legal rules for immigration.

Illegal immigrants have shown a total disregard for the laws/rules concerning immigration, hence have already broken the laws and show that they have the propensity to continue to do so.

One is, to me, acceptable. The other never will be.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:25 AM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Huge difference.

Legal immigrants have shown an understanding and a willingness to abide by the legal rules for immigration.

Illegal immigrants have shown a total disregard for the laws/rules concerning immigration, hence have already broken the laws and show that they have the propensity to continue to do so.

One is, to me, acceptable. The other never will be.
Not only that but they show a total disregard for stealing American jobs and benefits. They give birth on our soil knowing full well that the taxpayer will have to care for them. They either steal or use fake ID's (a felony) or evade taxes by getting paid under the table. Legal immigrants undergo health and background checks. Illegal immigrants do not.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:54 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,848,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Not only that but they show a total disregard for stealing American jobs and benefits. They give birth on our soil knowing full well that the taxpayer will have to care for them. They either steal or use fake ID's (a felony) or evade taxes by getting paid under the table...
Wouldn't a legal immigrant getting a job here have a "disregard" for the U.S. citizen that could get it otherwise? If they give birth here, there is no chance that legal immigrants wouldn't use any taxpayer-funded social costs? You're placing global characterizations that may not be held by just one group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
...Legal immigrants undergo health and background checks. Illegal immigrants do not.
Background checks when coming from a country where that process can be done. How involved do you think that can be for some regions? Depending on how an immigrant may have entered the U.S., those health checks can be non-existent or limited, and the risk around quick international travel to the United States is the bigger concern now.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:34 AM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Wouldn't a legal immigrant getting a job here have a "disregard" for the U.S. citizen that could get it otherwise? If they give birth here, there is no chance that legal immigrants wouldn't use any taxpayer-funded social costs? You're placing global characterizations that may not be held by just one group.

Background checks when coming from a country where that process can be done. How involved do you think that can be for some regions? Depending on how an immigrant may have entered the U.S., those health checks can be non-existent or limited, and the risk around quick international travel to the United States is the bigger concern now.
No, it wouldn't. Legal immigrants are here with permission of our government and in controlled numbers and have to be paid a legal wage therefore they aren't competing with Americans at a cutrate wage as illegal immigants are.

Sorry, I don't view legal immigrants as I do illegal ones regardless of whether or not they can tap into our welfare coffers. I thought you objected yesterday to any discussion of legal immigrants so why even respond to any related comments about them?

Old 02-10-2013, 11:26 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Actually it's a good question. After all once Obama gives everyone that has overstayed their travel visa and who has come over illegally their quick easy USA citizenship, they are instantly legal and US citizens.

Obama is essentially putting an end to the whole immigration system, the whole set of laws. He's already said that it's perfectly fine for foreigners to disregard the terms of their visas, and that it's okey for them to be smuggled in.

We are essentially now the only nation on earth with no immigration laws and no borders that are enforced in any way.

Obama and McCain and the other open borders cheap labor proponents are saying that those who break our nation's laws deserve more than those who abide by the laws.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:32 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
In fact under Obama's immigration system, those who respect the terms of their visas are just idiots. If they are here on legal work visas, their children are not going to be handed instant US citizenship and they willl not get financial aid so they can attend colleges and universities free here. Foreign students who come on student visas are just idiots. They are just asking to pay more in tuition if they come legally, if they come illegally then they get in-state rates AND financial aid.

People getting visas to come here to travel or study or work should all realize that there is in expectation whatsoever that they ever return home. They can let the visa expire and then just demand their legal status and citizenship. Why should law abiders get a lesser deal than law breakers?

Old 02-10-2013, 07:36 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,839,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
If you truly believe what you posted, then you would do the right thing and self-deport.
interesting idea, but I'd say that my position is one a which a local cannot specifically do themselves.

Which is why I'm referring to mainly un-skilled workers in the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration