Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 12:05 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Really? I wasn't aware of that. Nor did I realize it was in the same league as Great Falls or Potomac. It just goes to show we learn something new each day. In that case, how about "The Falls Church Hillbillies."
Ah; yes, Falls Gulch uh Church...........I remember that place. Hell prior for my leaving for California: I lived about 2 miles away from it down Lee Hwy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 03:48 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
I figured that since he was so adamant in suggesting that something like this be employed to combat population growth, he'd be willing to be on the front lines of that experimentation...............

Yeah, like I said, I'd have no problems releasing it...where do you live again?

Old 10-13-2008, 05:22 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
We still are a free nation. This country is still a great, and I dont think that many of us are suffering too badly here.
We are not as free as we once were, and we are certainly on the path to losing more of our beloved freedoms if we do not stand against the constant growth of power wielded by the Federal government.

As far as suffering, I do believe you are right. At the moment we are still relatively on top of the game. But the unemployment rate is skyrocketing and the economy is on completely shaky ground. I don't think people realize how easily we could take a major step backward. Sure, this country could provide itself with food if prepared. But the days of real government surplus are over. And most common folks have no idea how to really go about growing food for themselves. Sure, anyone can throw some seeds in the ground but actually making them productive takes care and knowledge. Knowledge that has nearly been lost by most of the younger generation. What do you think would happen tomorrow if the lights went out for good and the trucks stopped bringing food to the grocery store? Utter chaos! And that's just to start with. Once the limited supply of food ran out we would have nation wide anarchy.

So we should always remember how fragile we really are and how much we are at the mercy of this very delicate system. Forgetting that could bring a tragic end to a glorious age of man.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:47 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Well I'm not an immigrant. I believe 80% of people in the USA are not immigrants.

We're not a country with acres and acreas of unused land anymore. We're at the point where we have to decide if we really want to double in population every few decades, pave over farm land, chop down our national forests to build housing projects on that land instead.

We can simply say anyone in the world "who wants a better life" can just hop on the next ship, train, or semi truck and come an get it. We can put them all on food stamps if they cannot learn English or any job skills. We don't have to wait 40 years to double the population, it can be doubled and quadrupled in just a couple years.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:48 PM

5 posts, read 31,019 times
It's funny how it's all the predominantly "white" countries that people want to immigrate to isn't it? U.S., Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Europe. The very people blamed for oppressing...are the people they want to live with...maybe, because it is a superior culture?

Old 10-30-2008, 10:58 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,755 times
Quote:
It's funny how it's all the predominantly "white" countries that people want to immigrate to isn't it? U.S., Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Europe. The very people blamed for oppressing...are the people they want to live with...maybe, because it is a superior culture?
True you don't see people trying to immigrate to Nonwhite countries like Iran, Guatemala, Sierra Leone, Cambodia, etc in large numbers.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
we did not come over by invitation we stayed because nobody ran us off. same for mexican people. america simply does not have the volition to enforce its INS law, the law is becoming meaningless.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:23 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,867,648 times
The original poster has glamorized how it was when our relatives came here as immigrants. Most of them were treated like dogs, worked like dogs and were taken advantage of by business. Hence, the creation of unions to protect them. There was no ESL and programs like that because these people, like my grandparents, did mential labor jobs that did not require one to speak English. But their children, like my parents, went to school and learned English. Lest we forget, that it's fellow Americans that make money by employing illegals and it's fellow Americans that make money by sending our jobs overseas. Much of your blame should be towards us - legal Americans. Sure, many of us pay higher taxes to support illegals, but if big business and our government really wanted this problem resolved, they'd find better solutions. Illegals are here to live a better life. And those lives cost some of us money and make others of us money. My ancestors may have come here legally, but they by no means had it easy and even back in the period of 1900-1930, there were Americans who were mad that these legal immigrants were coming over. Much like the Mexicans for instance, European and Jewish immigrants live in enclaves, in ghettos and the adults spoke broken or poor English. So for those of you who have ancestors who were here when the nation was founded, my guess is that your forefathers in somehow benefited from either slavey or the cheap immigrant labor of Europeans, or perhaps both. Sure it costs more money to manufacture things in the US. Primarily because we have labor laws in place. We don't have 13 year old children making shoes for 10 hours a day. Or young women working in front of sewing machines in sweltering conditions without a lunch break. We have ship/train containers enter this country in the Port of Los Angeles filled with things made in China and 75% of them are shipped back to China empty! But we can all buy a t shirt at Walmart for $8.00. We can get our grass cut for $25 by Mexican landscapers and we buy our veggies and fruits cheaply because many of them are picked by migrant workers. Our US companies take full advantage of these immigrants and when they sick, they go to the emergency room because none of the businesses are providing them with healthcare. And it's too expensive for most of them to buy. I don't see an easy to solution to this problem, but don't think immigrant bashing is always founded. Immigrants sweat and blood built our railroads, highways, roads, skyscrapers, tunnels, etc and many of them died in the process. So they didn't speak English. Give them a break.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:38 PM

608 posts, read 923,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
The original poster has glamorized how it was when our relatives came here as immigrants. Most of them were treated like dogs, worked like dogs and were taken advantage of by business. Hence, the creation of unions to protect them. There was no ESL and programs like that because these people, like my grandparents, did mential labor jobs that did not require one to speak English. But their children, like my parents, went to school and learned English. Lest we forget, that it's fellow Americans that make money by employing illegals and it's fellow Americans that make money by sending our jobs overseas. Much of your blame should be towards us - legal Americans. Sure, many of us pay higher taxes to support illegals, but if big business and our government really wanted this problem resolved, they'd find better solutions. Illegals are here to live a better life. And those lives cost some of us money and make others of us money. My ancestors may have come here legally, but they by no means had it easy and even back in the period of 1900-1930, there were Americans who were mad that these legal immigrants were coming over. Much like the Mexicans for instance, European and Jewish immigrants live in enclaves, in ghettos and the adults spoke broken or poor English. So for those of you who have ancestors who were here when the nation was founded, my guess is that your forefathers in somehow benefited from either slavey or the cheap immigrant labor of Europeans, or perhaps both. Sure it costs more money to manufacture things in the US. Primarily because we have labor laws in place. We don't have 13 year old children making shoes for 10 hours a day. Or young women working in front of sewing machines in sweltering conditions without a lunch break. We have ship/train containers enter this country in the Port of Los Angeles filled with things made in China and 75% of them are shipped back to China empty! But we can all buy a t shirt at Walmart for $8.00. We can get our grass cut for $25 by Mexican landscapers and we buy our veggies and fruits cheaply because many of them are picked by migrant workers. Our US companies take full advantage of these immigrants and when they sick, they go to the emergency room because none of the businesses are providing them with healthcare. And it's too expensive for most of them to buy. I don't see an easy to solution to this problem, but don't think immigrant bashing is always founded. Immigrants sweat and blood built our railroads, highways, roads, skyscrapers, tunnels, etc and many of them died in the process. So they didn't speak English. Give them a break.
I can see your point, but I still can´t support illegals taking US jobs and driving down the wages of US workers. Only know that the one thing I oppose more than the illegals that chose this path by their own free will are the employers that support this sick form of slave labor! The unending greed of these executives has helped to create a myth of hope for the illegal, and also destroy the lifestyle of the average blue collar US citizen. The illegals don´t genarally deserve our hate, only a ride home...as for the @@@holes that employ them at the cost of our own citizens...no mercy for those that prey upon the weak.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:34 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Just a quick word on the socalled cheap products that are a result of illegal immgrant labor. I call BS on that. The employer pockets the savings and passes none on to we the consumers. I buy milk produced on farms locally. No Immigrant labor involved. Same price as milk anywhere else.
Fruits and vegetables. Harvested locally is cheaper than in off season. Not much cheaper but then no need for transcontinental shipping.
T-shirts for $8.00? Mine are all made over seas. I hate it but good luck finding something made here. Once again no illegal labor was invoved.
Houses... My house was built using only legal citizens. I know this for a fact because I made sure of it as it was built. I know someone who built a simular house. The contractor used illegals on the masonary, drywall, and roofing. If you back out the costs of my upgrades he paid the same as I did. NO Savings. This is a myth propigated by those who wish to justify illegal labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration