Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 08:06 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,794,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
That’s not how it works. One doesn’t just apply for citizenship. Permanent residency for 5 years occurs first
OK, you become a permanent resident first. Then fill out the paper work, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 09:45 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
OK, you become a permanent resident first. Then fill out the paper work, etc.
Not so fast.

For the vast majority of the legal immigrants, the challenge is to become permanent residents. There are only a few ways to do that:
1. Marrying to a US citizen
2. Being a family member of a US citizen
3. Go through college, H1B
4. Be really good at something

I don't see why the DACA people can't take one of these routes and apply for permanent residency like everybody else.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:44 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Not so fast.

For the vast majority of the legal immigrants, the challenge is to become permanent residents. There are only a few ways to do that:
1. Marrying to a US citizen
2. Being a family member of a US citizen
3. Go through college, H1B
4. Be really good at something

I don't see why the DACA people can't take one of these routes and apply for permanent residency like everybody else.
Are you serious? So they're supposed to marry an American to get a green card? That's fraud.
Being a family member of a US citizen. There isn't much they can do about that.
I don't know about the college H1B--is that a visa that gets converted to permanent resident status? Not everyone can or should go to college or can afford college.
Be really good at something. You know what that means? It usually means some kind of scientific researcher and there has to be no one else in the country who can do the job. Sometimes a doctor can get in too.

So that's not much chance of getting a green card. I'm against people sneaking into the country but I make an exception for the DACA people who didn't even have a choice. Their parents dragged them here. They have been raised here. We paid to educate them. As long as they don't have a criminal background, we should keep them. Their parents are the criminals who broke our immigration laws.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:09 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,506 times
I dated a Colombian lady years ago, she came to the U.S. on a visitors visa, found a job, went back home and filled out the proper papers and came back, why can't those here illegally who have no criminal records do the same. at least the DACA's who supposedly educated themselves while here should be able to, of course many are probably too darn lazy to and instead expect amnesty, why, because Reagan gave it once, the worst thing our country had ever done, deport them all asap.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:21 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Are you serious? So they're supposed to marry an American to get a green card? That's fraud.
Being a family member of a US citizen. There isn't much they can do about that.
I don't know about the college H1B--is that a visa that gets converted to permanent resident status? Not everyone can or should go to college or can afford college.
Be really good at something. You know what that means? It usually means some kind of scientific researcher and there has to be no one else in the country who can do the job. Sometimes a doctor can get in too.

So that's not much chance of getting a green card. I'm against people sneaking into the country but I make an exception for the DACA people who didn't even have a choice. Their parents dragged them here. They have been raised here. We paid to educate them. As long as they don't have a criminal background, we should keep them. Their parents are the criminals who broke our immigration laws.

I don't think we should make an exception for the DACAs regardless of how they got here or how long they have been here. We need to get tough on the enforcement of our immigration laws for a change or we'll have this same problem years from now.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:02 AM

1,225 posts, read 605,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
I dated a Colombian lady years ago, she came to the U.S. on a visitors visa, found a job, went back home and filled out the proper papers and came back, why can't those here illegally who have no criminal records do the same. at least the DACA's who supposedly educated themselves while here should be able to, of course many are probably too darn lazy to and instead expect amnesty, why, because Reagan gave it once, the worst thing our country had ever done, deport them all asap.
Because they’d have a 10 year ban

Old 02-12-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Because they’d have a 10 year ban
Only if someone knows they are in the country, I suspect some could cross the boarder and then come back in legally, even some who are eligible for DACA in Trumps numbers but never registered like the rest had.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:47 AM

1,225 posts, read 605,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Only if someone knows they are in the country, I suspect some could cross the boarder and then come back in legally, even some who are eligible for DACA in Trumps numbers but never registered like the rest had.
Not everyone snuck across the border. Those who came on visitors visas would have a ban.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Not everyone snuck across the border. Those who came on visitors visas would have a ban.
Since there appears to be no sure record for those who came on a visitors visa and left across a border, they could leave across a border and then find a way home to whatever country they came from and then try to come back in legally.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:57 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:

DACAs were snuck across the border by their parents though. They didn't come here on a visitor's visa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration