Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 04:43 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,376,907 times

Advertisements

Donald Trump rolls out immigration policy

Republican presidential candidate has finally given us a glimpse of his proposed immigration policy, and it’s everything you would expect it to be:
Trump said Wednesday in an interview with CNN’s Dana Bash that as president he would deport all undocumented immigrants and then allow the “good ones” to reenter the country through an “expedited process” and live in the U.S. legally, though not as citizens.

Legal status,” Trump suggested. “We got to move ’em out, we’re going to move ’em back in if they’re really good people.”

"really good people" don't break the law in the first place, Trump. Hold them accountable for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 04:48 PM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Thanks for posting this, Jess5!

That said, I wish he had said that he was going to send them all back and not allow any back in here.

Old 08-02-2015, 05:21 PM

63,004 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post

Republican presidential candidate has finally given us a glimpse of his proposed immigration policy, and it’s everything you would expect it to be:
Trump said Wednesday in an interview with CNN’s Dana Bash that as president he would deport all undocumented immigrants and then allow the “good ones” to reenter the country through an “expedited process” and live in the U.S. legally, though not as citizens.

Legal status,” Trump suggested. “We got to move ’em out, we’re going to move ’em back in if they’re really good people.”

"really good people" don't break the law in the first place, Trump. Hold them accountable for that.
Exactly! Why would he "expedite" their return? What about those waiting in line to come here legally in the first place? You're right, really good people wouldn't violate our immigration laws. Instead of expediting them they should have to wait in line and actually have a longer wait time than usual. How many of them have committing felony ID theft to work here? Is that to be all forgiven?

Old 08-02-2015, 05:30 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
I like the way that Bill O'Reilly put it: [We need to secure our borders and] "be humane because it's the federal government's fault... and they did it".

Old 08-02-2015, 06:50 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,454,615 times
I seriously do not know what to think at this point. No one really wants to do what most of us are wanting. At least most of us. Why, what the heck is the reason for this.

I heard briefly on tv the other day but was working at the same time, the cost has a lot to do with it, more then we can imagine. Could that be the half of it. I just do not get it.

I do not get the sending them back, only to return, just do not understand, someone help me understand because I don't.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:51 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,817,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I seriously do not know what to think at this point. No one really wants to do what most of us are wanting. At least most of us. Why, what the heck is the reason for this.

I heard briefly on tv the other day but was working at the same time, the cost has a lot to do with it, more then we can imagine. Could that be the half of it. I just do not get it.

I do not get the sending them back, only to return, just do not understand, someone help me understand because I don't.
What I believe Trump means by that is that we'll kick them all out and then we'll allow in those that add value to our economy/society. It may not be the same people that we kicked out. That's just the way that I read it.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:59 PM

63,004 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post

I seriously doubt that Trump would round them all up and deport them. Hopefully down the line he will be more precise as to how they will all get sent back home. We already have a good solution that will cost next to nothing and that is to remove all of the incentives for them to remain here such as jobs, benefits and birthright citizenship for their kids. Many if not most will leave on their own. The serious criminal type that he spoke of must be deported as they are found.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:08 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,454,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I seriously doubt that Trump would round them all up and deport them. Hopefully down the line he will be more precise as to how they will all get sent back home. We already have a good solution that will cost next to nothing and that is to remove all of the incentives for them to remain here such as jobs, benefits and birthright citizenship for their kids. Many if not most will leave on their own. The serious criminal type that he spoke of must be deported as they are found.

I agree with your many good points. Make life easy for anyone, and what do we think is going to happen.

Right now there is too many incentives for them to stay put. If these people do not have jobs, benefits, and what they really want birthright citizenship for their kids, they won't want to stay here.

Someone has got to break the cycle and get tough here, I do not care at this point who that is.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:48 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,441,601 times
A serious immigration policy would:

1) Enforce the law as it already exists.

That means a) not tying the hands of the border patrol, but rather allowing it to do interior enforcement and sweeps based on profiling, b) not requiring it to release OTMs (other than Mexicans), and 3) coordinating with states and municipalities to enforce immigration law.

Effective enforcement would mean five times as many border patrol agents and ten times as many detention beds. Anyone here illegally would be subject to immediate detention and deportation and there would be no exceptions for asylum seekers who failed to apply for asylum overseas.

Not having a green card or a passport with currently valid visa on you at all times would be grounds for automatic deportation.

Congress would have to clarify the law and get rid of the many loopholes that keep immigration lawyers busy and illegals from being deported.

2) Instituting mandatory E-Verify for all employers and all social welfare programs.

3) Finish constructing the border fence on the southern border.

4) Deny federal funding to sanctuary states, counties and cities.

5) Make illegal immigration a misdemeanor for the first offense (6 months in jail, followed by deportation), and a felony (5 years in prison) for all subsequent offenses.

Knowingly harboring an illegal or failure to exercise due diligence to ensure that one was not harboring an illegal alien would be a felony with a mandatory 5-year minimum prison sentence. So landlords, banks, etc., would be well-advised to use E-Verify in order to protect themselves.

6) End in-state tuition, drivers licenses and other perks for illegals.

7) Institute an entry-exit visa tracking system.

8) Deny citizenship to anchor babies.

This is just a start.

As for the claim that "we can't deport all of them at once," that is beside the point. We'll deport them as we catch them, just as we arrest other lawbreakers as we catch them. When things get hot enough, and job opportunities few enough, a lot of them will leave on their own.

Never ever give a path to citizenship to any illegal aliens. Doing so is green light for others to try to sneak into this country -- as we learned after Reagan's amnesty in 1986.

The Donald is going to have to come up with the kind of detail I've set out above -- and more -- to be credible on this issue.

Last edited by dechatelet; 08-03-2015 at 06:00 AM..

Old 08-03-2015, 06:23 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,839,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post

AKA amnesty .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration