Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 02:52 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times

Advertisements

another interesting case.

Judge holds fate of gang member-turned scholar - Los Angeles Times

as a youth this guy got into problems. gang problems. during the course of a convenience store robbery he was paralyzed. months later he went on to shoot at some rivals. he was subsequently placed on probabtion. after his 5 yr probation was over (with no incidents) he enrolled at school and has gone on to recieve a masters in english lit. hes done well for himself. except now that shooting of a rival puts him up against an immigration judge.

should he be deported?

normally i am all for getting rid of the thugs. lockin'em up. frying the worst of the worst. but it seems like this kid, go on the right path. and matured into an upstanding young individual.

is it all a little too late?

at least he is resolved to make a difference in MX if thats the way the judge rules.

im leaning towards giving someone who HASNT faltered the chance to be in the US. but... how much does this guys path to redemption factor in all of this?

he seems like a success story.
former gang member turned english professor.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 03:17 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Deport the individual.
Why? Because he had a chance to be the model citizen and flubbed it not once but repeatedly. He had his do over and blew it.
If he gets the break then every criminal illegal will want the same break regardless of how much they earned or deserve it.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:29 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Deport the individual.
Why? Because he had a chance to be the model citizen and flubbed it not once but repeatedly. He had his do over and blew it.
If he gets the break then every criminal illegal will want the same break regardless of how much they earned or deserve it.
thats what i was thinking. he did have a chance. so many people from those circumstances have not faltered. they dont need to end up in a wheel chair to get right.

but is there then no redemption for him? maybe his redemption will be better accessed in a country he has no memory of(he was brought here as a baby after all)

i think the judge will look at the earlier ruling of probation and the second half of his life and probably grant him US citizenship. not saying i agree with that. but for some reason i think that just might happen.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:02 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
another interesting case.

Judge holds fate of gang member-turned scholar - Los Angeles Times

as a youth this guy got into problems. gang problems. during the course of a convenience store robbery he was paralyzed. months later he went on to shoot at some rivals. he was subsequently placed on probabtion. after his 5 yr probation was over (with no incidents) he enrolled at school and has gone on to recieve a masters in english lit. hes done well for himself. except now that shooting of a rival puts him up against an immigration judge.

should he be deported?

normally i am all for getting rid of the thugs. lockin'em up. frying the worst of the worst. but it seems like this kid, go on the right path. and matured into an upstanding young individual.

is it all a little too late?

at least he is resolved to make a difference in MX if thats the way the judge rules.

im leaning towards giving someone who HASNT faltered the chance to be in the US. but... how much does this guys path to redemption factor in all of this?

he seems like a success story.
former gang member turned english professor.

In the name of fair justice and compassion, give this thug a foot in the and get him outta here!!

Your past will catch up with you one day and here is an example, he gets no sympathy from me.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:12 PM

68 posts, read 147,101 times
If he loves English lit so much he can earn a good living teaching it in his native country.
Deport him.

Many American-born kids don’t get this sort of sympathetic second-chance treatment.

Our justice system is a joke.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:24 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
thats what i was thinking. he did have a chance. so many people from those circumstances have not faltered. they dont need to end up in a wheel chair to get right.

but is there then no redemption for him? maybe his redemption will be better accessed in a country he has no memory of(he was brought here as a baby after all)

i think the judge will look at the earlier ruling of probation and the second half of his life and probably grant him US citizenship. not saying i agree with that. but for some reason i think that just might happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanAnomie View Post
If he loves English lit so much he can earn a good living teaching it in his native country.
Deport him.

Many American-born kids don’t get this sort of sympathetic second-chance treatment.

Our justice system is a joke.
This guy has no rights and needs to be permanently banned from the USA. If caught here again: life in prison with no parole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration