Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2009, 06:43 PM

479 posts, read 661,138 times

Advertisements

EL PASO — From a rocky desert promontory a few miles west of town, Border Patrol Agent Joe Romero looked down into the tranquil, sunlit streets of Anapra, Mexico, and Sunland Park, N.M.

Not long ago, these adjacent communities were separated only by a few hundred yards of open desert, a chain-link fence and a nearly invisible international boundary.

When the sun dropped in the west, this bleak outpost became a chaotic hotspot for Border Patrol agents trying to intercept drugs and immigrants entering the United States.
Moderator cut: shortened, copyright protection

The rest of the story...it's a good read!
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/Fence_protects_while_it_divides.html

Last edited by Yac; 03-04-2009 at 02:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 07:15 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
I love a happy ending

Old 03-03-2009, 07:24 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,145,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I love a happy ending
As do I

No wonder our illegal alien apologists are becoming more and more upset----------they in their hearts realize the party is over

Old 03-03-2009, 08:02 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
“That's the irony of the whole thing. The wall is not a good thing. We're trying to wall off two cities that shouldn't be walled off,” former Mayor Francis said.

“But we've had a huge number of gruesome deaths within yards of our border. I'd rather fight the problem over in Mexico than in El Paso. I don't want them shooting people in El Paso.”
Fighting for the best interest of YOUR city, duh!!!

I liken this fence to a play on Monday Night Football a few years back between the Raiders and Broncos. The raiders had 4th and short and gave the ball to a running back and had him leap for the first. The Broncos middle linebacker came straight for the RB hit him enough to make a loud coillison and kept the Raiders from getting the first. Let's just say our fence and border agents be like that Broncos MLB more often than not.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:19 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,582,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Fighting for the best interest of YOUR city, duh!!!

I liken this fence to a play on Monday Night Football a few years back between the Raiders and Broncos. The raiders had 4th and short and gave the ball to a running back and had him leap for the first. The Broncos middle linebacker came straight for the RB hit him enough to make a loud coillison and kept the Raiders from getting the first. Let's just say our fence and border agents be like that Broncos MLB more often than not.
That is a great analogy. I love football.

As a New England Patriots fan, I want to use my own analogy from one of their games. There was a Colts vs Pats game a few years back. The Colts were inside the Pats 1 yd line with 14 seconds left in the game and were trailing 38-34. It was do or die for both teams. The Pats defense stopped the Colts 4 times and won the game. It was the goal line stand of the century. Our border defense need to be like the Pat's goal line defense.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:27 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,506,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
That is a great analogy. I love football.

As a New England Patriots fan, I want to use my own analogy from one of their games. There was a Colts vs Pats game a few years back. The Colts were inside the Pats 1 yd line with 14 seconds left in the game and were trailing 38-34. It was do or die for both teams. The Pats defense stopped the Colts 4 times and won the game. It was the goal line stand of the century. Our border defense need to be like the Pat's goal line defense.

Patriots=Cheaters
Brady doesnt have the cannon manning has!

and honestly what does 3ft of higher fence will do?

Old 03-03-2009, 08:27 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,851,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I love a happy ending
Just what I was going to say!

Old 03-03-2009, 08:39 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,145,796 times
Quote:
But, he conceded, a massive wave of drug violence in Ciudad Juárez has muted opposition in El Paso.

With killings just across the river running at 200 a month and some wealthy Ciudad Juárez residents already seeking shelter in El Paso, many now see the barrier as a welcome protective shield.
Fence protects while it divides (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/Fence_protects_while_it_divides.html - broken link)

Interesting how hostility towards that fence is dwindling away............

Old 03-04-2009, 04:23 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,561,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgewalker View Post
EL PASO — From a rocky desert promontory a few miles west of town, Border Patrol Agent Joe Romero looked down into the tranquil, sunlit streets of Anapra, Mexico, and Sunland Park, N.M.

Not long ago, these adjacent communities were separated only by a few hundred yards of open desert, a chain-link fence and a nearly invisible international boundary.

When the sun dropped in the west, this bleak outpost became a chaotic hotspot for Border Patrol agents trying to intercept drugs and immigrants entering the United States.
Moderator cut: shortened, copyright protection

The rest of the story...it's a good read!
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/Fence_protects_while_it_divides.html
Interesting story. What isn't made clear in the article is that Union Pacific (the railroad) pushed the construction of this fence and financed a large part of it.

The UP, leaving El Paso for California, crosses the Rio Grande from Texas into New Mexico, just a few hundred yards north of the Texas-New Mexico-Chihuahua (Mex) tri-point. It runs around a small hill and then BACK to the international border where it runs westward for almost a mile just a few feet from the line.

Being so close to the busy rail yards of El Paso, incoming trains often slowed to walking speed here, or stopped altogether to wait for clearance. At this point, it was a simple matter for thieves to cross the border in pickup trucks, board container trains, break open locked containers, and begin pitching anything they found to accomplices in the truck.

This was often actually observed by law enforcement on the US side, but at their first approach, the entire 'gang' could just hop off and head the 40' or so across the border, where they became "beyond the reach" of railroad detectives, etc.

Because of the unique setting, the fence here was money well spent. The Mexican side is a densely populated suburb of Juarez, while the US side is a rather empty stretch of desert. It was a sistuation where effective law enforcement was just about impossible, and the "physical barrier" was the only way to go. The railroad was pleased with the performance of the fence when it was installed some years ago.

There are similar places in the California desert where long trains are slowed by steep grades in extremely remote areas, making them easy targets for thieves who 'hop on' and work with helpers moving alongside in ATV's or SUV's, stripping the train of 'goodies' (computers, cameras, all sorts of electronics), as it moves slowly uphill. But fences don't always work here, and other methods are used to catch the 'bad guys' at these 'weak points'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration