Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2013, 05:30 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times

Advertisements

Here is an example of someone who worked hard, knew English and in fact doesn't sponge off anyone nor does he take away a job from anyone else. His name is John Taylor, he's co founder of Duran Duran. He obviously knew English, is worth millions (duh, he's a famous rock star) and it took him YEARS to become a citizen. Yes, even though he is married to an American and has lived here over 20 years only now has he become a citizen. Duran Duran

We get plenty of legal immigrants but can anyone who supports illegals give me an example like him? Incidentally I have met him and he has talked about going through the process for years.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:06 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Here is an example of someone who worked hard, knew English and in fact doesn't sponge off anyone nor does he take away a job from anyone else. His name is John Taylor, he's co founder of Duran Duran. He obviously knew English, is worth millions (duh, he's a famous rock star) and it took him YEARS to become a citizen. Yes, even though he is married to an American and has lived here over 20 years only now has he become a citizen. Duran Duran

We get plenty of legal immigrants but can anyone who supports illegals give me an example like him? Incidentally I have met him and he has talked about going through the process for years.
I don't understand the assignment. Do you want people to read his immigration process and give you examples of others that did it his way?

Old 03-03-2013, 03:49 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
I don't understand the assignment. Do you want people to read his immigration process and give you examples of others that did it his way?
Apparently the ideal is a rich rock star who's been through rehab, and retains his British citizenship...

Old 03-03-2013, 04:18 PM

Isn't that better than someone who comes here illegally, refuses to learns English then has kids and goes on welfare or takes a job from someone else? He has a daughter and step kids and they all grew up in the USA but I guarantee they were never on welfare.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Isn't that better than someone who comes here illegally, refuses to learns English then has kids and goes on welfare or takes a job from someone else? He has a daughter and step kids and they all grew up in the USA but I guarantee they were never on welfare.
Ever think it might have been so he couldn't be refused entry? The wait could have been for avoiding any moral turpitude barriers. I mean, he did talk about his cocaine use and young tour groupies in his recent tell-all book "In the Pleasure Groove: Love, Death and Duran Duran".

Last edited by IBMMuseum; 03-03-2013 at 05:49 PM..

Old 03-03-2013, 06:04 PM

You must hate rock and roll.

He pays taxes, lots them in fact. I'd rather have someone like him than someone who sponges off the system. So what if he slept with women and did drugs.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
You must hate rock and roll.

He pays taxes, lots them in fact. I'd rather have someone like him than someone who sponges off the system. So what if he slept with women and did drugs.
A few years before Amy Winehouse died, she was initially refused a visa (because of drug usage allegations) to perform at the Grammys. Within days, the U.S. State Department relented, and let her come. Which was the correct decision? Do we allow foreign performers into the United States just because they are rich and/or famous, no matter what?

Just so we are clear, John Taylor was not a U.S. citizen at the time he was doing drug rehab in Phoenix for cocaine addiction and alcoholism. Usually that means the foreigner will be barred from the U.S. until completing treatment elsewhere. Foreign National spouses of U.S. citizens are not exempt from that requirement.

The pulse of the forum at this point is that a foreigner that violates immigration law should not be able to come back legally, much less naturalize...

About the only soft spot that you will get from me is that he is married to a U.S. citizen, because we are talking about this from a family-based immigration perspective, not the aspect of his musical career, money, or fame...

Old 03-03-2013, 11:39 PM

So rock stars who do drugs should be refused entry but of course people who come here illegally should get citizenship?

Old 03-04-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
So rock stars who do drugs should be refused entry but of course people who come here illegally should get citizenship?
Not just "rock stars", if there is any reasonable suspicion that a foreign national is going to buy, sell, use, or knowingly transport an illegal drug during their time in the United States, they should be refused entry. I've never advocated for U.S. citizenship from an illegal alien status - There is always a path through legal residency to be able to naturalize.

Why would we excuse an addict because he was rich? Illegal is illegal. I'm also providing what I have observed as the current pulse of the forum, where a foreign national that violates immigration law is not looked at in a very good light. Whether anyone else shows that opinion by commenting is up to them.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:02 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,725,665 times
Not an illegal immigration topic.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration