Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 07:06 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,665,400 times

Advertisements

Seems like the sinister of 8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 02:32 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,491,142 times
Politics is the art of compromise. And that's what the "8" appear to be engaged in ... if you read the Washington Post article (and not the usually hateful Breitbart blog). The Senators who have worked hard, now and in the past, to see comprehensive immigration reform take hold understand the pitfalls of fellow Senators picking-apart legislation so that it's meaningless. That's what the discussions about the "core provisions" is all about. Clearly, the group of "8" is still negotiating amongst themselves and their staff so that they present legislation with, in their view, the best prospect of passage in the U.S. Senate. This issue has been festering for a long time now, so a delay or two or further negotiation isn't much of a bother .. if they want to get it "right". I put as much confidence in conspiracy theories - suggesting Democratic and GOP Senators are up to no good - as I do in the Breitbart lunatics. None.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:43 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Politics is the art of compromise. And that's what the "8" appear to be engaged in ... if you read the Washington Post article (and not the usually hateful Breitbart blog). The Senators who have worked hard, now and in the past, to see comprehensive immigration reform take hold understand the pitfalls of fellow Senators picking-apart legislation so that it's meaningless. That's what the discussions about the "core provisions" is all about. Clearly, the group of "8" is still negotiating amongst themselves and their staff so that they present legislation with, in their view, the best prospect of passage in the U.S. Senate. This issue has been festering for a long time now, so a delay or two or further negotiation isn't much of a bother .. if they want to get it "right". I put as much confidence in conspiracy theories - suggesting Democratic and GOP Senators are up to no good - as I do in the Breitbart lunatics. None.
I tend to agree. Although a lot of what I've seen come out of negotiations has been undesirable the full House will have to decide before the next shutdown whether or not they are willing to negotiate a softer position on amnesty.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:44 PM

62,878 posts, read 29,110,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
There should be no compromising on the lives of the American people for illegal foreigners.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:02 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,214,990 times
The bill created by the gang of 8 is a porkulous spendfest that actually does very little to address the actual problems in our immigration system. It is the worst piece of legislation that I have seen passed in many years.
Believe it or not our immigration system is not nor was it ever intended to facilitate illegals. Illegals are not what is wrong with the system.
It is heavy in redundancy which contributes to confusion and needlessly long waiting periods.
What we should do is look at what other countries are doing and reapply the things that will benefit this nation. The absolute last consideration involved in the decision making is what will benefit the illegals. Their needs are utterly and completely irrelevant.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
There will be amendments as they buy votes.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:43 AM

175 posts, read 406,044 times
Happy Texan-EXACLY!!

Old 10-30-2013, 10:22 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The bill created by the gang of 8 is a porkulous spendfest that actually does very little to address the actual problems in our immigration system. It is the worst piece of legislation that I have seen passed in many years.
Believe it or not our immigration system is not nor was it ever intended to facilitate illegals. Illegals are not what is wrong with the system.
It is heavy in redundancy which contributes to confusion and needlessly long waiting periods.
What we should do is look at what other countries are doing and reapply the things that will benefit this nation. The absolute last consideration involved in the decision making is what will benefit the illegals. Their needs are utterly and completely irrelevant.
Big Business loves illegals. The party of Big Business is the GOP. They make the real decisions in the Party. Everyone else comes second. You'll note that the GOP is is now trying to divest itself of the Tea Party after the disastrous shutdown because it costs businesses profits. You have an issue with the legislation? take it up with your Congressman. He'll pretend to listen to you, then heed the call of his true master.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:23 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,214,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Big Business loves illegals. The party of Big Business is the GOP. They make the real decisions in the Party. Everyone else comes second. You'll note that the GOP is is now trying to divest itself of the Tea Party after the disastrous shutdown because it costs businesses profits. You have an issue with the legislation? take it up with your Congressman. He'll pretend to listen to you, then heed the call of his true master.
I noticed that the alleged reform has very little to do with addressing what is actually wrong with the bill and a lot to do with massive spending with an amnesty thrown in to appease a minority segment of our population.
Now just what about this horrible piece of legislation is worthy of passage?
Now what I propose and it would be more effective and cost far less.
1. 100% mandatory E-verify for employers and landlords.
2. massive fines for anyone who knowingly hires an illegal. That includes Joe cheapskate to cheap to hire a licensed contractor. I would include massive fines for land lords as well.
3. Seize the assets of any illegal caught to help offset the cost of deportation.
make life impossible for the illegal and they will self deport.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:22 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,897,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
100 years ago people who LOVED their cheap labor said the same things; guess what, a few years later the US shut down MOST immigration because there was the real chance of trouble on the streets. The KKK got real big back them and I'm sure other groups got together and started stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration