Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 11:54 PM

608 posts, read 1,005,112 times

Advertisements

It may be perceived that Mexico encourages immigration to the US but they are actually concerned as well. So, a viable solutions or just rhetoric.

James A. Baker III Institute for Public Policy Rice University | News | Mexican Ambassador Arturo Sarukhan speaks at the Baker Institute

Quote:
Bound by economics and a common border, the United States and Mexico have become strong trade partners, but immigration and security issues will continue to challenge the next American president, Ambassador Arturo Sarukhan said at an Oct. 20 appearance at the Baker Institute.
In my opinion... This is all part of the NAFTA integration plan.
Quote:
For its part, Mexico wants every citizen who crosses into the United States to do so legally, whether through a temporary worker program or a more flexible visa program at ports of entry, said Sarukhan. He believes the U.S. will be much better off if it knows the names, addresses and home countries of the millions of currently undocumented immigrants who live and work within its borders.
Believe it or not, it is not just uneducated poor tomato pickers coming here from Mexico. Teachers, professionals and University graduates are also part of the immigration tide to the US.
Quote:
Immigration reform is also essential for Mexico which is “bleeding human talent,” he said. As Mexico’s labor force ages, fewer workers will attempt to enter the United States and fewer will be left in Mexico to help the country grow as a nation, Sarukhan said.
Noooo say it isn't so!

Quote:
“As Mexico seeks to shut down the flow of drugs coming through our country into the United States, we need the support of the United States to shut down the flow of weapons, bulk cash and chemical precursors which originate in the United States, transit through the United States and go into Mexico and feed organized crime there,” he said.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:08 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
you know, last year people were all up in arms when fox or some other mexican representative spoke at harvard or yale or somewhere.

i suggested all these looney tunes from this forum to go listen to him and what he has to say. boy did i see some resistance from posters.

instead of trying to understand the problem, and find solutions on both sides of the border, these folks just wanted to complain some more. why do they need to hear about mexico and its problems, its a "cesspool" (i am paraphrasing, i do not beleive that statement in the least), its a corrupt culture, etc etc etc.

if i were by rice i would check it out. to see what exactly is being done on mexicos side. or to see what can be done on this side. to learn about problems and hopefully stem the flow of illegals.

these posters usually dont think like that. no infiltration skills. they aint interested in this. its a bit too complicated for them. they prefer to tip tap away at a keyboard. oh and they write letters. and get wrapped up in mexican flags at marches...

thanks for the heads up.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:19 PM

608 posts, read 1,005,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
you know, last year people were all up in arms when fox or some other mexican representative spoke at harvard or yale or somewhere.

i suggested all these looney tunes from this forum to go listen to him and what he has to say. boy did i see some resistance from posters.

instead of trying to understand the problem, and find solutions on both sides of the border, these folks just wanted to complain some more. why do they need to hear about mexico and its problems, its a "cesspool" (i am paraphrasing, i do not beleive that statement in the least), its a corrupt culture, etc etc etc.

if i were by rice i would check it out. to see what exactly is being done on mexicos side. or to see what can be done on this side. to learn about problems and hopefully stem the flow of illegals.

these posters usually dont think like that. no infiltration skills. they aint interested in this. its a bit too complicated for them. they prefer to tip tap away at a keyboard. oh and they write letters. and get wrapped up in mexican flags at marches...

thanks for the heads up.
You're welcome. I try to understand both sides. The one thing I am convinced is that there needs to be some sort of border and immigration control but the devil is all in the details. We have yet to discover which details actually work. Anyway, I expect this thread to die a quick death.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:29 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
I am heartened to hear of this Mexican official. He is right, there needs to be a way that people who want to work in the US but still maintain citizenship with Mexico be allowed to do so. Legally. Personally, I think that there are a large percentage of Mexican nationals now living here illegally who would prefer not to become US citizens, but would rather be able to work here and travel back home easily and again, legally.
Now, you are referring to when Fox spoke at a university and really, do you think what he had to say was anything like Sarukhan? I'm sure someone will be able to pull that article up quite easily, but wasn't Fox advocating open borders and amnesty based soley on Mexicos proximity to the US? Total BS, especially when compared with how vigilantly and some say brutally Mexico protects its border with Guatamala.
Thinking Fox is a blowhard does not make a person ignorant.
I hope that Obamas team listens to Sarukhan, and maybe find better ways to solve this problem that does not include amnesty, but does include strict border regulation and a revamped guest worker program.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:34 PM

the point was, not wanting to know both sides of the issue makes people ignorant. otherwise i agree with you.

i will search for that thread.

it might have been someone other than fox. my memory is foggy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I am heartened to hear of this Mexican official. He is right, there needs to be a way that people who want to work in the US but still maintain citizenship with Mexico be allowed to do so. Legally. Personally, I think that there are a large percentage of Mexican nationals now living here illegally who would prefer not to become US citizens, but would rather be able to work here and travel back home easily and again, legally.
Now, you are referring to when Fox spoke at a university and really, do you think what he had to say was anything like Sarukhan? I'm sure someone will be able to pull that article up quite easily, but wasn't Fox advocating open borders and amnesty based soley on Mexicos proximity to the US? Total BS, especially when compared with how vigilantly and some say brutally Mexico protects its border with Guatamala.
I hope that Obamas team listens to Sarukhan, and maybe find better ways to solve this problem that does not include amnesty, but does include strict border regulation and a revamped guest worker program.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:46 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Until there is a change in the 14th and a stop to the pillage of social services the only tools we have are a big fence and lot's of Border Patrol.

When you let someone come here to work legally and they have a kid that is a citizen by the stupid law you have a problem then too.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:36 PM

6 posts, read 11,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Camping!, a big, big WORD! to everything you said. Legalization, that's the way.

Quote:
“As Mexico seeks to shut down the flow of drugs coming through our country into the United States, we need the support of the United States to shut down the flow of weapons, bulk cash and chemical precursors which originate in the United States, transit through the United States and go into Mexico and feed organized crime there,” he said.
Smart guy, very smart.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:02 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:

thanks for the heads up.
I’m sure you’re familiar with the old adage: “You get more bees with honey than with vinegar.” How do you expect to be taken seriously by the anti-illegal posters on this forum, while you constantly berate and offend? Is it necessary to refer to posters as ignorant, loonies, or other derogatory terms simply because we may not agree with your position on an issue? You spend more time spewing insults than actually engaging in dialogue. It’s very ugly, and pubescent.

Correct me if I’m mistaken, but I can’t recall ever calling you or any other pro-illegal poster stupid, ignorant, or loony. Admittedly, I do have occasional “senior moments” but I honestly do not recall using such derogatory terms in reference to posters.

Unless you know the posters personally, you have no knowledge of what they may or may not do to exact change in this country. I assure you, we do more than simply sit behind a keyboard.

I agree with 1AngryTaxPayer. Until we eliminate the magnets; in particular, the 14th Amendment, all the talk in the world and all of the well-intentioned strategies will amount to zilch.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:11 PM

admittedly ther eare loonies. like that ezperanze or beatriz girl that came here real quick. and a couple other posters around here.

i didnt pinpoint anyone in particular. if someone feels the shoe fits, let them wear it.

loony tunes come on both sides of this issue.

insults? really? did i offend you?
if not, let the offended party come forward. i would like to engage them.

or are they too busy letter writing?

in the end, i aint worried about none of these folks here. its more of an eye opening experience. some people are REALLY ignorant.

but knowing how they think helps me counteract what they do. or might want to do.

either way its not biggie.
cool your jets. you aint one of the loonies on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I’m sure you’re familiar with the old adage: “You get more bees with honey than with vinegar.” How do you expect to be taken seriously by the anti-illegal posters on this forum, while you constantly berate and offend? Is it necessary to refer to posters as ignorant, loonies, or other derogatory terms simply because we may not agree with your position on an issue? You spend more time spewing insults than actually engaging in dialogue. It’s very ugly, and pubescent.

Correct me if I’m mistaken, but I can’t recall ever calling you or any other pro-illegal poster stupid, ignorant, or loony. Admittedly, I do have occasional “senior moments” but I honestly do not recall using such derogatory terms in reference to posters.

Unless you know the posters personally, you have no knowledge of what they may or may not do to exact change in this country. I assure you, we do more than simply sit behind a keyboard.

I agree with 1AngryTaxPayer. Until we eliminate the magnets; in particular, the 14th Amendment, all the talk in the world and all of the well-intentioned strategies will amount to zilch.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:20 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
admittedly ther eare loonies. like that ezperanze or beatriz girl that came here real quick. and a couple other posters around here.

i didnt pinpoint anyone in particular. if someone feels the shoe fits, let them wear it.

loony tunes come on both sides of this issue.

insults? really? did i offend you?
if not, let the offended party come forward. i would like to engage them.

or are they too busy letter writing?

in the end, i aint worried about none of these folks here. its more of an eye opening experience. some people are REALLY ignorant.

but knowing how they think helps me counteract what they do. or might want to do.

either way its not biggie.
cool your jets. you aint one of the loonies on here.
Clearly, anger management is warranted. You obviously have ‘issues’ unrelated to your stance on illegal immigration, this forum, or the posters. Hopefully, you will soon find solace through their resolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration