Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 05:20 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,963 times

Advertisements

In a msnbc.com article regarding Obama's visit to Mexico;

Obama: We are absolutely committed to working in partnership with Mexico to make sure that we are dealing with this scourge on both sides of the border.

Calderon: We recognize that in order to grow and prosper, Mexico needs the United States investment and the United States of America needs the strength of the Mexican labor force.

That sums it up. We are in this together!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 05:27 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,411,011 times
What a bad joke . . we don't need mexico or mexicans to do a damn thing except get the hell out of our country and our pockets.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:28 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Somehow I find it hard to trust these two..they're politicians, and not always responsible for what they say. What "scourge" is Obama talking about? The Zetas? The Drug Cartels?

Mexico needs American investment? In what, exactly? America needs Mexican labor? At a time of record-setting unemployment? How does THAT work?

No personal insult to you, Zacatecana....but these two?...I'm not sure I'd hold my breath. Politicians say a LOT of things....and they "agree" with just about everybody.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:45 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post

Obama: We are absolutely committed to working in partnership with Mexico to make sure that we are dealing with this scourge on both sides of the border.

Calderon: We recognize that in order to grow and prosper, Mexico needs the United States investment and the United States of America needs the strength of the Mexican labor force.

I must disagree. We are not in this together. One country takes (Mexico), and the other country gives (US). Mexico dumped its underclass on the taxpayers of this country, and in return they receive billions in remittances. It’s a GREAT deal for Mexico, but the U.S. is royally screwed.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:49 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Obama once again demonstrates that there is no azz that he is not willing to kiss.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:59 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I must disagree. We are not in this together. One country takes (Mexico), and the other country gives (US). Mexico dumped its underclass on the taxpayers of this country, and in return they receive billions in remittances. It’s a GREAT deal for Mexico, but the U.S. is royally screwed.
As you stated.

We do not need Mexico nearly as badly as they need the USA to survive/prosper.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:12 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
As you stated.

We do not need Mexico nearly as badly as they need the USA to survive/prosper.
I've always maintained this....you're right. We SHOULD, you'd think, be 'in the driver's seat'. And while I don't think we should 'scr*w' Mexico...or even neccessarily 'drive a hard bargain'...the fact is, that if we drove ANY sort of bargain at ALL...if we just used a small PORTION of our leverage, or demanded a TINY amount of respect....you'd THINK we could get Mexico to 'cooperate' willingly in any shared venture, for their OWN benefit....and that they'd be GLAD to comply with a few very reasonable requests.

Heck, who knows? They MIGHT even end up RESPECTING us....if we could ONLY pretend that we respected ourselves.

But, I guess that's just a 'dream'...respect must be demanded, or it won't be given. silly me.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:46 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,478,559 times
Quote:

At least they both recognize that illegal aliens from Mexico are a real problem.

Quote:

What a hoot! Are your serious?

Here is what El Presidente Calderon is really saying:

The US needs to send us untold billions of dollars and in return we will dump all of our poorest, most unskilled and least educable citizens on them! What a deal!

Old 04-17-2009, 02:34 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,963 times
In this other article (sorry its in spanish), Calderon states that drug/cartel violence has diminished 27% in this first trimester and that 90% of the weapons confiscated from organized crime were obtained through the U.S.

México y EU acuerdan detener el tráfico de armas :: Noticieros Televisa

Sounds like we are making progress on both sides

Old 04-17-2009, 07:22 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
In this other article (sorry its in spanish), Calderon states that drug/cartel violence has diminished 27% in this first trimester and that 90% of the weapons confiscated from organized crime were obtained through the U.S.

México y EU acuerdan detener el tráfico de armas :: Noticieros Televisa

Sounds like we are making progress on both sides
If that '90% weapon from the USA' figure is indeed correct----------all the more reason to close/lock our southern border going in both directions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration