Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 02:11 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,611,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I was with him up to about 4:00 in the video. Build the wall, enforce E-Verify, cut all government assistance to illegals, repeal the 14th Amendment and then let's see what happens. There is no need to jump to legalization.
yeah exactly. There is really no need to jump to legalization. Maybe a guest worker program for the illegals already here, but legalization? I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 02:43 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
What is being proposed is passing a law that would be enforced. That has to happen at some point or the problem will never be solved. Current law will not solve future problems.
More amnesties? How does that solve the problem? We did that back in 1986 and now we have at least quadruple the number of illegal aliens here today. Rewarding law breakers never makes sense as it just encourages more. How do Americans get their jobs back if we do another amnesty? It also negates our sane annual quotas for legal immigration.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
yeah exactly. There is really no need to jump to legalization. Maybe a guest worker program for the illegals already here, but legalization? I don't think so.

They need to go back to their homelands first. Why should they be granted a guest worker spot when I'm sure there are immigrants waiting in their homelands for the same? A guest worker spot for what jobs anyway?

Old 06-10-2017, 02:52 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think any concessions towards illegals is a real slap in the face to those who stood in line and followed the rules to get their green cards etc..
Did you watch the video? He didn't propose that illegals would become citizens. So it's not a slap in the face.

Quote:
I know we are becoming a society where the person or group that makes the most noise wins but it is wrong. Rules are rules. If we need to change the current laws or make new ones so be it but today it is against our immigration laws to be in this country without permission.
The speaker proposed new laws exactly as you suggest.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
Reps have both houses and the presidency... no blaming the 'libs' on this one.
Get it done or sthu!

I think this is a 'call your bluff' issue.
Reps don't want to stop illegals, they just want to ACT like they do.
Lets see some action, no more blaming Obama, he's gone.

I tend to think Trump and his trumpies will twist and whine and do nothing.

If they don't want to stop the illegals then why does Trump have e-verify in his 2018 budget and want to build a wall to stop them?

What did Obama do? He granted millions of illegal aliens a stay of deportation along with work permits and instructed Homeland Security not to deport any illegal aliens unless they were "convicted" criminals. You call that doing something?

Old 06-10-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Did you watch the video? He didn't propose that illegals would become citizens. So it's not a slap in the face.

The speaker proposed new laws exactly as you suggest.

It's a slap in the face to legal immigrants who applied in their countries and came here the right way. Allowing illegals to remain without having to follow the same procedure is indeed a slap in the face to them. They are jumping ahead of the line and being rewarded with legalization.

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
More amnesties? How does that solve the problem?
By itself, it doesn't solve the problem.

Quote:
We did that back in 1986 and now we have at least quadruple the number of illegal aliens here today. .
Yes, but in 1986 we didn't build a wall and we didn't secure our borders and we didn't implement something like everify.

That's a huge difference.

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
More amnesties? How does that solve the problem? We did that back in 1986 and now we have at least quadruple the number of illegal aliens here today. Rewarding law breakers never makes sense as it just encourages more. How do Americans get their jobs back if we do another amnesty? It also negates our sane annual quotas for legal immigration.
You are discounting the other parts of the plan in the video.

I remember the 1986 amnesty well and knew at the time they were kicking the can down the road and we would be right back here again. I thought it was BS at the time and it was.

You did bring up something interesting about the annual quotas. We let in about one million a year so we could have a moratorium for 11 years and not let anyone in.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Isn't that what many people champion to get laws passed. "Compromise" It sure beats obstruction where nothing gets done to solve problems. Legalization in not citizenship in this compromise. Those who went through the legal process can get citizenship. That is an important difference.

Why should we compromise on this? Americans need their jobs back. How does it solve the illegal immigration problem? I don't call rewarding law breakers as "getting something done". Getting something done would be enforcing the laws on the books already.

Old 06-10-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
You are discounting the other parts of the plan in the video.

I remember the 1986 amnesty well and knew at the time they were kicking the can down the road and we would be right back here again. I thought it was BS at the time and it was.

You did bring up something interesting about the annual quotas. We let in about one million a year so we could have a moratorium for 11 years and not let anyone in.

Are you suggesting that we stop allowing in immigrants who have paid their dues by waiting in line in their homelands and for their number to come up in our legal quotas just so we can accommodate the illegal aliens in our country? Um, no that's not fair to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration